Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

He was pretty good in 2021 from memory
I went through it pretty comprehensively in another thread (or maybe it was this one, I can't remember).

I looked at all the games where either Stefan Martin or Jordon Sweet played (and pretty much used that as my metric as him playing the forward/ruck role) and it's very similar to Lobbs overall career average.

Is this a wind-up? It’s his list and he’s absolutely butchering it.

The biggest knock on Bevo is his inability to get clear structures both at the back and up forward. We’ve endured 7 years of three Bulldogs leaping at the same footy while nobody has the foresight to crumb. It’s not one or two players who are the culprits, it’s been dozens of them over the last few years.

You look at the easy goals other teams get. Co-ordinated leading patterns to generate space for an each other.

Down back, look at the Dees and Geelong how they block for each other, protect the drop of the ball and allow one person to go for the mark.

I don’t expect us to be the very best at every aspect of the game, but I do expect something a little more thought out than the all-out chaos we’ve employed for years on end.

‘He’s handling it well enough’

My bloody arse!
I disagree with this premise therefore I didn't read the rest of it.

Their form line is about three weeks long.

Sorry but you cannot compare our disappointing 2022-2024 to West Coast’s. We made the eight and finished ninth in that time.

The idea that somehow Simpson is still a worthwhile candidate and Bevo is not based on that period makes absolutely no sense.
I never said Simpson was a worthwhile candidate. I said that current formline has West Coast ahead of us. Without a doubt.
As far as Simpson goes, he has had a huge burden with long-term contracts and poor list management since 2018. No doubt he has had input. But at least West Coast you can see green shoots, whether or not Simpson will see the growth later I doubt. But he has done better with less in my opinion than Bevo has done with more.

We played Zaine Cordy as an out-of-position second ruck for half of 2022. It made plenty of sense to go after Lobb.

Not when you have a number pick 2 draft pick waiting in the wings though. It's really the perfect time to look for a cheap option to play a role in that situation.

Our wings, backs, small forwards all required attention too and we decided to cover those areas with cheap options instead which was a big mistake.

AFL 360 pretty much believe Bevo will be gone if we lose to Richmond on the weekend. In my opinion he should be gone today but it's now going to be a pile on till he goes.
Best thing he can do is go into club and resign this week.

Not when you have a number pick 2 draft pick waiting in the wings though. It's really the perfect time to look for a cheap option to play a role in that situation.

Our wings, backs, small forwards all required attention too and we decided to cover those areas with cheap options instead which was a big mistake.

Got shot down big time when I mentioned someone like Mason Cox would have been used to fill this role.

Lobb for his pay packet was never the right option.

We played Zaine Cordy as an out-of-position second ruck for half of 2022. It made plenty of sense to go after Lobb.
Lobb is less of a problem for me than Poulter, Baker, Bramble etc.

He was a regular senior player and Freo’s leading goal kicker. He just hasn’t fit with us and Darcy is frankly better.

Much easier to make a case for him than some others.

AFL 360 pretty much believe Bevo will be gone if we lose to Richmond on the weekend. In my opinion he should be gone today but it's now going to be a pile on till he goes.
Best thing he can do is go into club and resign this week.
When you say AFL 360, is it the consensus or a slobbering rant.

No idea but then I'm not paid to know.
However, had we not traded and we used 13 for Croft we would not have a top 6 mid this year at all so to be in a better position there would have to be a better player with all the attributes you want in this year's draft.

If not doing no draft swap last year would not have improved our situation one iota

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got shot down big time when I mentioned someone like Mason Cox would have been used to fill this role.

Lobb for his pay packet was never the right option.
it was us bowing to English wanting to be No 1 ruck and not a forward ruck, so Lobb was almost the only forward/ 2nd ruck available. we overpaid, and then English regresses. Man, weve sold the farm so many times for English, played him when he sucked for so many years, then got 1 good year out of him, he has almost single handedly brought down the Bevo era.

I don't see how our best can be "very, very, good. " We have beaten about one team above us on the ladder in the last 2 years. To me convincing wins are when you beat someone who is contending. Not BOG average sides that are about as good as us or worse. Not a convincing statement from the Pres.

Yeah I don’t recall us being very very good in the last 3 seasons

However, had we not traded and we used 13 for Croft we would not have a top 6 mid this year at all so to be in a better position there would have to be a better player with all the attributes you want in this year's draft.

If not doing no draft swap last year would not have improved our situation one iota

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
If Croft had been bid on at 13 and we decided to match it. Would we not also have kept whatever the pick after was? 23 or 17 or whatever it was?

In principle, not opposed to trading up if the attributes required are fulfilled. Midfield skill and speed (Butters) is what was required. Now we still don't have it and there's no chance we can get it in this year's draft with things as they stand. There was a chance if we didn't do what we did last year.

For Sanders to be the correct decision in my view, we'll have to sell pieces of the farm to get those qualities this year. That's some magic the LM team will have to work.

It was a measured response from the oaf. But even Whateley who is generally very measured had serious doubts on his future.
I think we all have doubts on his future beyond this season. Next week seems a little premature but it's unsurprising that the oaf would table it.

it was us bowing to English wanting to be No 1 ruck and not a forward ruck, so Lobb was almost the only forward/ 2nd ruck available. we overpaid, and then English regresses. Man, weve sold the farm so many times for English, played him when he sucked for so many years, then got 1 good year out of him, he has almost single handedly brought down the Bevo era.
Was he not the All Australian ruck last year?

I’m a big proponent of investing a lot more $$ to lift the overall standard of umpiring. Can only expect so much when they’re only semi-professional and still working full time

But yeah I don’t buy for a second that we, or any team, are unfairly advantaged or disadvantaged by it
The money is definitely good enough to not be working elsewhere, and the potential career length is much longer than that of a player. They’re often working elsewhere to balance out the pressure and regular abuse they cop.

I don't see how our best can be "very, very, good. " We have beaten about one team above us on the ladder in the last 2 years. To me convincing wins are when you beat someone who is contending. Not BOG average sides that are about as good as us or worse. Not a convincing statement from the Pres.
I get your point but we beat 3/4 preliminary finalists last year.

The problem wasn’t our upside. It was totally crapping the bed against bottom four sides.

You disagree with a coach in his 10th year having no responsibility for building the list he's coaching, when only 5-6 of the players pre-date him, and 2 of them are our best players?
I disagree with the premise that it's his list to the exclusion of all others. Which is essentially the claim that "it's his list". I've always disagreed with that premise regardless of coach or club.

Personally I’m feeling pretty uncomfortable with the way Luke is being treated by the media and some of our own supporters. The guy loves the club and his players. Does he have some shortcomings? Of course he does. Has he reached the end of the road with us? Potentially, yes. Does he deserve to be shown some respect? Very big yes in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

i did say 1 good year
You also said he has regressed since we got Lobb? When did he regress?

He was All Australian last year, had no pre-season this year and statistically he's fairly similar.

.75 goals a game (was 0.66 last year)
17.87 disposals (was 19.13 last year)
26 hit outs per game (was 31 last year)
6.35 marks per game (was 6.3 last year)
3.2 clearances per game (was 3 last year)
4.12 tackles per game (was 4.34 last year)

So sure, he's averaging 5 fewer hit outs per game, but he's also attending on average 12 fewer ruck contests per game and in the contests he's in, his hit out to advantage percentage has gone up from 34 to 37%.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back