MaroonBoy

Senior List
Jun 6, 2003
Hobart 7000
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
FFC(Roys), Manly, Feyenoord, Barca.
Chris Johnson and Brett Cook are the guest players speaking at the Fitzroy - Brisbane Lions Historical Society function this Friday, 31 July, 7.30pm. Venue is the usual one: Fitzroy Bowling Club.

Bookings essential - ring the Brisbane Lions Vic office to do so.

(I'm going - yah! It's my first Historical Society night for about 3 years - am in Melbourne for the Lions V Pies clash on Saturday night)

MaroonBoy

The next one will be huge.

I always enjoy working them as a lot of the old timers are great value.

Bumping an old thread to promote the Historical Society - this is what I posted on the Lions forum:

The Fitzroy-Brisbane Lions Historical Society came about as a result of the Merger in 1996. It has been going since that time but it hasn't ever really had an online presence or been widely promoted outside of the people that have become Historical Society members / attended its functions.

However, the Historical Society (along with the Club itself) has been responsible for some of the best initiatives to preserve our Club's history and unique identity and to ensure that lives on in the present generation. This includes buying replica Cups for Fitzroy's premierships, setting up the museum at Etihad, and being responsible for organising numerous functions and assisting with the Club's own major functions (such as the Hall of Fame).

Anyway, as one of 253 members of the Historical Society in 2012 I thought I would give it some promotion here. Anyone can join up, it is only $20.

Here is the link to the Historical Society / Museum webpage on the Lions site, and an application form for membership, and the just started Facebook page.

http://www.lions.com.au/Club/history/fitzroy-lions-history/historical-society-museum

http://www.lions.com.au/Club/histor...-society-museum/historical-society-membership

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fitzroy-Brisbane-Lions-Historical-Society/350602945054054?ref=stream

Obviously the membership probably offers more benefit if you live in Melbourne and can attend functions, but it does help to preserve our combined history including that of the Brisbane Bears - so it is worthwhile even if you live elsewhere.

The Historical Society is having its first annual dinner at which it will honour Bill Stephen and I guess help raise funds for the Society / the museum at Docklands.

Details are now on Fitzroy's website, including the booking form and contact details:
http://www.fitzroyfc.com.au/

The Historical Society are pleased to announce details of its first annual Museum Dinner, which will pay tribute to one of the true gentlemen of the game who gave outstanding service and dedication to Fitzroy – Bill Stephen.
Bill commenced his career with the Club in 1947, playing 162 senior games alongside no less than 92 senior teammates. He later enjoyed a number of successful coaching stints with Fitzroy, which spanned more than two decades and saw him shape the VFL careers of 147 senior players and countless other reserve-grade footballers.
The evening will include entertaining interviews with not only the great man himself, but also many of his former teammates and pupils. Among the main topics of discussion will be some of his greatest highlights – including the Royal Game played before Her Majesty the Queen in 1970, Fitzroy’s record-breaking match against Melbourne, and the 1979 Finals Series.
Former Fitzroy President Leon Wiegard will host the event, on Wednesday 31st July, which will also feature a range of rare and exclusive memorabilia items available for auction and as raffle prizes.
Tickets are $65 per person and includes a three course meal, as well as tea and coffee (drinks at bar prices).
Special Pre-function Tickets
A limited number of pre-function tickets are available for $115 per person, and include pre-dinner drinks with the past players in attendance, a complimentary photograph with guest of honour Bill Stephen, and priority seating inside the function room.
This will be a great night for all Fitzroy members and supporters, so get along to the Veneto Club on Wednesday 31st July.
Details:Date: Wednesday 31 July 2013
Venue: Veneto Club, Bulleen Road, Bulleen
Time: 7pm

Here is another nice article from the Lions website about Bill Stephen.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2013-07-11/society-salutes-stephen

Society salutes Stephen

If Kevin Murray is the most prevailing figure from Fitzroy’s 100-year VFL/AFL history, then Bill Stephen would run a close second.

In fact, Murray himself affectionately refers to Stephen as ‘Mr Fitzroy’.

In terms of his contribution to the Club, he has done it all.

He played 162 senior games, coached a total of 214 matches across four decades (a Fitzroy record), and later served on Fitzroy’s match committee

Did'nt he pen the theme song of the roys too?

Yeah that's right, I just checked in the great book Maroon and Blue, which has a short chapter about it. Bill came up with the idea on an end of season trip with the team to WA in 1952 after seeing the movie Casablanca, and then came up with the words with a few other players helping out as well.

Anyone have any idea when tickets are being sent out for the event next Wednesday night.

Sent off the form approximately 4 weeks ago and heard absolutely nothing despite the credit card being debited. If I don't receive them by Tuesday or hear anything, looks like I made a donation for two full tickets.

Its all well and good being run by volunteers etc. but surely one should expect better than that.

