Freo robbed !!! Ball was clearly touched. AFL media trying to cover up the obvious umpire error

Remove this Banner Ad

Deflection has always been an AFL policy.
Remember Tom Hawkins taking an Olympic dive and being rewarded with a free kick? That was a perfect opportunity for the AFL to suspend a player and set a precedent that diving is NOT OK.
Instead the AFL created a storm about players pointing at the scoreboards and drawing attention to the ineptitude of the umpires.
No comment on the diver, just a new rule to prevent players from showing emotion when umpires are incompetent.

The line in the sand is where it always has been for every decision - as per the umpire's interpretation, and at his or her discretion.

If you don't want to give away a free kick for dissent, don't put yourself in a position where the umpire has grounds to make the call. Simple.
Yet they were in that position due to an incorrect call?

Personally when I've made a blue, I sheepishly cop it and absolutely would not pay dissent because my head is not right far up my own arse. If I was absolutely correct in my decision? Course I would. Why? I understand that players have emotions, that the game has a feel you need to understand. I am not immune to mistakes, and not an I immune to the consequences of those mistakes. I sign up to get personal satisfaction of calling a game fair and well, not a game a free of abuse directed at myself.

Oddly enough, umpires are not the spectacle, they are not 'the third team' as Dean Margetts likes to say, they have signed up full well knowing they're going to be the villain and therefore need the mental fortitude to withstand that.

What's more important? That umpires are kept after or the correct call is made? Depends on the level.

In juniors year ago, I had a game - it was clearly touched through a pack but the 14 year old girl goal umpire called it a goal before the field umpire could call touched (it was her first ever game). This put the team ahead, and then the siren went. Both sets of players went mental at this poor girl, she started crying, and I sprinted in as the non controlling and... elected to allow the goal to stand in solidarity with the goal umpire knowing it was wrong. Believe to this day she's still umpiring and that was 6 years ago now. I did this to both not stand for the carry on and protect the poor girl and back her in.

But at the highest level? I expect calls to called correctly, and for a response in return if they do not. It's the highest level, it's ferocious competition to get to that level of umpiring and I expect them to be able a couple of choice words.

And here is the issue. It doesn’t have to be offensive.

Dissent doesn’t have to involve swearing or bad body language.

Hence, the AFL won’t release what was said, nor should they.

It’s not relevant, and it opens the umpires up to further ridicule - mainly from keyboard warriors, many of whom won’t understand the rule.
More grey area, more uncertainty, more confusion for punters, no thanks. If the player doesn't swear, doesn't demean or 'show the umpire up' in MLB terms then it isn't dissent. This whole 'it's the vibe' commentary is rubbish.

Swings and roundabouts. That's the way it goes sometimes. You accept it and move rather.
Nah i reckon we should cry for a whole week like Freo supporters and hopefully another neutral starts a thread like this one claiming it is an AFL cover up and how hard done by we have been now?

What ya reckon Back One Out ??

I bet it is crickets chirping though most likely! 🤣

Well, well, well, well.

Win a game because of an incorrect decision

Nek Minnit

Lose a game because of incorrect decision

We didn’t lose today because of an incorrect decision. Carlton were poor and the Crows were great, moving back towards their best footy.

I would still like a Royal Commission into SABias. All video angles of the clearly untouched goal which was given a behind MUST be released by AFL house by Sunday 6pm or we RIOT. It’s cheating I tell ya. Blatant cheating.

Agreed that’s how it should be but why is it so random ?
And why does it apply to some players and not others ?
High profile players get away with a good sook all the time

Because umpires are human and make errors. Always have, always will unless we decide to get rid of them and rely 100% on technology which would be a disaster.

As for why some are umpired differently to others, it's not unique to our sport - it happens in every sport across the globe.

Yet they were in that position due to an incorrect call?
Bad luck. There are incorrect calls in every game. Sometimes they go in your favor, sometimes they don't.

Personally when I've made a blue, I sheepishly cop it and absolutely would not pay dissent because my head is not right far up my own arse. If I was absolutely correct in my decision? Course I would. Why? I understand that players have emotions, that the game has a feel you need to understand. I am not immune to mistakes, and not an I immune to the consequences of those mistakes. I sign up to get personal satisfaction of calling a game fair and well, not a game a free of abuse directed at myself.

Good for you - give yourself a pat on the back.

Not sure why that's relevant, it simply sounds like you're excusing the behavior of the player. Which is again exactly why what was said shouldn't be released.

What's more important? That umpires are kept after or the correct call is made? Depends on the level.

They are both important. An umpire making an incorrect call doesn't excuse the dissent that may come their way because of it.

Thankfully most players have learned that by now. Others are a little slower to adapt but they'll get there too in time.

But at the highest level? I expect calls to called correctly, and for a response in return if they do not. It's the highest level, it's ferocious competition to get to that level of umpiring and I expect them to be able a couple of choice words.

Then all I can suggest is you adjust your expectations, because they simply do not reflect reality.

More grey area, more uncertainty, more confusion for punters, no thanks. If the player doesn't swear, doesn't demean or 'show the umpire up' in MLB terms then it isn't dissent. This whole 'it's the vibe' commentary is rubbish.

Couldn't care less what the MLB does. This is Australian football, not American baseball.

In soccer you can get a card for umpire dissent. I believe in rugby only the captain can speak to the referee. Each sport has their own ways of dealing with these things.

What they do doesn't make it the right thing to do. Let's not pretend those sports don't have their own issues.

Well, well, well, well.

Win a game because of an incorrect decision

Nek Minnit

Lose a game because of incorrect decision

Absolute rubbish. That call happened halfwya through the third. A lot of water went under the bridge by the end of the game including Carlton being up by 16 with 7 mins to go in the last.

To compare that to a last minute of the game is nonsense.

Absolute rubbish. That call happened halfwya through the third. A lot of water went under the bridge by the end of the game including Carlton being up by 16 with 7 mins to go in the last.

To compare that to a last minute of the game is nonsense.
Still would have been worthy of a thread by a "neutral" if it wasn't Carlton being disadvantaged

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is a goal worth less in the third quarter?
This seems to be a common thought amongst AFL fans and I have never understood it. People seem to think that bad calls in Q1-Q3 are irrelevant because they didn't happen in the last two minutes of a game.

In reality, every decision that leads to a goal impacts the result no matter when it happens. Even if it just shifts momentum slightly early in the game it can have an impact on the final result.

This seems to be a common thought amongst AFL fans and I have never understood it. People seem to think that bad calls in Q1-Q3 are irrelevant because they didn't happen in the last two minutes of a game.

In reality, every decision that leads to a goal impacts the result no matter when it happens. Even if it just shifts momentum slightly early in the game it can have an impact on the final result.
Why I said before that, does that dissent get called in the first quarter? Probably not, so it getting called in the last minute doesn't sit well with me.

Either way, I'm over it lol - Freo play in such a way right now that it'll be edge of your seat stuff, haven't decided whether I like it or not yet but that's footy. Good luck for the rest of the season Carlton!

Why I said before that, does that dissent get called in the first quarter? Probably not, so it getting called in the last minute doesn't sit well with me.

Either way, I'm over it lol - Freo play in such a way right now that it'll be edge of your seat stuff, haven't decided whether I like it or not yet but that's footy. Good luck for the rest of the season Carlton!
I was referring to the post about the goal review in our game yesterday not the Freo game. Understand why you would be upset with the dissent call for sure. Good luck for the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back