Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is bad! I thought Egan would be smarter than this.

Bevo is exceptional at developing and managing relationships (I recall Grant saying after Bevo's appointment that his emotional intelligence score was off the scale). This key strength of Bevo was instrumental in 2016 & 2021.

But now it is not enough. He should have the best assistants around him to complement this strength and cover his weaknesses.

His relationship skills have also been a liability for the club. It has allowed him to long to avoid the necessary questioning and accountability from both Club leaders and the other coaches.

Really, with the exception of 21 this has been diabolically managed since 2017.

This is bad! I thought Egan would be smarter than this.

Bevo is exceptional at developing and managing relationships (I recall Grant saying after Bevo's appointment that his emotional intelligence score was off the scale). This key strength of Bevo was instrumental in 2016 & 2021.

But now it is not enough. He should have the best assistants around him to complement this strength and cover his weaknesses.

His relationship skills have also been a liability for the club. It has allowed him to long to avoid the necessary questioning and accountability from both Club leaders and the other coaches.

Really, with the exception of 21 this has been diabolically managed since 2017.
Exactly, what I want to hear about is what is doing at the the 1/4 time, half time and 3/4 time breaks to manage the game when it isn't going our way and being proactive to ensure we stay on top when we are, because that has been completely missing for the majority of his tenure.

I think players want to come if you’re exciting. 2016 came unexpectedly and we didn’t really exploit our opportunity to recruit players from other clubs. We were bland the next two years.

We’ve had some success in attracting some very handy players after though (Duryea, Suckling, Keath, Bruce, Treloar). I just don’t think we always had the right ones in mind and they tend not to be out and out stars. We did seduce Aker and Barry Hall when we were young and appealing.

Other clubs have advantages they exploit (Sydney and Geelong sell lifestyle well and have a home ground advantages). It’s hard to find ours, but I think if we’d targeted mature talent better in the last seven or eight years we would have had a sustained crack.
We haven't been abysmal on the recruitment front. Picked up a few solid players. We don’t get the First rounders with 2 years development like a Geelong with Ollie Henry and only pay a 2nd to get them. Tigers got Lynch for nothing so got him and a 1st round pick in.
It's these things that extend their stay at the top and a reason why we struggle with bridging the gap

Boom, exactly.

Roughly 3 years ago, Bailey Williams was having stern words to Bevo whilst on the bench, of which Bevo was receiving, of course. It was when things weren't going our way. I assume Bevo was empowering Williams/being professional.

Bailey Williams has been a fraudulent AFL player over this time, a big part of our next core, but largely dissapointing/inconsistent/mentally weak, after that grand final. While somehow avoiding an axe that came for Macrae and Daniel.

He has good relationships with the players because he plays them every week and gives them hugs instead of telling them they’re duds.

Who wouldn’t want a boss like that ?

Also while nice sentiment I don’t really care about Bevos ability to connect with players families.

I want wins.
I think Bevo just sees maintaining a good relationship with a player and his family as one small element in getting a player to perform at their optimum and contribute to winning more games of football.

Egan has drunk the kumbya koolaid as well.

FMD, we're screwed.

I couldn't give a toss what the relationships are like between the coach and players, the only metric that matters are wins. That's it. That's all that counts.

You don't win, you fail. You underperform consistently, you fail. We have consistently underperformed since 2017. The end.

Personally I want a club that demands results. Hawthorn did in the 80s and surprise, surprise. Do we think they sat around holding hands, patting each other on the back, telling each other about their best qualities? No, they demanded wins and they got results.

The fear of failure drove players to perform because if they didn't they were out. We seem comfortable to just drift along and it shows on field.

Last edited:

It’s funny and frankly quite sad, how often Bevo’s connection with the players is mentioned off cuff.

We play some of the most disjointed and unstructured footy you’d ever watch. If you were watching the games, you would actively think the players are trying to get him sacked with some of the effort and pressure levels .

Where does this deep connection manifest? Because it certainly isn’t on the field.

How many of us think this sort of thing happened in the rooms after Sunday?

About as likely as Bigfoot wandering down Flinders Street in broad daylight.

And that's the problem.

Soft. Sometimes you need a rocket and by heck, we need a huge one right now. On and off field (including the board and executive).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. It's not Bevo who shopped at the $2 shop for assistant coaches since 2021. Fundamentally we have been screwed by an inept CEO who lacks vision and foresight and shirks away from making tough decisions.

He needs to go before the coach at this point. He has set us up to fail, like he did his previous club.

Were we in a stage of evolution when we fielded the fittest most prepared team for years in round 1 where Melbourne laughed us off in the same fashion as the previous year

Why are we now evolving when evolution would typically occur as the competition rolls on. When did this evolution process begin exactly and fitness/preparation end

They think we're stupid. I am. But many here aren't

Boom, exactly.

Roughly 3 years ago, Bailey Williams was having stern words to Bevo whilst on the bench, of which Bevo was receiving, of course. It was when things weren't going our way. I assume Bevo was empowering Williams/being professional.

Bailey Williams has been a fraudulent AFL player over this time, a big part of our next core, but largely dissapointing/inconsistent/mentally weak, after that grand final. While somehow avoiding an axe that came for Macrae and Daniel.
Absolutely. Macrae and Daniel helped win us a flag. Williams started the rot in the 2021 Grand Final and it's continued.

This is from Egan in the Age

“He has definitely got the energy up for sure. I have never seen a coach connect as well as I have with ‘Bevo’ with his players. His ability to story-tell and create a narrative week to week with the players is amazing. His attention to detail with how he connects one on one.”

For me it is really concerning that he has nothing to say about his ability as a coach. I'm sure as a fresh face his stories and narratives are great, but hearing that stuff every week for 5-8 years is clearly wearing thin.

As fans we call all see after 10 minutes whether the players have bought into his narrative that week or not. If not, boy is the rest of the game a tough watch.

Why no comments from Egan about his game plan and tactics?

This is from Egan in the Age

“He has definitely got the energy up for sure. I have never seen a coach connect as well as I have with ‘Bevo’ with his players. His ability to story-tell and create a narrative week to week with the players is amazing. His attention to detail with how he connects one on one.”

For me it is really concerning that he has nothing to say about his ability as a coach. I'm sure as a fresh face his stories and narratives are great, but hearing that stuff every week for 5-8 years is clearly wearing thin.

As fans we call all see after 10 minutes whether the players have bought into his narrative that week or not. If not, boy is the rest of the game a tough watch.

Why no comments from Egan about his game plan and tactics?
One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere, like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Give me five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now, where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..

- Bevo Simpson

If Bevo thinks he has got a thick skin and can take what is coming his way this week he will need the hide of a bull next week if we lose to the tigers. The heat will be at inferno levels and I think we will see a special meeting at board level to discuss his future.

Last edited:
If Bevo thinks he has got thick skin and can take what is coming his way this week he will need the hide of a bull next week if we lose to the tigers. The heat will be at inferno levels and I think we will see a special meeting at board level to discuss his future.
Doubtful until at least the bye

If Bevo thinks he has got thick skin and can take what is coming his way this week he will need the hide of a bull next week if we lose to the tigers. The heat will be at inferno levels and I think we will see a special meeting at board level to discuss his future.
Bevo will be the new Adam Simpson.
He'll be the man to see us through the rebuild.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back