Will have nothing to do or contribute with the Society if I hear or receive nothing by Tuesday. Just not good enough.

You should give the Lions Melbourne office a call Dylan.

I would assume your seats have been booked but something just got stuffed up somewhere in the mail out (which happens sometimes when AFL Clubs themselves are running things let alone very old volunteers).

There is another Historical Society dinner on September 4 - this time for Robert Walls, who is going overseas for a year. Matt Rendall and Scott Clayton will be there - it is being held at the Fitzroy Bowling Club.

See the details on the FFC website
http://www.fitzroyfc.com.au/

The Fitzroy museum at Etihad Stadium (which also has Brisbane Bears and Brisbane Lions memorabilia) has apparently been extended / fitted out even further.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2013-12-05/more-history-on-show

The already extensive collection of Fitzroy memorabilia housed at Etihad Stadium has just gotten even bigger – with the Fitzroy-Brisbane Lions Historical Society installing a further 15 window boxes to commemorate some of Club’s all-time greats.

Museum Custodian Arthur Wilson said a considerable increase in Historical Society membership, coupled with some hugely successful functions in 2013, ultimately helped fund the recent extension.

“It’s a real credit to the supporters of our Historical Society, whose membership and attendance at functions has made this all possible,” Wilson said.

“The new displays are dedicated to some of Fitzroy’s finest – including Hall of Fame Legends Kevin Murray and Haydn Bunton – who have all generously loaned us items from their personal collections for fans to enjoy.”

Bill Stephen, Paul Roos, Norm Brown, Garry Wilson, Percy Parratt, Jim Freake, John Murphy and Fred Hughson are among others who are now honoured with their own display.

But the Historical Society isn’t done just yet – with plans to enhance their Museum further early next year.

“We’re committed to displaying as many old Fitzroy artefacts as we can to effectively honour all those players who represented this great Club in the past,” Wilson said.

Fans interested on visiting the new-look Historical Society Museum are advised to contact either Arthur Wilson (0405 565 814) or Bob Forrest (0407 568 754) to book a guided tour.

Tours are FREE for existing Historical Society members, and $5 for any non-members or guests.

All proceeds will go back into making continual improvements to the Museum over time.

2014 Historical Society memberships, which are still only $20, will go on sale early in the New Year.

An article about tours to the Fitzroy museum at Etihad stadium and how to become a member of the Fitzroy-Brisbane Lions Historical Society:

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-01-29/tours-of-the-museum

The Fitzroy-Brisbane Lions Historical Society will be conducting guided tours of the Museum at Etihad Stadium every Monday, Wednesday and Friday throughout 2014.

Fitzroy and Brisbane Lions fans, along with football lovers in general, will enjoy the extensive collection of Club memorabilia, which includes seven of Fitzroy’s premiership cups and a range of other items dating back to 1883.

The first tour commences at 12pm, and will be followed by a second at 2pm.

Tours are FREE for all 2014 Historical Society members, while non-member adults ($5) and pensioners/students ($4) will be charged a small fee.

I just received the latest newsletter from the Historical Society and they have also put out a notice asking for donations or loans of old Fitzroy memorabillia that could be put in the museum (I think they mentioned things like photos, jumpers, membership badges, etc...). So if you have any special piece of Fitzroy memorabillia that is fairly rare that you don't mine loaning out or donating then think about giving the Historical Society a call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is an article on the Lions website about the death of George Coates at age 90, a Fitzroy legend.

George played 128 games for Fitzroy between 1947 and 1954. He then went on to help the Club off-field, and all up he served Fitzroy for over 40 years, including 21 years as Vice President.

He then played a leading role with Arthur Wilson in setting up and running the Fitzroy-Brisbane Lions Historical Society since the merger.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-02-18/vale-george-coates

There is an article on the Lions website about the death of George Coates at age 90, a Fitzroy legend.

George played 128 games for Fitzroy between 1947 and 1954. He then went on to help the Club off-field, and all up he served Fitzroy for over 40 years, including 21 years as Vice President.

He then played a leading role with Arthur Wilson in setting up and running the Fitzroy-Brisbane Lions Historical Society since the merger.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-02-18/vale-george-coates
May be should have his own site, was Michael ( who played for the Roy's ) his son? I'm not sure.

I just read Fitzroy Football Club's tribute to George Coates that they posted back on February 18 on the FFC website http://www.fitzroyfc.com.au/

It includes the story I had read before but had forgotten that George Coates was largely responsible for what became the iconic "Fitzroy Lion":

George was also widely credited with helping to design the iconic Fitzroy lion logo in 1965, after Fitzroy had won just one match during the 1963 and 1964 seasons.
"The Lion they originally had was a Lion rampart. He's got his paw in the air and he standing up, he's vertical. It's an old public school image of a Lion, all very English and it was all sort of NTTAWWTy. In 1965, we came onto the committee and said, 'Let's get something that shows we mean business, that we're powerful and strong. The Lion's a terrific figure, let's exploit it.' We needed to show we are a positive force, so that's what we did. I said to Dave, the art director at my company 'Do something with the Lion, put his foot resting on the ball or something similar' and he came up with the design that's still the one the [Brisbane] Lions use today. So it's been like that since 1965." he stated in 2006.

