Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Very much in the Bevo out camp for clarity before I post this, but I was thinking:

1. Let’s just assume that Bevo hasn’t actually lost the playing group
2. Bevo isn’t the best match day coach

McRae, Goodwin, Fagan etc all sit down on the interchange bench. Would we entertain the idea of Bevo remaining coach (albeit in a role with a lot less power) and have new assistance brought in to essentially ‘coach’ on game day. Bevo has always been a motivator type, would he be at his best sitting on the bench with the players. The assistants can make the calls, let Bevo be with the players and motivate.

I’m just thinking this may be attractive for luring good assistants to the club, where I feel this is unlikely given Bevo’s power at the club.

Food for thought, but would love to know thoughts on this.

We’ve gone backwards in basically every key statistic, we have the same issues as we did 5 years ago not to mention the worst issues we had last year have followed us through to this year and likely gotten even worse rather than improving. We topped up with 30 year olds year after year and made it clear we had premiership ambitions, yet we’ve fallen incredibly short of those - now we’re questioning the list…

To add to the list of issues we were facing last year (ie run of goals, scoring efficiency, defensive efficiency, beating top 8 sides etc etc) we’ve now added new issues to the list (ie lack of ability to transition the footy from our defence, holding a lead, winning close games, beating the bottom teams we should be beating - THESE WERE NEVER AN ISSUE PREVIOUSLY)

We’re going backwards at an alarming rate, AA quality players are dropping off for no good reason. And people still want to give Bev another go?

No you don’t get another ******* chance, * me dead how many chances do you get? We. Are. Going. Backwards. We cannot afford another year.

Oh surround him with good people to make up for his weaknesses, good idea - here’s a better one though, why don’t we * him off and bring in someone who doesn’t have those weaknesses that we have to mould our whole club around ffs

Change the assistants! The whole assistant panel is already new, what’s next? How many compromises need to be made before we just admit the campaigner is past it and needs to move on

Thought occurred to me too, listening to Johnno. Was speaking about Bev having to change his approaches to on field strategy, off field divisions of work, everything basically. A lot of work to essentially turn Bev into a different coach.

Vividly. Still up there as one of the worst decisions/plays I've ever seen. He could have done literally anything else - kick it backwards, bomb it to the forward pocket, get it intercepted by the defender, kick it OOF - some of which would have been pretty bad, but nothing quite like turning it over crossfield and exposing the defense to a transition goal when they weren't expecting it to come back from there.

It was all-time terrible.
I think by that point poor Billy’s confidence was shot. Was probably just caught in his head knowing it was his last crack and made a perfectly awful decision.

Was extremely handy in 2018 and early 2019 (remember the Jackie Chan in the square). Was never too skilled but was a good mark and had some real power. Not super smart on field though.

Seems to think highly of the club and was classy on his exit.

Thought occurred to me too, listening to Johnno. Was speaking about Bev having to change his approaches to on field strategy, off field divisions of work, everything basically. A lot of work to essentially turn Bev into a different coach.
At which point …. Why not just go out and get a new coach who is an excellent tactical coach?

Just putting this out there, but maybe its Mental health and thats why the media aren't touching it. Would not surprise me.
I saw purple early in the week making a statement in the show he does with Nat Edwards like “I’m not really going to comment on this” re pressure on Bevo. He’s obviously clued that his history makes any commentary a laughable bias, but any mental health issues of industry awareness would make sense too. Mind you they nailed poor old Dew to a cross good and hard. Ruthless these bloody journos but the first ones to arc up when they cop it back. Such bullshit.

With no guarantee he will be a different coach

Just putting this out there, but maybe its Mental health and thats why the media aren't touching it. Would not surprise me.
Caro not so subtly hinted at this early last year after the Morris explosion, ie concerns over his state of mind.

He lives in a near constant state of tension. Whether it’s approaching a diagnosable issue or not who knows but he probably does do it tough at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They wouldn’t care if their was a story they will run it
They might care if they think they’ll get called out or publicly shamed though.

It’s still self-interest, just a different sort.

Leon Cameron being spoken to about a role at the club (not head coach).

Leon Cameron being spoken to about a role at the club (not head coach).
And this is exactly what I didn’t want. Despite the credentials, he has a longgggg history with Bevo, Grant, Darcy etc.

It hasn’t happened yet but it feels like the club works in such a small circle and is only able to attract people based on pre-existing relationships.

For a very short period….’Gower’s was God’!

Remember that game in 2020 when he had the ball marked on his chest about 70 out, 30 seconds to go, up by 3 against GCS and he decided to switch play and completely balls it up? Pretty sure he never played again for the club.

Pretty sure Bevo was playing him in the center square that game.

Fronk left due to harassment.

People rubbishing the information he provided IF he didn’t get everything 100%. His information has been better than any other poster I know.

Even the Patton thing…. People can change their minds. Nothings guaranteed until it happens.
It really doesn’t help with the quantity of posters masquerading as “ITK” while people get shouted down for daring to apply skepticism. Means some can end up a little over-the-top with their responses to people who share even legitimate information

It really doesn’t help with the quantity of posters masquerading as “ITK” while people get shouted down for daring to apply skepticism. Means some can end up a little over-the-top with their responses to people who share even legitimate information
Why the threads should be separated, one for the rumours one for the comments so that those willing to post rumours feel comfortable

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I mean that in the sense that all AFL head coaches do.

And given the heat he’s copped they last 18 months it’s probably above average for him.

He's about to get a real shock next year if he continues. He will cop it every single loss, will be a huge distraction.

And this is exactly what I didn’t want. Despite the credentials, he has a longgggg history with Bevo, Grant, Darcy etc.

It hasn’t happened yet but it feels like the club works in such a small circle and is only able to attract people based on pre-existing relationships.
Don't care whether they have pre existing relationships or not, as long as they are good at what they do. He played for a couple of years with Bev, they went their separate ways for 15 years and then coached together at Hawthorn for a couple of years. Wouldn't exactly call that a long history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back