Universal Love From the CEO's Desk

Remove this Banner Ad

How about Aish? Brisbane openly threatened Aish with the PSD. We should have been all over that when Collingwood's play was still in doubt, and turned the threat around. I expect the club to sell itself to prospectives at the way Swann and Pratt did. FMD, every other club seems to manage it with our players.

Don't disagree with the Carlisle situation though.

I don't see the PSD as much of a threat when a target's contracted. That's completely different.

I congratulate the carlton football club in finally taking the direction it has now in stocking up on draft picks and not being tempted to pay overs in attracting big names to the club carlton will be a destination club again in time but it will take time and a lot of hard work the gws boys were recruited to add depth as we have lost so much over the last few years for whatever reason .

I would much prefer to be giving players such as Holman Byrne boekhorst Buckley and Docherty a chance in the midfield than chasing over rated players such as aish .

Carlton have now definitely taken the right path how fast or if at all we rise up the ladder much will now depend on many things including nailing our early draft picks player development and creating an environment that our players do not want to leave and at the same time attracting players through a better culture and environment into the club .

And finally again well done Stephen Trigg and Silvagni and the board that have now stripped it all back started again on a journey I hope sees us all with smiles on our faces and pride in our club .
GO BLUES!!!!

Out of interest AD, which top talent changed over to a different club this trade period.

Carlisile? - even Hawthorn failed here.
Treloar? - were any other teams genuinely a chance against Collingwood.
Aish? - not sure he passes the top talent tbh.
Bennell? - pass.

We had a crack at Tomlinson - but GWS held him to his contract.

You're forgetting that other bloke...the pseudo-ranga from Warrnambool or something...whatsisname...Dangermouse...

Out of interest AD, which top talent changed over to a different club this trade period.
Roughly 1/3 of all AFL players come out of contract every year. They're all potential PSD targets for a club that's on the ball. Don't just focus on the ones that were traded, it's the ones who weren't as well.

Roughly 1/3 of all AFL players come out of contract every year. They're all potential PSD targets for a club that's on the ball. Don't just focus on the ones that were traded, it's the ones who weren't as well.
The majority of players will not consider the PSD as a way of getting to their preferred club. In fact, they very rarely have done so. AFL clubs are also smart enough to know that if you want to get trades done, you don't go pissing off your counterparts by trying to force players into the PSD. Furthermore, player managers will not use this option either, because they have to maintain reasonable relationships with AFL clubs to ensure they can get the best possible deals for all their players.

The PSD is virtually irrelevant nowadays hence why you don't see many players drafted in this way.

The majority of players will not consider the PSD as a way of getting to their preferred club. In fact, they very rarely have done so. AFL clubs are also smart enough to know that if you want to get trades done, you don't go pissing off your counterparts by trying to force players into the PSD. Furthermore, player managers will not use this option either, because they have to maintain reasonable relationships with AFL clubs to ensure they can get the best possible deals for all their players.

The PSD is virtually irrelevant nowadays hence why you don't see many players drafted in this way.
Or is it relevant for that very reason?

Or is it relevant for that very reason?
Let's put it this way, when was the last time a high profile player was drafted in the PSD?

The reality is, none of Carlisle, Treloar, Aish were going anywhere near the PSD. Carlisle got offered a massive deal by St Kilda, Treloar only ever wanted Collingwood (his partner getting offered employment in her chosen vocation made the Magpies even more attractive) & the Lions were always going to back down on Aish.

Nowadays players generally get to their chosen clubs, because there is mostly an atmosphere of goodwill between the clubs during the trade period. The PSD is not a bargaining tool, hence why I believe it is mostly irrelevant & may well be done & dusted within the next 12 months - 2 years.

Let's put it this way, when was the last time a high profile player was drafted in the PSD?

The reality is, none of Carlisle, Treloar, Aish were going anywhere near the PSD. Carlisle got offered a massive deal by St Kilda, Treloar only ever wanted Collingwood (his partner getting offered employment in her chosen vocation made the Magpies even more attractive) & the Lions were always going to back down on Aish.

Nowadays players generally get to their chosen clubs, because there is mostly an atmosphere of goodwill between the clubs during the trade period. The PSD is not a bargaining tool, hence why I believe it is mostly irrelevant & may well be done & dusted within the next 12 months - 2 years.
I agree it most likely isn't used as a bargaining tool. But it a pretty big incentive for both clubs to get the deal done.

Treloar situation. GWS and Collingwood have get a deal done or Treloar goes to the PSD. Then GWS lose their player for nothing and Collingwood most likely don't get the player they are after.

Without a PSD. The player can just choose where he wants to go when he is out of contract and then there is no use of having free agency as it stands today.

