Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Naughton, Marra, Darcy, Richards are the ones I see as having the strongest leadership traits, but do need some development.

Funnily enough, I actually think Baz has the makings of an exceptional leader and think he seems like the type of person to flourish with extra responsibility - but he needs to sort his own mental demons first.
Mental demons aside, I don't see it at all with Baz.

What qualities does he have to be a leader ?

Mental demons aside, I don't see it at all with Baz.

What qualities does he have to be a leader ?
Smith was captain of both his school team and Sandringham in the under 18's. He definitely had/has leadership qualities. He generally speaks confidently, clearly and with thought, and he's one of the best trainers at the club.

Although based on the last couple of years, it would be an exceptional turnaround if he ended up in a leadership group at AFL level at any point in his career.

Smith was captain of both his school team and Sandringham in the under 18's. He definitely had/has leadership qualities. He generally speaks confidently, clearly and with thought, and he's one of the best trainers at the club.

Although based on the last couple of years, it would be an exceptional turnaround if he ended up in a leadership group at AFL level at any point in his career.
Thanks, had just started writing essentially this but you've done it far more eloquently.

Certainly a lot of water to go under the bridge, I wouldn't call it likely - but I see the attributes there. He's got charisma and has battled enough himself that people will stand up and listen if he can turn things around.

Naughton, Marra, Darcy, Richards are the ones I see as having the strongest leadership traits, but do need some development.

Funnily enough, I actually think Baz has the makings of an exceptional leader and think he seems like the type of person to flourish with extra responsibility - but he needs to sort his own mental demons first.
Liam Jones has great leadership, but is probably too old for a role.

Marcus cut his hair to align with the captaincy.

Would the same model work for Bailey Smith? Would hate to see a Samson and Delilah repetition involving Bailey and Toby McLean.

Bont was VC as was Easton.

We’re due some luck, though, for sure.
Yeah you’re right, Roughy was ‘15 I thought he was after the other two not before. But yeah since 2020 been a revolving door of bad luck, hopefully Macrae breaks that cycle before Naughty - but I definitely think Naughty will be VC within the next couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David Hale - hair restoration coach.

Last edited:

Don't get me wrong, Baz's past indiscretions should NOT prohibit him from assuming leadership roles if he has learned and changed his ways. Luke Hodge made a lot of mistakes in his formative years and became one of the great captains of the modern era. It can actually be a positive if harnessed correctly.

My issue with Baz is that everything is about Baz—how he looks and feels. Good leaders think beyond themselves. They are energised and find confidence by helping others. Everyone at the club caters to his needs; you don't hear stories the other way around. For example, Naughton spends every morning (outside of req. training times) doing skill sessions with Marra to improve his marking & grounds balls etc. Weightman has taken the 1st and 2nd year players under his wing, like Arty, helping them settle in at the club.

Whenever Baz speaks, it's mostly a cringe fest, buddled with a litany of cliches. I don't think he even believes half of the sh*t he says. He says it because that is what he believes others want him to say. Major lack of authenticity.

You don't give someone a leadership role, hoping the responsibility will change them; in fact, you're hoping for the opposite.

Yeah sounds like the role is a bit more involved than standard development and he sounds perfectly suited on paper to this role.

Really impressed with our additions so far - seems like we’ve actually identified our weaknesses and are actively trying to solve them. Egan to basically support Bev and free him up. Defence badly needed an overhaul, Greary focussed on leadership & a goalkicking coach - both big needs.

We haven’t just replaced the roles coaches in the same roles we actually seem to have put a bit more thought into it. It’s a year late but anyway - good signs, very happy
Well done Chris Grant and Ameet Bains. Strategically working through the requirements and delivering.

Incredibly
I really like this appointment. Might be the start of building a more hard-nosed culture. Geary is very much made of the right stuff. And smart to boot. Very good get Bullies.

Slow, methodical and indifferent to outside noise.

The way that processes this important are supposed to work.

benedict-cumberbatch-this.gif

I was a bit concerned about our assistant coach hunting situation at one stage. However, I'm pleased with the outcomes.

Happy with the Geary appointment. Certainly not the most talented player but a tough player who got a lot out of himself. Also regarded as a fantastic leader (you don't remain captain of a club for 5 years without being a good leader)

My only concern is, how much exposure to finals pressure did Geary get, Saints have not had much success since Riewoldt retired.

He was there from 2008, when Ross Lyon had them in grand finals.

My only concern is, how much exposure to finals pressure did Geary get, Saints have not had much success since Riewoldt retired.
He isn't playing. So I don't think that's a necessary experience for him. He's a development and leadership coach. So he will do alot of the skills sessions and work with specific personnel to set leadership structures, processes and expectations etc. Jarryn certainly seems a driven person, given his career and dare I say lack of natural talent. That personal drive is what a lot of our guys seem to be missing, so here's hoping some of it can rub off around the club.

Interestingly, in terms of the leadership role, its mentioned it will be multi faceted.

"Geary’s responsibilities will also see him providing leadership services in support of the Club’s wider commercial business internally and externally."

"Since finishing his decorated football career, the former Bendigo Pioneer has been working as the Leadership and Performance Manager at SANO Health, where he developed and implemented leadership programs for corporate and individual clients."

It will be interesting to see what the breakdown is for his role. Development coaches are typically full time as it is, but to then do internal and external leadership stuff will add a fair but more to his schedule I'd imagine.

Does anyone know when pre-season officialy kicks off for the 1-4 year players?
Hopefully quite a lot of the older guys start training early. Bont said the hard work starts now at the B&F, it will be interesting how many of the older guys start cracking in early to try and make amends for this seasons dismal effort.

Does anyone know when pre-season officialy kicks off for the 1-4 year players?
Hopefully quite a lot of the older guys start training early. Bont said the hard work starts now at the B&F, it will be interesting how many of the older guys start cracking in early to try and make amends for this seasons dismal effort.
Normally early Nov then 5+ are usually third week in Nov for non finalists I believe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back