Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

The Gold Coast Suns U18s Academy will take on the Brisbane Lions U18s Academy this Saturday at 2pm at the Southport Sharks. If you are there already to watch the Suns take on the Sharks why not stick around and watch the future generation strut their stuff afterwards?

2 different grounds?

Nearly all too old?

Would probably agree, however i am not sure whether all of them really think they can make the AFL, reading the profiles i would have assumed some were over here for a working holiday doing what they enjoy and making mates as they do it.

I hear you. I guess the best chance of this happening in the near future is if one of the Melbourne-based clubs move to Tasmania. Hypothetically, let's say North move to Tasmania. That would mean 9 interstate clubs and 9 Victorian clubs.

Funnily enough there isn't a lot Eddie can be angry about when it comes to the Suns. The GC academy has really only produced Boston so he can't exactly make a big complaint there. I can't really think of any other avenue Eddie could attack the Suns if they begin to win premierships.

According to Emma Quayle the suns set up there academy a bit later then the other 3 teams, with the swans having made the biggest investment so far and we have certainly seen the pluses in doing that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well thats a good start..
Sunny got it a bit wrong - margin 38pts -still a big win. First time Suns Academy has beaten the Lions at this level. Thought you guys would be all over this !
Strong team effort - no passengers - strong tackling pressure - from a team lacking in height but not lacking in the characteristic Suns run.
Quarter Time Brisbane 1-6 to Suns 2.0 (probably 4 goal wind assistance to Lions)
Half Time- game over - Suns 7-1 Lions 1-7
Top Player stats :
Dyson Buderick 19 disposals
Josh Brown (Gladstone) 17 disposals
Jack Bowes 16 disposals
Brad Scheer 15 disposals
(note : big interchange bench 26 players)
In previous years State side makeup 2/3 Brisbane 1/3 Gold Coast - think it will be different this year !

Sunny got it a bit wrong - margin 38pts -still a big win. First time Suns Academy has beaten the Lions at this level. Thought you guys would be all over this !
Strong team effort - no passengers - strong tackling pressure - from a team lacking in height but not lacking in the characteristic Suns run.
Quarter Time Brisbane 1-6 to Suns 2.0 (probably 4 goal wind assistance to Lions)
Half Time- game over - Suns 7-1 Lions 1-7
Top Player stats :
Dyson Buderick 19 disposals
Josh Brown (Gladstone) 17 disposals
Jack Bowes 16 disposals
Brad Scheer 15 disposals
(note : big interchange bench 26 players)
In previous years State side makeup 2/3 Brisbane 1/3 Gold Coast - think it will be different this year !

Did you watch the game ? if so do a write up of your thoughts on the game.

How did the big curly haired Buzza from the Lions go? He was at FF I think. Booted 3 goals.
Made his presence felt in more ways than one . As you said kicked 3 of their 5goals Played second ruck role rested forward a fair bit. Is a big unit - may make Queensland team playing similar role as an over ager

Made his presence felt in more ways than one . As you said kicked 3 of their 5goals Played second ruck role rested forward a fair bit. Is a big unit - may make Queensland team playing similar role as an over ager

Are you suggesting some Rugby League style defence, attitude to it?

RL style physicality? Good palm, and willingness to compete aggressively?

(at a very mobile 198cm, and 100kg, I suggest this would intimidate more than a few u18 AFL kids..;))

Last edited:
Are you suggesting some Rugby League style defence, attitude to it?

RL style physicality? Good palm, and willingness to compete aggressively?

tumblr_nj3ygtOZ5Q1qb5gkjo4_500.gif

Of course, you left out the most enlightening sentence.....

(at a very mobile 198cm, and 100kg, I suggest this would intimidate more than a few u18 AFL kids..;))

I see it at club level all the time. AFL kids cant tackle, are not taught to, and the best strategy to beat an AFL player in front of you, is to run straight at him. Very few have any idea how to tackle front on, and simply 'pretend' to attempt a tackle.

Seeing an 100kg 198cm kid with pace coming straight at you would intimidate most AFL kids even at that level. Getting tackled by the same monster who was a big tackler even as a rep RL player, would be just as, if not more intimidating.

Leaving them in fairyland, just like the AFL kid in your picture......

I see it at club level all the time. AFL kids cant tackle, are not taught to, and the best strategy to beat an AFL player in front of you, is to run straight at him. Very few have any idea how to tackle front on, and simply 'pretend' to attempt a tackle
Out of curiousity, would you say Karmichael Hunt could tackle when he was in the NRL? He only averaged 2.75 tackles a game in the AFL so perhaps it's not so much a case of not knowing how to tackle as much as it is being harder to tackle in a 360 degree game?

Of course, you left out the most enlightening sentence.....

I see it at club level all the time. AFL kids cant tackle, are not taught to, and the best strategy to beat an AFL player in front of you, is to run straight at him. Very few have any idea how to tackle front on, and simply 'pretend' to attempt a tackle.

Seeing an 100kg 198cm kid with pace coming straight at you would intimidate most AFL kids even at that level. Getting tackled by the same monster who was a big tackler even as a rep RL player, would be just as, if not more intimidating.

Leaving them in fairyland, just like the AFL kid in your picture......

A big difference is that playing AF you are taught to go the ball, not the man, you are not looking to wrap the man up all the time, and you much more easily fall for a dummy as the ball is the primary object, the game is 360% as well, the angles are much more different to RL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back