I agree it most likely isn't used as a bargaining tool. But it a pretty big incentive for both clubs to get the deal done.

Treloar situation. GWS and Collingwood have get a deal done or Treloar goes to the PSD. Then GWS lose their player for nothing and Collingwood most likely don't get the player they are after.

Without a PSD. The player can just choose where he wants to go when he is out of contract and then there is no use of having free agency as it stands today.
I think you are seriously over-estimating the value of the PSD. Nick Stevens is probably the last player who used the PSD in such a way & ended up at Carlton, but that was the result of two clubs being totally stubborn. This wouldn't happen nowadays. The clubs understand the importance of goodwill when it comes to players wanting to move from one club to another. The club you piss off this year, could be the one you have to deal with next year to get a targeted player to your club.

I think you are seriously over-estimating the value of the PSD. Nick Stevens is probably the last player who used the PSD in such a way & ended up at Carlton, but that was the result of two clubs being totally stubborn. This wouldn't happen nowadays. The clubs understand the importance of goodwill when it comes to players wanting to move from one club to another. The club you piss off this year, could be the one you have to deal with next year to get a targeted player to your club.
I think you are under estimating the value of the PSD.

What happens if 2 teams can't come to an agreement to a trade and there is no such thing as a PSD?

The AFL needs to remove the ability of a contracted player nominating a single club as their intended destination.

If a contracted player announces that they want to be traded, then they should nominate a club as their preferred destination, but they also have to know that if a deal cannot be negotiated that suits their original club, the originating club has the right to then shop the player around to a number of different clubs to see if a suitable deal can be made. And those clubs have a right to talk to a contracted player who wants out. This way, the originating club has the chance of getting value for a contracted player through the open market.

An uncontracted player is in a different situation because these days, they can just walk into the draft and usually they will get to where they want to go. So the originating club is at a disadvantage as opposed to the situation with a contracted player. They just can't walk out on the club.

However, the only time a club can contact a contracted player is when they are in the final year of their contract or after the end of a home and away season.

What Yarran did to the club was basically a restriction of trade in a free market. "I only want to go to Richmond, I am not interested in going anywhere else". He basically blocked Carlton from testing the market with other clubs to see if a better offer could be made. I am quite certain that if Chris was living up to his potential, he would actually attract a much better deal than what we actually got for him. Regardless of what the media muppets say.

I wonder if he came out publicly and said this at the start of the trading period things would have been different. o_O I really hope we do everything we can to sort out a trade next year.... he's an awesome player.:thumbsu:
Going to be extremely hard to pry him away from GWS when McCarthys bags are already half packed.

What happens if 2 teams can't come to an agreement to a trade and there is no such thing as a PSD?
The PSD puts pressure on the club the player's leaving. Even Matthews and the Lions had to concede otherwise they would've got nothing for Aish. The really good players don't go through the PSD to get to the club of their choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL needs to remove the ability of a contracted player nominating a single club as their intended destination.
They already have. It's called a contract. If clubs (like GWS just did - twice) stuck to their guns, that manoeuvre wouldn't work.

I thought the gossip was that SOS wasn't keen on Aish.

A CEO may have a role in attracting players but if the list manager doesn't rate the player or getting the player upsets the trading/drafting strategy of list management how do get him.

The Pies have been doing what we are doing now since 2012-13 and are likely to be in a better position to grab Treloar and Aish types as they become available.

We might have to wait until 2017 or beyond .

Tigers are worse. They should have players banging down the door to play with them and they can't get anyone except b graders.

The PSD puts pressure on the club the player's leaving. Even Matthews and the Lions had to concede otherwise they would've got nothing for Aish. The really good players don't go through the PSD to get to the club of their choice.
I think you are agreeing with me?

The PSD does put pressure on the losing team. But it also gives it balance. Without the PSD all players become unrestricted free agents after their 2 year initial contract.

Thinking about it. I was young when it happened so I could be wrong. But does the Treloar move have an uncanny resemblance of how Buckley got to Collingwood. Even the hairs cuts are the same.

We will attract top end talent when we get our player payments under control.
When our core group of players are being paid what they are worth
When players such as Yarran & Henderson aren't taking up a million $ worth of salary cap space
When your elite salaried players are actually elite players on the field.
Hopefully all these things are being managed better by the current administration than they have been in the past 15 years or so.
Time will tell.

Would have been interesting had the Carlisle footage surfaced (or been seen) before STK had signed the deal....
I blame Trigg for being sloppy with his media management, 24hrs too late.

This is the key.
Ultimately, an uncontracted player will get to their team of choice, because clubs aren't going to keep a disenchanted player on their list. Furthermore, once their contract lapses (I believe this occurs at the end of October) & no new agreement is reached with their current club, they will end up as DFAs.

