Universal Love From the CEO's Desk

Remove this Banner Ad

I love Ange...but cannot see what he brings to the search for our new coach. Feels like they just wacked him in there so they could point to someone a bit left field and say "hey, look how progressive we are! Really thinking outside the box now".

Prove me wrong Ange, prove me wrong.

Ange would understand planning, preparation, delegation, man management, and would recognise a genuine presentation. I am fine with it.

Chris Judd is a masterstroke. He understands the playing group, what they need to improve on, what they will and won't respond to and what sort of kick up the arse his former teammates need and how to go about it.

Ange would understand planning, preparation, delegation, man management, and would recognise a genuine presentation. I am fine with it.

Chris Judd is a masterstroke. He understands the playing group, what they need to improve on, what they will and won't respond to and what sort of kick up the arse his former teammates need and how to go about it.
Not to mention he's very switched on. Isn't he close friends with our former VP? There's probably no one better placed to know about the turmoil at the club on every level.

Sorry, but this bit made me giggle:

It's a bit of a participation award.

Forget the bit about nearly getting the win. The fact that Murphy has stood up as leader is what we want to see and also an effort by the club to make everybody aware of how we expect our leaders to perform and at the same time shield him from any further animosity.

Somehow I don't see Judd pandering to the players.

Judd has been very disappointed with some of his teammates over the past couple of years. I could see him leaning towards more professionalism and discipline.

Forget the bit about nearly getting the win. The fact that Murphy has stood up as leader is what we want to see and also an effort by the club to make everybody aware of how we expect our leaders to perform and at the same time shield him from any further animosity.
I know that, I've been praising Murphy a lot for his renewed vigor...but the 'nearly getting the win' was a bit naff.

Interesting choices... very interesting.

David Campbell is an interesting choice, I suspect that he will be the person casting his eye over the list of candidates CV's with an eye of weeding out those people who doesnt meet up with the requirements as set down by the club. Ange and Kenny will be coming at it from a coaching perspective and Judd will be there to assess and report on how he feels the playing group will respond to the new coach.

Trigg is just there to negotiate the money side of things with the final couple of candidates.

I know that, I've been praising Murphy a lot for his renewed vigor...but the 'nearly getting the win' was a bit naff.

Yeah, that's Trigg and his political spin just padding it out too much and nearly ruining the whole message as a result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like it. The man obviously knows what it takes to be a coach at the top level

5-6 years ago, the bloke couldnt buy a job and was coaching in the VPL. Resurrected himself, sure, but I dont sèe how hes suddenly some guru on the coaching game. Before 2009, he basically only coached junior national teams and NSL.

Plus, historically, football in Australia has been the opposite of forward thinking and progressive.

I just dont see it. Would have much rathered another Judd like appointment, a recently retired player.

Last edited:
Ange although very tactically savy, his best attribute in his teams is an overwhelming self belief and willingness to push boundaries. He was prepared to make hard choices at Brisbane Roar as a young inexperienced coach he showed the door to Craig Moore and Danny Tiato and did the same with Harry Kewell and Lucas Neil for the socceroos..

Ange will look at these type of attributes from the candidates a nd asses there overall philosophy to coaching. Ange is also a passionate AFL follower so isnt completley blind towards the game.

Are we over-estimating the job the panel has to do. Whilst we say there will be an 'exhaustive' search for the best candidate, the reality is there are only ever really 2-3 genuine candidates so it get's shortlisted pretty quickly - whose available, who actually applies, who has ruled themselves out.

For this shortlist, I would say it will be Sheldon and Judd who will hold the most sway as they should as they are 'football' people. Ange will be there to get a vibe on strength of character, vision, method, preparedness and perhaps to probe with some non-game plan questions to see how they react under pressure eg: off-field, how do you deal with a star player blatantly not following team rules etc., how do you deal with board members interfering etc.

From memory, I think I read that after his sacking at Carlton Ratten virtually had the Port Adelaide job but stuffed up the presentation so badly that he was ruled out - I think one comment was his presentation was 'laughable'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back