Premiership Player
Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 1, 2014
Melbourne/Victoria.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
LA Clippers, Arsenal, SFA Bombers
Welcome to Game Day! Once again, released on a Monday due to holiday reasons. Today we interview Sweet FA creator Mobbenfuhrer who tells us about his views on the league, how it's changed and of course, much, much more! Here we go.

"Match threads going into the four digits. What the ******* christ on a ******* cross is that all about? "

"None of you matter to me. I continue to treat the league as a single-player game."

1000 hours is spent scrolling through the SFA. Over 100 users and roughly 10 teams.
1 league. This 'thing,' what ever you want to call it, the reason behind several hours of entertainment. Personalities flare, and the wanna be comedians shine. But this 'thing,' also has a reasoning behind it. And that reason is you. Years ago, you created what we now know as our internet home. Reputation never seems to stop reflecting off the prestigious award, "The Mobbs Medal." The inquisitiveness in me will question you on a matter that reveals the reason as to how this was invented. So Mobbs, what inspired you to create the SFA, and what changes have you seen in the league since the start?

As far as inspiration to create the actual Sweet FA, that was the advent of Bigfooty applied to an existing pastime. Well, while the framework for the game had already been in place from some many years earlier, but was never applied to an internet community. Qooty had been restricted to a single computer, and the social base for a league consisted of how many mates happened to be over at the time. Discovering Bigfooty changed that. I hadn't been a member of the site for very long when it struck me that folks might find the simulator fun in a messageboard format. I suggested it - on the AFL board, there weren't many boards back then - and enough people were inquisitive to at least set up a couple of teams. Abducting players without their knowledge helped with the early growth of the league.

Inspiration to run a "fantasy" league at all? That's just personal nerdishness. I had a fake league as early as 1989. All the player names, the teams, were fake, invented. The "spectators" were workmates and friends, but mainly simply myself. A hypothetical world should never be without a hypothetical footy league. You don't want to know how far I had taken that world. You don't have the medication.

The league has developed continually since its inception. Some things I can rattle off include: players were recruited without their knowledge, the squads were 20 players strong (no relegating or promoting), teams were more ad hoc and creative ("Team Kournikova", "Team Timmy") and faded in and out of existence with the snap of fingers. One guy ran the show (me for the first season and a half), there was one season per year - not two-ish. The sim was much different, I had only just tweaked it to handle the web. The first matches had no commentary, just me watching the game and posting updates to scores and making some comments. The commentary when introduced was in all caps, and had far less breadth of range compared to now. Match threads were basically just the matches themselves, usually just the one page or two long. Media was certainly a thing, but it was less prolific, and less involved. Most importantly, everyone got to play, no matter whether you were "posting" or not. Posting simply didn't really matter that much.

It was a more exciting, interesting, and satisfying time.

Tantrums. Long posts. Some of us wanted Juggalo Balla with his push for admin, and fight for the off-season to become shorter, to suck on a small round cup of shut the **** up. Seasons come and seasons go for a player like you, and you have experienced every single off-season in the SFA to the current date. With this, when was the longest off season you've ever experienced? Should the off season have been shorter? Keeping tantrums in mind, what is the worst meltdown in the SFA that you've seen?

Off-seasons mean nothing to me. I bugger off and drop back in when the season's on again. State of Origin means nothing, Werewolf games mean nothing. You, especially, mean nothing. None of you matter to me. I continue to treat the league as a single-player game. If others paid as little care to what others said, there'd be less idiotic hijacking of the concept, and the place would look more like a league or a game, and less like a chain of Youtube comments.

Tantrums, sure, go for it. Juggalo Balla was up for Admin? Sure, why not. Who cares? I don't follow all that trash. I don't even know who runs it now. The league's alive, so they must be ok.

The off-season wasn't short? Seemed damn short to me. There was always some rubbish going on, never an actual break. If I can feel inundated while essentially perma-afk, I don't think the break could have been too long.

Clearly you didn't listen when I answered your previous questions. The longest off-season would have been between Season 1 and Season 2, or maybe between Seasons 2 and 3. There was one season per year. Let me repeat; one season per year. Shall I direct you to my abacus?

I don't know about meltdowns. I don't really pay attention to anything that goes on apart from what's said to me, or the current page of posts when I check in on a match thread. People complained a lot when Hitman 's Darkness Eternal hit the stage in Season 2 and stole almost everyone's players. That was hilarious. Then there was that bloke who cracked the shits with Ljp86 ... can't remember his name, a mate of Eth 's ... he quit the game. A rival messageboard brought their league's finest over to play the Sweet FA and while the results were overall equally shared, some of the outsiders were aghast at the trash-talking. At the Roys timthetoolman went off his tree when he wasn't being selected despite never having posted in the forum for a couple of years - he thought he'd earnt his spot with some B&Fs and could kick back. Wona didn't take too kindly to being told his posting was dog turds, and disappeared. So I guess I am aware of a few.