It is such a different dynamic nowadays with free agency & better co-operation between clubs therefore players/their managers don't need to look to the PSD to get to the club of choice.

So
This is the key.

Ultimately, an uncontracted player will get to their team of choice, because clubs aren't going to keep a disenchanted player on their list. Furthermore, once their contract lapses (I believe this occurs at the end of October) & no new agreement is reached with their current club, they will end up as DFAs.

It is such a different dynamic nowadays with free agency & better co-operation between clubs therefore players/their managers don't need to look to the PSD to get to the club of choice.
So you are everyone can essentially become a unrestricted free agent at the end of their 2 year initial contract?

The threat off PSD is for both the losing and gaining teams. Without PSD we would essential be the NRL with a draft. This isn't the case.

The PSD plays a big role in trade negotiations with players that come out of contract. Sure in the recent history no one has moved via this way because it isn't in the interest of both clubs.

It’s been an incredibly busy period at Carlton since the end of the 2015 season so I thought I’d provide a quick update. There’s been more change and there are a number of real positives emerging – and without doubt there are some sure signs of growth.

The Changes?

We’re rapt with the coaching team that we’ve appointed to support Brendon. All of our assistants have experience in coaching their own team(s), and all of them bring a track record of developing players. It’s just three weeks into pre-season, but all of that is on show already and they’ve also brought a real energy to the program.

We’re also rapt with the appointment of Anthony Klarica who assumes responsibilities within the ‘leadership, culture and performance’ area. Anthony comes to us from Hawthorn. He’s a qualified and experienced psyche, and he’s run successful systems at an elite level – so reuniting him with Brendon is a real positive, as we work on developing our own leadership and development programs.

There have obviously been significant changes to our playing list too – 15 in total. We were deliberately very aggressive in the trade period, in particular aiming to get those four draft selections inside 20. We are delighted to have been able to secure four talls (key position types), including of course our father-son selection, Jack Silvagni.

Our detailed plan(s) to grow the list included trading for early picks, and then using them on the back of as much research and planning as we could muster. Time will tell, but our ability to build a regularly successful team around a strong ‘spine’ may just have taken shape!

What else has changed? A lot in the membership area . We’ve focused strongly on improving the process(es) of renewal and ease of renewal for our members, and in improving the whole experience. So far, the feedback has been very positive – but it is an area that we will most definitely keep working on. In the meantime, please know that your Carlton membership is vital – and greatly appreciated. The fact that we recently passed through 25,000 members in record time is really encouraging, as is the amazing likelihood of reaching 30,000 by Christmas.

The positives?

While the 2016 fixture looms as being tough financially, it’s genuinely a bonus in terms of more Sunday games and the appeal to families and young Bluebaggers. We intend to run ‘after-matches’ on all of those Sunday games, and to have our players actively involved in a series of ‘Blues Parties’ as we aim to make a trip to the football even more of a family occasion.

It’s also a positive that two of our fixture requests were met! One was the desire to play a signature game in Multicultural Round at the MCG amongst the Multicultural Festival. As ‘Multicultural Carlton’, we’re very keen to make this a big event against the Crows later in the season.

We’re also really pleased that we have a NAB Challenge game at our home base at Ikon Park on 28 February 2016 against Essendon. We will use that game as a celebration of all the great times at Princes Park (with more details in the new year), so it’d be great to have a big crowd in for that match.

The ‘Growth’?

I say this confidently – that despite a tough 2015 there is growth everywhere. This includes:

• Our efforts to support the AFL in developing women’s football. We’re running six training sessions over the summer for nearly 100 young women, using our facilities and our own coaches’ expertise.

Diverse Carlton has always been the real Carlton, and our efforts and initiative in developing the women’s game (and hopefully, in time, field our own team) – is important as we now build on our gender diversity right across the Club.
  • As you know our bottom line in 2015 was a sizeable disappointment, largely due to a downturn in our venues and crowds. But we have worked very hard to reset our expense and revenue targets, and are realistically targeting a significant turnaround in 2016

(All of which is helped of course, by strong membership and attendances!)
  • Our corporate support has been strong and is now growing again with the renewal of Acquire Learning, the recent appointment of CareerOne as our new co-major partner alongside the wonderful Hyundai, and the increased support from ZTE (telecommunications). In turn, if you have the opportunity to support these great companies, who are supporting Carlton, please do.

• It’s only early in the pre-season, but you can definitely see (and measure) the growth in our young list already. They’re working very hard, they’re striving to lift their standards and they’ll be given every opportunity to develop quickly.

