Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Very very happy with this, I’m glad the club has recognised we need external output - doesn’t necessarily have to be a full blown external review but we absolutely needed someone with experience to offer an external eye to assist Bains in going through the ins & outs of what’s worked & what hasn’t.

I’m still pretty sure Bevo is beyond cooked and we’ll never see his brilliant best again but we haven’t set a foot wrong so far this off season after a slow start. Very confident in hindsight in the way we’re going about things and doesn’t have the same half assed feel as it has in previous years. The communication with the members has been great since we carted out Bont to face the music and then complete silence from the club for several months - glad it finally sunk in that communication is important.

Zero excuses next year now - we need to see results or heads need to roll, starting with Grant & Bevo.

Very very happy with this, I’m glad the club has recognised we need external output - doesn’t necessarily have to be a full blown external review but we absolutely needed someone with experience to offer an external eye to assist Bains in going through the ins & outs of what’s worked & what hasn’t.

I’m still pretty sure Bevo is beyond cooked and we’ll never see his brilliant best again but we haven’t set a foot wrong so far this off season after a slow start. Very confident in hindsight in the way we’re going about things and doesn’t have the same half assed feel as it has in previous years. The communication with the members has been great since we carted out Bont to face the music and then complete silence from the club for several months - glad it finally sunk in that communication is important.

Zero excuses next year now - we need to see results or heads need to roll, starting with Grant & Bevo.
The important thing is we've now afforded him every opportunity to prove the naysayers wrong. New-look coaching panel, traded in quality role players, new fitness boss - there's really no reason for him to NOT perform next year. Prelim should be the pass mark, if not a grand final

This part of the what has been a rolling review is getting down to brass tacks now.

It feels like it's going to be pretty sharply focused on Beveridge and Grants role within the club.

The important thing is we've now afforded him every opportunity to prove the naysayers wrong. New-look coaching panel, traded in quality role players, new fitness boss - there's really no reason for him to NOT perform next year. Prelim should be the pass mark, if not a grand final
Yeah absolutely, especially the addition of the full time role created for Egan should really take a load off him. Definitely no excuses now - finals are hard and you need a lot to go right, so I’d probably have a pass mark as a more consistent season resulting in top 4 + win a final.

Not top 4 but win 1 final I’d honestly have as a failure (although I can’t imagine we’d make any changes based on that result) whereas if we don’t win a final at all that will be 7 out of 8 years since ‘16 we’ve failed to win a final - and in that case you would absolutely have to swing the axe.

This part of the what has been a rolling review is getting down to brass tacks now.

It feels like it's going to be pretty sharply focused on Beveridge and Grants role within the club.
I feel like that was always the plan all along.

"Here, we're going to give you an entire fresh set of experienced coaches. The soft cap you keep mentioning? That is no longer an excuse now, the pressure is completely on you."

Seems like the review we should have had last year.

This part is important. Supporters need some transparency around what comes of the review:

“Peter will provide his advice to Club leadership outlining his perspective on our men’s program and any recommendations he has for enhancing our AFL team’s future success, which we will consider, and share relevant details of in due course.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like that was always the plan all along.

"Here, we're going to give you an entire fresh set of experienced coaches. The soft cap you keep mentioning? That is no longer an excuse now, the pressure is completely on you."
That makes sense right up to the point where we announce Peter Jackson being part of a review into the football dept.

Its pretty clear that the review announced in the immediate post season was a staged one.

Stage one: Review and refresh the line and assistant coaches and conditioning staff.

Stage two: Appoint a coaching and performance manager.

Stage three: Bring in an experienced administrator to review the football department. Even with Egans appointment this will probably see much greater delineation of roles for both Grant and especially Beveridge. Who by all accounts wields outsized influence over the football dept. If that is true, then I suspect that this will be the main focus of Jacksons input.

Stage four: A Premiership dynasty.

Excellent that the heat is being turned right up on Beveridge. No excuses next year. Stuff up the year and you're gone. Phone it in and appear disinterested again - see ya 👍

A little bit of pressure doesn’t hurt anyone, keeps you on your toes and as an individual makes you step up and smell the roses a bit more. We always hear players challenging each other for positions as it’s healthy year to year and the same should always apply to coaches, the game is always evolving and it’s their job to keep up and get the best out of their gameplan, structures to pass on to the playing group as best they can. The premiership window can be a very small one and you just need to maximise it when the opportunity presents itself.
Let’s hope this is where we are heading in the next few years

It’s a welcome move and close to what we’d been baying for but it seems arse about to me.

When you offload several coaches and go out and appoint a whole lot more BEFORE you announce a review, you have already narrowed the range of actions available to the review team. In effect preempting what they might find.

I’d have done it the other way around. Short sharp review first, then go out and get the type of people the review says you need. Perhaps they were worried all the good coaching prospects would be gone. They clearly hadn’t been tapping up these prospects mid-season so were on the back foot when the season ended so disastrously (again) and the need for a shake up became obvious.

Anyway that’s history now- the review is still a good thing. Let’s hope they really are prepared to be candid about what they find and recommend.

It’s a welcome move and close to what we’d been baying for but it seems arse about to me.

When you offload several coaches and go out and appoint a whole lot more BEFORE you announce a review, you have already narrowed the range of actions available to the review team. In effect preempting what they might find.

I’d have done it the other way around. Short sharp review first, then go out and get the type of people the review says you need. Perhaps they were worried all the good coaching prospects would be gone. They clearly hadn’t been tapping up these prospects mid-season so were on the back foot when the season ended so disastrously (again) and the need for a shake up became obvious.

Anyway that’s history now- the review is still a good thing. Let’s hope they really are prepared to be candid about what they find and recommend.
But this review appears to well and truly have Bevo in its sights. From the man himself and how he coaches to the influence he wields in all areas of admin.

But this review appears to well and truly have Bevo in its sights. From the man himself and how he coaches to the influence he wields in all areas of admin.
Yes I read that but it wasn’t all that apparent from KWWs letter to members.

Who put that spin on it?
I’m not saying they’re necessarily wrong, just wondering where the extra insight came from and how much faith to put in it.

They clearly hadn’t been tapping up these prospects mid-season so were on the back foot when the season ended so disastrously (again) and the need for a shake up became obvious.

Word is we were tapping up Leppitsch from mid-year, just didnt get him (although we were bloody close with Collingwood needing to increase his Salary and portfolio to keep him)

I agree with those who think review is good albeit a year too late. I see this part of the review as OK we’ve got the best parts that we can for right now lets ensure that all the parts now work efficiently individually and collaboratively to ensure best chance of success.

Obvious there was an imbalance of power, not to sign Jamarra before round 1 and then finally make top 4 like we all think we can/should.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back