I guess when it comes to ongoing tantrum-throwing, the biggest culprit is me. I'm actually currently in ragequit mode, I just happen to still get selected anyway.

(Before I changed it)

PS: Don't invent your own swear filter character transpositions. Read the ******* rules.

You've seen clubs come and go and players come and go. You've undoubtedly seen thousands of posts. Many may be crap, many may be good. Either way, my point stays the same. Thousands of posts, results in hundreds of players. Out of all of these aspiring Qootiers, my question might seem common, but is always a difficult one to answer by virtue of the many possible answers. Who is the greatest poster that you have ever seen in the SFA? What big potential rookie with the EKA medal to their name felt the curse, the worst?

The best poster? You haven't been around here long, have you? I suggest you go tell any high-profile veteran of this game that you asked me that, and watch them burst out laughing.

Recognition for "posting" is the plague of the game. It has absolutely nothing to do with the intent of the software, or originally for the competition itself. That one person could be elevated higher than another for their quantity OR quality of "posting" is a chancrous blight on the Sweet FA.

This is indicative of the internet as a whole. Everybody gets a voice, but almost nobody deserves one. The interwaves are replete with trash talking as though anything they say matters in the least. Unfortunately the stupid have a potential audience huge enough that they can find others of the stupid ready to lap their stupidity up. Like on the greater web, the vast majority of people in this game have close to nothing of worth to say.

If I had to answer, I'd probably say - and again I don't read much of all the s**t here so its usually confined to my own team - that Fred is high on the list. He only speaks when he cares to feel there's a point to it. He's better at abstaining than I am. Of those who are highest profile, I guess Ljp86 because he doesn't say much and he tempers it with a hard-working application to stats. Others also provide stats, but they also talk a lot, which rules them out. cooney has it down fairly well.

Usually the more people prattle on, the more they give away how terrible they are. I'm terrible. This is all crap.

Look at the podcasts for a more stark example. Maybe it's improved but when I stopped listening to them there were 50 minute shows of numbats patting themselves on the back about how clever they each thought the other was. There was about 5 minutes worthwhile in each one, spread thinly across the whole. But they're still not as bad as the posting.

Match threads going into the four digits. What the ******* christ on a ******* cross is that all about? I have said it before and I'll say it yet again - we need forum software that limits each player to a maximum 5 or 10 posts per thread. Maybe then people would consider what they had to contribute before they unleashed their excrement all over the site.

Your idea of yourself as an entertainer might amuse your kids or your grandpappy but even they are just humouring you because you are (probably) family.

The worst are those who post over and over again because they feel its necessary to reply to everything. Words of advice: Just. Shut. Up.

I don't understand your EKA question, but it sounds stupid.

You are the father of many things (with many wives) including the fun footy simulator that is QOOTY. Obviously, it was your own idea, but how did you make it? What programs did you use? For the simple minded like I, I'd love to know. Will there be any updates in the SFA future? If so, what adjustments will be made? And last of all, on behalf of thyself, will QOOTY ever be released to Mac?

It's the Sweet FA. I should refuse to answer further until you get it right.

Qooty (QuickFooty) was originally programmed on an old XT PC in about 1992. It was written in QBasic, which is a simple entry level language that ran from DOS, then MS-DOS, then Windows Pretend DOS. It actually replaced a Commodore 64 Basic game I'd written around 1989 called Real Time Footy.

Various amendments were made over the years. It started to become problematic to run on Windows. When Vista was released it became a real struggle. I eventually realised that QBasic was simply no longer supported.

But I found a community who were developing a compiler program that took QBasic programs and created .exe's out of them. After many many weeks of trial and error I eventually converted the whole thing, releasing Qooty 10.0 ("Qooty Fwoar").

There have been a few more updates but its basically all over now. What you get is what you see. I no longer have the time due to personal distractions.

I will never make a Mac version but maybe WINE can run it. Unsure if anyone has tried.

It seems like this question will not stop popping up in my head! But your username is odd. Hitler is all I think of. And recently, I do admit, I looked up Mobben. Mobben is a German word meaning to bully and hassle. And Fuhrer when unrelated to Adolf Hitler is another German word for leader. Both German words, is your username meant to mean the bullying leader? Or is it related to Adolf Hitler?

You're half right. fuhrer is for leader, but mobben is just a reference to the word "mob". In the 1990s I was heavily involved in a Fitzroy-supporting grog squad called "The Mob" and a friend at the time dubbed me with this nickname. I'm sure the way it draws a picture of the nazi ex-librarian in people's minds was definitely not lost on my friend, who I'm sure giggled his way to the troll bank. I'd like to say the name stuck, but it didn't really, until I stared at the Bigfooty signup screen for an hour unsure what to call myself.

Big thanks to league creator Mobbenfuhrer for the interview! Enjoy your week and thank you for reading.