It’s exciting to see that development and the energy that’s presently around the Club. And I expect that’s how we’ll present in 2016 – as a young group that brings enormous energy, enthusiasm and passion, as well as a group that’s thoroughly united.
For those who can make it, don’t forget the Member Information Session at Ikon Park (6:30pm on Tuesday 22 December), which will be preceded by the AGM at 6pm.

In the meantime, our sincere thanks for supporting us and being Bound By Blue. On behalf of everyone at the Club, we extend our best wishes for a very safe and happy festive season to you and your family.

Regards,

Steven Trigg

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s been an incredibly busy period at Carlton since the end of the 2015 season so I thought I’d provide a quick update. There’s been more change and there are a number of real positives emerging – and without doubt there are some sure signs of growth.

The Changes?

We’re rapt with the coaching team that we’ve appointed to support Brendon. All of our assistants have experience in coaching their own team(s), and all of them bring a track record of developing players. It’s just three weeks into pre-season, but all of that is on show already and they’ve also brought a real energy to the program.

We’re also rapt with the appointment of Anthony Klarica who assumes responsibilities within the ‘leadership, culture and performance’ area. Anthony comes to us from Hawthorn. He’s a qualified and experienced psyche, and he’s run successful systems at an elite level – so reuniting him with Brendon is a real positive, as we work on developing our own leadership and development programs.

There have obviously been significant changes to our playing list too – 15 in total. We were deliberately very aggressive in the trade period, in particular aiming to get those four draft selections inside 20. We are delighted to have been able to secure four talls (key position types), including of course our father-son selection, Jack Silvagni.

Our detailed plan(s) to grow the list included trading for early picks, and then using them on the back of as much research and planning as we could muster. Time will tell, but our ability to build a regularly successful team around a strong ‘spine’ may just have taken shape!

What else has changed? A lot in the membership area . We’ve focused strongly on improving the process(es) of renewal and ease of renewal for our members, and in improving the whole experience. So far, the feedback has been very positive – but it is an area that we will most definitely keep working on. In the meantime, please know that your Carlton membership is vital – and greatly appreciated. The fact that we recently passed through 25,000 members in record time is really encouraging, as is the amazing likelihood of reaching 30,000 by Christmas.

The positives?

While the 2016 fixture looms as being tough financially, it’s genuinely a bonus in terms of more Sunday games and the appeal to families and young Bluebaggers. We intend to run ‘after-matches’ on all of those Sunday games, and to have our players actively involved in a series of ‘Blues Parties’ as we aim to make a trip to the football even more of a family occasion.

It’s also a positive that two of our fixture requests were met! One was the desire to play a signature game in Multicultural Round at the MCG amongst the Multicultural Festival. As ‘Multicultural Carlton’, we’re very keen to make this a big event against the Crows later in the season.

We’re also really pleased that we have a NAB Challenge game at our home base at Ikon Park on 28 February 2016 against Essendon. We will use that game as a celebration of all the great times at Princes Park (with more details in the new year), so it’d be great to have a big crowd in for that match.

The ‘Growth’?

I say this confidently – that despite a tough 2015 there is growth everywhere. This includes:

• Our efforts to support the AFL in developing women’s football. We’re running six training sessions over the summer for nearly 100 young women, using our facilities and our own coaches’ expertise.

Diverse Carlton has always been the real Carlton, and our efforts and initiative in developing the women’s game (and hopefully, in time, field our own team) – is important as we now build on our gender diversity right across the Club.
  • As you know our bottom line in 2015 was a sizeable disappointment, largely due to a downturn in our venues and crowds. But we have worked very hard to reset our expense and revenue targets, and are realistically targeting a significant turnaround in 2016

(All of which is helped of course, by strong membership and attendances!)
  • Our corporate support has been strong and is now growing again with the renewal of Acquire Learning, the recent appointment of CareerOne as our new co-major partner alongside the wonderful Hyundai, and the increased support from ZTE (telecommunications). In turn, if you have the opportunity to support these great companies, who are supporting Carlton, please do.

• It’s only early in the pre-season, but you can definitely see (and measure) the growth in our young list already. They’re working very hard, they’re striving to lift their standards and they’ll be given every opportunity to develop quickly.

It’s exciting to see that development and the energy that’s presently around the Club. And I expect that’s how we’ll present in 2016 – as a young group that brings enormous energy, enthusiasm and passion, as well as a group that’s thoroughly united.
For those who can make it, don’t forget the Member Information Session at Ikon Park (6:30pm on Tuesday 22 December), which will be preceded by the AGM at 6pm.

In the meantime, our sincere thanks for supporting us and being Bound By Blue. On behalf of everyone at the Club, we extend our best wishes for a very safe and happy festive season to you and your family.

Regards,

Steven Trigg

We've done our bit to support CareerOne through our delistings over the last few years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back