Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t see him moving too far considering his daughter plays AFLW for dogs?

I heard Granty has always wanted to live on the Bellarine peninsula, feels an affinity with the west coast. Unfortunately he's only just out of Cats' player age demographic!

Having a tan after pre season looks great - but I want the list to run their guts out and get ultra fit in the pre season. And I want Naughts,poulter and Smith ( if still there) to shave their heads and focus on getting the pill, not preening and worrying about hairspray.

Business at the front back and sides is what I want..
On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
IMG_0131.jpeg

You say it in jest but I lost count of how many times this season Naughton was adjusting his hair while the ball was in the air approaching him.
I do say it in jest... but wouldn't it be great if they showed how serious they were and got down to business. Stuffing around with headbands and getting your hair pulled and brushing it out of your eyes constantly is an unnecessary distraction.That's why the defence forces mandate the short haircut.Let's have some military type discipline, it might help.

Or maybe I am just bald and jealous.

Get Gia home. Start prepping him to be the next senior coach.
Add Dew to the ranks.
Then add someone fresh out of the game in there (Selwood, Smith, Riewoldt).
I’d be stoked with that team around Luke.
Why? What results have been clear in his assistants role to show this is warranted, particularly at Essendon?

Add Dew to the ranks.

No ex Dogs players for me, at this time, thanks.

No ex Dogs players for me, at this time, thanks.
Ex Dogs isn't what concerns me necessarily, just have they been involved in a consistently successful program away from the dogs. I cannot think of any who have at this stage

You say it in jest but I lost count of how many times this season Naughton was adjusting his hair while the ball was in the air approaching him.

Needs to go the Gary Cowton perm then his hair wouldn’t move at all.

Ex Dogs isn't what concerns me necessarily, just have they been involved in a consistently successful program away from the dogs. I cannot think of any who have at this stage

I’m ok with ex Dogs coming back later. Just for this time I want all fresh voices and IP from successful clubs to sweep through the place.

Thoughts:

As I’ve said in a previous comment, cynically I believe this course of action is to a) save money and b) arse covering. Bains and KWW would be ropable with 1.7 mill of dead money, more with soft cap taxes. Bevo would not be the only one losing his job in that event. There’s a lot of personal motivation for those like Grant and Darcy to back him. The extension would be shown to be as dumb as it was and heads would roll.

This way we can get (for example) Dew and that covers a couple of bases. Bevo receives tactical assistance, but if/when we can sack him with only a 6 month payout, we have probably a couple of solid interim coach options.

The time to get Bevo serious tactical help was years ago. Even in 2021 we were primarily carried by having a generationally stacked midfield, and when cracks started to show there we fumbled top 4.

I’m not sold on Bevo the boundary line motivator either. The players have completely lost their shit over the last 2 years. Bevo is visibly falling apart, naturally the players feed off that. But he has in the past demonstrated the ability to capture lightning in a bottle unlike any other.

I think we have truly embraced the small market boys club reputation. Darcy and Grant are too close to Bevo. The lack of an external review shows how afraid key decision makers are of losing their jobs - all these internal reviews are like police investigating themselves and remarkably finding themselves innocent.

If Bont has asked for Bevo to be safe, that complicates things. Should the players be wagging the dog? No. Is Bont basically our LeBron, and a free agent in 2 years to boot? Yep. But it’s a dicey situation - does Bont get pissed off if we fire Bevo? Apparently. Does he get more upset with another 2 years of failure…? We are beholden to what he wants first and foremost, though, that’s the reality of it when you’re talking the greatest player your club has seen.

It’s all disappointing, but if we can hire coaches with actual tactical nous, and essentially make Bev a very expensive cheerleader for 1-2 years, maybe things get better. But the way these last 2 years have been handled is a joke and a lot of us will be disillusioned.

No matter who our forwards coach is, our forward line plays exactly the same way.

No matter who our midfield coach is, the midfield plays exactly the same way.

To me this says the assistant coaches have very little control
Funny how the forward line played very differently and functioned extremely well in 2021 before Spangher took over. No coincidence we regressed with a new forward assistant by any chance? Or still all Bevo?

Not a big Bevo fan btw. But to say we have never been different is wrong, or that Bevo 100 percent pulls the stings. We have regressed in all areas when we changed from experienced to less experienced assistant coaches. Our style has also been different under each assistant we have had under Bevo, that section of the field has always played differently depending who was in charge of that area at the time. That shows me assistants do have some influence on the team, and how we play, not zero control. Corey and King made the changes at half time that stopped Sydney repeating their late second quarter surge of the Grand Final, that won the midfield battle in the second half for us, not Bevo.

This is why, if the players want Bevo to stick around, then I want the club to get its s** together and actually invest in proper and experienced coaches, who have a good reputation in their line. No more apprenticeships.

Last edited:
I thought the structure was going to be different for Bevo, his role is to sit on the bench and motivate players, but the match day strategy will be left to others. Ala Hinkley. Going after two ex coaches supports this.

Not bad, 1.5mil a year to pat blokes on the arse as they run by

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From memory he was considered one of the best forward coaches in the league. Would happily take him on.
As much as Dimma will get all the praise for getting Suns into the finals

Dew did a hell of a lot of work to get them there, their list is 90% done imo

Not bad, 1.5mil a year to pat blokes on the arse as they run by
Not sure this is the role at all. As head coach as well as the motivation and other roles with the players he would obviously be there to coach the coaches which is very common both in the AFL as well as many overseas sports.

This would include input to game style and strategies in both preparation and on game day and is how a coaching group should work

The thought of Bevo moping around the boundary line looking bewildered does not inspire confidence, would rather just hide him in the rooms far away from the players to be honest. He can be the consoler when they lose that’s about all he’s good for

Edit: and we can wheel him out for press conferences when we need a good laugh

The thought of Bevo moping around the boundary line looking bewildered does not inspire confidence, would rather just hide him in the rooms far away from the players to be honest. He can be the consoler when they lose that’s about all he’s good for

Edit: and we can wheel him out for press conferences when we need a good laugh
You would think he'd be flashing his new chompers every chance he got.

Not sure this is the role at all. As head coach as well as the motivation and other roles with the players he would obviously be there to coach the coaches which is very common both in the AFL as well as many overseas sports.

This would include input to game style and strategies in both preparation and on game day and is how a coaching group should work
But if you are correct then we aren’t fixing what I think is the issue - tactics under Luke have been horrendous. I either want him sidelined or out. If he’s sidelines he’s patting bottoms, if he’s coaching the coaches it’s going to be a long 2024. Basically if he stays I think there is trouble ahead.

We’ve got to go for Nigel Lappin. He lives down the road in Geelong. He has probably been at the cats long enough now? Very very good people skills. He is the person Bevo philosophises over and would love to be. He lived it as a player and is doing it as an assistant coach who I don’t think wants to be a head coach. Sometimes too much ambition clouds a man’s judgment. Would be negligent not to inquire.
Would love this appointment.

Has been a key part of very successful environment.

Leon Cameron & Stewart Dew wouldn't excite me at all.

Add Dew to the ranks.
What qualities does Gia have that would make him a successful head coach ?

Has he demonstrated those qualities at Essendon ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back