Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

What qualities does Gia have that would make him a successful head coach ?

Has he demonstrated those qualities at Essendon ?

I know he was highly rated internally when he was an assistant with us but looking at Essendons midfield stats the last two years, they are actually very poor.
In saying that though, he doesn’t have much to work with there.
Maybe I’ll take it back, for now.

But if you are correct then we aren’t fixing what I think is the issue - tactics under Luke have been horrendous. I either want him sidelined or out. If he’s sidelines he’s patting bottoms, if he’s coaching the coaches it’s going to be a long 2024. Basically if he stays I think there is trouble ahead.
Not True at all. He has never had a role such as those in place at Port Adelaide, Collingwood, Brisbane or Melbourne. All of those coaches would definitely have input on the strategies working with the coaching group in most of the cases with former senior coaches as part of the panel.

Your opinion may be to have him side-lined but you cannot say he has been offered this much support so he is not literally trying to do it all by himself

Not True at all. He has never had a role such as those in place at Port Adelaide, Collingwood, Brisbane or Melbourne. All of those coaches would definitely have input on the strategies working with the coaching group in most of the cases with former senior coaches as part of the panel.

Your opinion may be to have him side-lined but you cannot say he has been offered this much support so he is not literally trying to do it all by himself
He’s had very good support since the day he walked into the club until the end of ‘21. Monty, Gia, Hansen, King, Corey, Smith, Maddocks, Moz, Russell - to name a few over various years, some pretty well regarded names there

He’s had very good support since the day he walked into the club until the end of ‘21. Monty, Gia, Hansen, King, Corey, Smith, Maddocks, Moz, Russell - to name a few over various years, some pretty well regarded names there
and in that time we won a flag and made another grand final all whilst having to have a mini rebuild which clearly indicates with genuine support he isn't useless

Come on man. I know you've lost all faith in him but that's simply not true, especially as compared to the club's surrounding us on the ladder during his tenure.
The only well regarded names there are King, maybe Hansen and possibly Monty (who was only there during his first year and a half). The rest are just your ordinary assistant coaches.

Compare that to a coaching group like Melbourne's or Richmond...well there isn't a comparison.
We still haven't replaced Monty in the first place for heck's sake.

Come on man. I know you've lost all faith in him but that's simply not true, especially as compared to the club's surrounding us on the ladder during his tenure.
The only well regarded names there are King, maybe Hansen and possibly Monty (who was only there during his first year and a half). The rest are just your ordinary assistant coaches.

Compare that to a coaching group like Melbourne's or Richmond...well there isn't a comparison.
We still haven't replaced Monty in the first place for *'s sake.
King, Gia & Hansen are all seen as future senior coaches and in the running for current roles they are the definition of well regarded. you can’t say he’s never had strong support around him that’s false.

Yes the last two years have been particularly bad

Re Naughton, the club should make a little trophy and present it to him and say "Congratulations for winning the Dermott Brereton lookalike contest, now cut the mullet off!"

Many of us would chip in some money if he wants to cut it off for charity :D

Re Naughton, the club should make a little trophy and present it to him and say "Congratulations for winning the Dermott Brereton lookalike contest, now cut the mullet off!"

My issue with Naughton is that he spent almost all of his off-season traveling all across America whilst all of the Melbourne/Collingwood players were training right through.

The off-season period is where players separate each other from other players.

King, Gia & Hansen are all seen as future senior coaches and in the running for current roles they are the definition of well regarded. you can’t say he’s never had strong support around him that’s false.

Yes the last two years have been particularly bad
Yes I can because it's true.

Gia and Hansen have as much chance of landing a senior coaching position as I do.

Compare that to Richmond, Collingwood, or Melbourne who had several former senior coaches surrounded by high quality young assistants.

The best support team we had were King, Hansen, Gia, Smith, Corey and Morris. Insular inexperienced assistants who either started out under Bevo or were rusted on Bulldogs. This allowed Beveridge to call the shots and rule unopposed.

The higher ups then let go or low balled most of that support (rather than improve upon it) for ******* myotherapists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's be honest.

Even though the current assistants aren't the best credentialed, most inspiring bunch and are ripe for being turned over.

I dont think it would take much of a search through this board to find posts where many of the former assistants currently being hagiographied weren't getting much the same criticism. This place was downright hostile towards Gia towards the end of his time with us.

It the life of an assistant where s**t always rolls down hill. They're little more than npc cannon fodder for fans and ready scapegoats for a board that isn't willing to own its own mistakes.

Yeah I’d be very surprised, shocked even, if our coaching panel is better than that next year.

It’s gonna make 2 fifths of * all difference, at least next year he’ll be in his new contract so we can sack the campaigner on the cheap 🤞
If it comprises Dew and Cameron. It's already better by leagues than the above.

We all know he’s not useless, but the way he wasted the last two seasons was completely disgraceful and he should be replaced
How did he waste them? The club had a much bigger responsibility and didn't give him enough support which is clear as day,

I am skeptical of his ability to coach next year as he looks mentally drained however if he isn't in charge of everything like he is now and gets back to the role he was best at with good coaching group around him he is still one of the better coaches in the league

My issue with Naughton is that he spent almost all of his off-season traveling all across America whilst all of the Melbourne/Collingwood players were training right through.

Bit rich to complain about about how someone spends their off-season imo. Do you work during your holidays?

Come on that is just a completely terrible take. The players are entitles to take their leave of absence and use it to recharge and refresh. It's a gruelling sport all year round. The majority of players go on a holiday after the season has concluded.

Not to mention it's completely inaccurate. The Demons & Magpies players that are 'training right through' don't exist as a generalisation. You better tell Christian Petracca & Darcy Moore that they can't go on their European trips this year.

I would cancel my membership if he cuts off the mullet

He needs to spend all off-season growing a handlebar moustache, Bevo should be able to give tips there

I have some theories. Consider this a bit of Bevo devils advocate.

Bevo was clearly upset that his long term assistant Rohan Smith was given the ass, Rohan has been involved in all periods of Bevos tenure which includes the successful years so Bevo trusts and rates him as an assistant (perhaps he was upset that Rohan was given the flick before any of the other assistants that he doesn’t rate as much).

Bevo, more than any other has bemoaned the cutting of the soft cap. His current contract (as in not the two years that begins next year) was signed before the heavy soft cap cuts (meaning good assistants were out of reach as we signed Bevo to a huge deal prior to any knowledge of there being a cut). He wouldn’t agree to reduce his contract - nor should he (which ties into him not accepting a severance to leave the club as he knows his worth).

When approaching the board about improving the assistance around him, they’ve denied him due to soft cap restraints.

Next year is the first year for several that we’ve been able to realistically afford the assistant coaches we really need and Bevo has deliberately stretched himself thin because he believes a thinly stretched Bevo is still a better coach than the assistants we had (Rohan Smith excepted).

The things people don’t like about Bevo (playing favourites, not playing others, quirky player movements etc) has happened since the day he walked in, when we are winning it’s a non issue.

Any business person out there knows a healthy level of debt is key to maximising growth. If you aren’t investing and pushing the envelope you’re going backwards. We have such a minnow attitude and can’t shake the scars of years past. The club is not going to fold. Stop being tightarses, spend money, spend big where we need to and get some results. Hiring Spangher as a forward coach…………come on guys…….it’s like buying footy boots from Big W.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back