The Historical Society are holding their annual dinner on the 21st of August. This year they are going to be presenting medals to past Fitzroy Best and Fairest winners.

But did you know that for a period throughout Fitzroy’s history, the winners of the annual Club Champion award didn’t necessarily receive a medal?

Instead, players could nominate a different type of gift, which would include everything from golf clubs to outdoor settings, and any other household or personal items they might have needed at the time
Former Fitzroy Best and Fairest Norm Brown revealed upon his induction into the Brisbane Lions’ Hall of Fame last month that he still had the coffee table he received for one of his three triumphs in the mid-60s.

In light of this fact, the Fitzroy-Brisbane Lions Historical Society will present a special medallion to all those former Fitzroy Best and Fairest winners who might no longer have anything to show for their achievements, at their annual dinner on Thursday 21 August.

The event, to be held at Moonlight Receptions in Fitzroy, is set to feature some of the biggest names from Fitzroy...

Check out the full article / details at the following link:
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-06-20/fitzroy-best-fairests

And by the way, here is the full list of Fitzroy best and fairest winners (in the VFL / AFL):
http://www.lions.com.au/Club/history/fitzroy-lions-history/club-champions

I wonder why there were so many years in the late 20's / 30's when it wasn't awarded? Perhaps due to the depression the Club couldn't afford it???

You can understand some of the war years being out (16-17 and 39-42). But there are a fair few other gaps as well: 1897, 1901-02, 1916-17, 1928, 1930-33, and 1936-42. It would be good if there was enough info to award retrospective medals for those missing years as well (Bunton would probably have won another 2-3 B&F's for instance), perhaps even going back to the Club's formation (in 1883) with our first season in 1884 I think. I am sure relatives (if they could be found) would be delighted to receive medals - although no doubt it would be a huge task to research it all / track people down.

On a similar track it was interesting to see the following article in The Age suggesting the AFL was considering acknowledging premierships won in the VFA before the VFL was formed - which would add one more to Fitzroy's total (bringing it to 9).

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...uld-be-turned-on-its-head-20140620-zsglu.html

Just for interest sake I put together what the full premiership tally list might look like if taken from 1870
- that is VFA 1870 to 1896
- VFL 1897 to 1989
- AFL 1990 to today
  • Carlton 22
  • Essendon 20
  • Collingwood 16
  • Geelong 16
  • Melbourne 15
  • Lions 12* [putting together Fitzroy 9 and Brisbane's 3 - which is arguable, but looks better]
  • Hawthorn 11
  • Richmond 10
  • South Melbourne / Sydney 10
  • Fitzroy 9
  • North 4
  • Brisbane 3
  • West Coast 3
  • Adelaide 2
  • St.Kilda 1
  • Footscray / Western Bulldogs 1
  • Port Adelaide 1
  • Fremantle 0
  • Gold Coast 0
  • GWS 0
  • University 0
Between 1870 and 1896 in the VFA
- Geelong won 7 premierships
- Carlton 6
- South 5
- Essendon 4
- Melbourne 3
- Fitzroy 1
- Collingwood 1

Just been looking up some Aussie rules history and I saw the VFA actually didn't start until 1877. So the premierships referred to from 1870 to 1876 in Caroline Wilson's article are surely a bit dodgy (even if the list was from a 1915 footy record).

Taking those years out would reduce Carlton's tally to 18 and Melbourne's to 12.

I wonder whether 1870 was the first operation of the VFA as an overseeing body. It was just mob you could be a member of, like Football Victoria is, for instance. Member clubs included places like Castlemaine and Inglewood.

An established fixtured competition is probably what happened in 1877.

(without running off and looking it all up lol)

I'm posting here what I have just posted in the Lions forum, as it is just as much for Fitzroy fans who don't follow the Lions.

The Fitzroy-Brisbane Lions Historical Society's membership form for 2015 is now out - you can find it on the Lions website at the following link:

http://www.lions.com.au/Club/histor...torical-society/historical-society-membership

It is only $20 to join and the money goes to help preserving our history - especially improving the museum at Etihad. The Society is mostly focussed on preserving Fitzroy Football Club history, although it does also cover Brisbane Bears and Brisbane Lions history as well. It is run by a group of volunteers - people who have had long involvements with Fitzroy.

Here is the link to the Society's page on the Lions website for more info:

http://www.lions.com.au/historicalsociety

Remove this Banner Ad

Back