Bateman

Team Captain
Jul 7, 2005
Alfred Cove
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Newcastle United, East Perth
Heard a rumour yesterday that there is a huge push to get the AFL to review the Fyfe suspension, in light of how other decisions have evolved since then.
AFL's Mark Evans has stated that the decision won't be changed, but it will be a huge embarrassment if Fyfe wins by a country mile but is ruled ineligible.
Commentators and past players have been very vocal about the perceived injustice and I wonder if a serious legal challenge was made whether things might change.

What absolute nonsense.

I want Jason Cloke eligible for the 2002 Grand Final. In fact while we're at it, I want Anthony Rocca's goal back too.

Mistakes happen, Freo just need to deal with it.

The one where the goal umpire, and Chris Johnson were both under the post and said it was a point?

Oh hang on, Rocca and Leigh who was about a hundred metres away thought it was a goal.

Time to forget about it chief and move on. We'd like it if the AFL didn't shaft us a home final and a proper break in 2004 but what can you do?

The one where the goal umpire, and Chris Johnson were both under the post and said it was a point?

Oh hang on, Rocca and Leigh who was about a hundred metres away thought it was a goal.

Time to forget about it chief and move on. We'd like it if the AFL didn't shaft us a home final and a proper break in 2004 but what can you do?
I wasn't really being sincere...

Regardless, you can't just change the rules mid-season because you feel they got a decision wrong

Can't wait for McKernan's to be retrospectively awarded then.

Heard a rumour yesterday that there is a huge push to get the AFL to review the Fyfe suspension, in light of how other decisions have evolved since then.
AFL's Mark Evans has stated that the decision won't be changed, but it will be a huge embarrassment if Fyfe wins by a country mile but is ruled ineligible.
Commentators and past players have been very vocal about the perceived injustice and I wonder if a serious legal challenge was made whether things might change.

Am I correct in thinking Freo never appealed the penalty ?
If so then Freo are just as much to blame as the incompetent twits at the corrupt MRP.

It won't be a huge embarrassment at all.

It'll be a complete devaluing of the award if this appeal gets up and he wins it.

MVP is for best player.
Coaches award is for best player.
Age player of the year is for best player.

Brownlow is for FAIREST and best. That's what makes is special. Take away the history and tradition, and it loses what makes it any different.

It won't be a huge embarrassment at all.

It'll be a complete devaluing of the award if this appeal gets up and he wins it.

MVP is for best player.
Coaches award is for best player.
Age player of the year is for best player.

Brownlow is for FAIREST and best. That's what makes is special. Take away the history and tradition, and it loses what makes it any different.
Unfortunately the goal posts have changed dramatically during the last 30 years which now makes a mockery of the "Fairest" part.
History and tradition have little to do with the current system.
Consider how history would look if the following players were competing under the current MRP in their glory years;
Goodes, Ricciuto, Voss, Williams, Liberatore, Lockett, DiPierdomenico.

Unfortunately the goal posts have changed dramatically during the last 30 years which now makes a mockery of the "Fairest" part.
Consider how history would look if the following players were competing under the current MRP in their glory years;
They played by the rules envoked on the competition for that particular year, and thats all you have to do, be the Best and Fairest for one season to claim the award. Tradition still exists even if the game evolves!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What absolute nonsense.

I want Jason Cloke eligible for the 2002 Grand Final. In fact while we're at it, I want Anthony Rocca's goal back too.

Mistakes happen, Freo just need to deal with it.

You mean when Cloke punched Edwards head into the Southern stand knocking him out? Completely different to the accident that saw Fyfe unfairly suspended.

I think with the way that head clash rule is written the suspension is correct. The coaches voted on it after the Thomas-Reid incident in rd 1 last year so it was changed.

Whether you agree with it or not is another thing, but the MRP made the correct call given the rules in place.

How have the new current MVP effected Goodes he still does what ever he wants unpunished.

Won't happen.

McKernan and C Grant were both robbed of brownlows by soft suspensions that should never have been, why should Fyfe be any different?

Couldn't help yourself, could you?
That wasn't the main point of what I was saying...

Your post had no point as Cloke was clearly guilty in any form of system while Fyfes was just a mistake.

Your post had no point as Cloke was clearly guilty in any form of system while Fyfes was just a mistake.
Alastair Lynch did the exact same thing the next year and was cleared. At the time it was a harsh penalty and he was pretty clearly going for the ball.

Regardless, by the rules as they stand, Fyfe's suspension was right. So you can't change the rule mid-year to get him off.

Alastair Lynch did the exact same thing the next year and was cleared. At the time it was a harsh penalty and he was pretty clearly going for the ball.

Regardless, by the rules as they stand, Fyfe's suspension was right. So you can't change the rule mid-year to get him off.

In no way was Clokes harsh in fact it was a disgrace the way Eddie went on about it.

No one would be unhappy if Fyfe was allowed to win a Brownlow as being suspended for what is a fair bump is a joke.

In no way was Clokes harsh in fact it was a disgrace the way Eddie went on about it.

No one would be unhappy if Fyfe was allowed to win a Brownlow as being suspended for what is a fair bump is a joke.
Except by the current rules the bump wasn't fair.

You can whinge about the rule all you want, but it was in place at the start of the year, everybody knew it and he chose to bump anyway knowing the consequences.

Except by the current rules the bump wasn't fair.

You can whinge about the rule all you want, but it was in place at the start of the year, everybody knew it and he chose to bump anyway knowing the consequences.

It was deemed a accident and during the season they have overlooked these incidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back