Mobbs is on the angry pills it seems at the moment. Was an interesting read, and if I'm not reading into it too far he seems a little embarrassed of what his creation has become.
I think so. He seems to say that he is pissed off with how official it's become perhaps?

Welcome to Game Day! Once again, released on a Monday due to holiday reasons. Today we interview Sweet FA creator Mobbenfuhrer who tells us about his views on the league, how it's changed and of course, much, much more! Here we go.

"Match threads going into the four digits. What the ******* christ on a ******* cross is that all about? "

"None of you matter to me. I continue to treat the league as a single-player game."

1000 hours is spent scrolling through the SFA. Over 100 users and roughly 10 teams.
1 league. This 'thing,' what ever you want to call it, the reason behind several hours of entertainment. Personalities flare, and the wanna be comedians shine. But this 'thing,' also has a reasoning behind it. And that reason is you. Years ago, you created what we now know as our internet home. Reputation never seems to stop reflecting off the prestigious award, "The Mobbs Medal." The inquisitiveness in me will question you on a matter that reveals the reason as to how this was invented. So Mobbs, what inspired you to create the SFA, and what changes have you seen in the league since the start?

As far as inspiration to create the actual Sweet FA, that was the advent of Bigfooty applied to an existing pastime. Well, while the framework for the game had already been in place from some many years earlier, but was never applied to an internet community. Qooty had been restricted to a single computer, and the social base for a league consisted of how many mates happened to be over at the time. Discovering Bigfooty changed that. I hadn't been a member of the site for very long when it struck me that folks might find the simulator fun in a messageboard format. I suggested it - on the AFL board, there weren't many boards back then - and enough people were inquisitive to at least set up a couple of teams. Abducting players without their knowledge helped with the early growth of the league.

Inspiration to run a "fantasy" league at all? That's just personal nerdishness. I had a fake league as early as 1989. All the player names, the teams, were fake, invented. The "spectators" were workmates and friends, but mainly simply myself. A hypothetical world should never be without a hypothetical footy league. You don't want to know how far I had taken that world. You don't have the medication.

The league has developed continually since its inception. Some things I can rattle off include: players were recruited without their knowledge, the squads were 20 players strong (no relegating or promoting), teams were more ad hoc and creative ("Team Kournikova", "Team Timmy") and faded in and out of existence with the snap of fingers. One guy ran the show (me for the first season and a half), there was one season per year - not two-ish. The sim was much different, I had only just tweaked it to handle the web. The first matches had no commentary, just me watching the game and posting updates to scores and making some comments. The commentary when introduced was in all caps, and had far less breadth of range compared to now. Match threads were basically just the matches themselves, usually just the one page or two long. Media was certainly a thing, but it was less prolific, and less involved. Most importantly, everyone got to play, no matter whether you were "posting" or not. Posting simply didn't really matter that much.

It was a more exciting, interesting, and satisfying time.

Tantrums. Long posts. Some of us wanted Juggalo Balla with his push for admin, and fight for the off-season to become shorter, to suck on a small round cup of shut the **** up. Seasons come and seasons go for a player like you, and you have experienced every single off-season in the SFA to the current date. With this, when was the longest off season you've ever experienced? Should the off season have been shorter? Keeping tantrums in mind, what is the worst meltdown in the SFA that you've seen?

Off-seasons mean nothing to me. I bugger off and drop back in when the season's on again. State of Origin means nothing, Werewolf games mean nothing. You, especially, mean nothing. None of you matter to me. I continue to treat the league as a single-player game. If others paid as little care to what others said, there'd be less idiotic hijacking of the concept, and the place would look more like a league or a game, and less like a chain of Youtube comments.

Tantrums, sure, go for it. Juggalo Balla was up for Admin? Sure, why not. Who cares? I don't follow all that trash. I don't even know who runs it now. The league's alive, so they must be ok.

The off-season wasn't short? Seemed damn short to me. There was always some rubbish going on, never an actual break. If I can feel inundated while essentially perma-afk, I don't think the break could have been too long.

Clearly you didn't listen when I answered your previous questions. The longest off-season would have been between Season 1 and Season 2, or maybe between Seasons 2 and 3. There was one season per year. Let me repeat; one season per year. Shall I direct you to my abacus?

I don't know about meltdowns. I don't really pay attention to anything that goes on apart from what's said to me, or the current page of posts when I check in on a match thread. People complained a lot when Hitman 's Darkness Eternal hit the stage in Season 2 and stole almost everyone's players. That was hilarious. Then there was that bloke who cracked the shits with Ljp86 ... can't remember his name, a mate of Eth 's ... he quit the game. A rival messageboard brought their league's finest over to play the Sweet FA and while the results were overall equally shared, some of the outsiders were aghast at the trash-talking. At the Roys timthetoolman went off his tree when he wasn't being selected despite never having posted in the forum for a couple of years - he thought he'd earnt his spot with some B&Fs and could kick back. Wona didn't take too kindly to being told his posting was dog turds, and disappeared. So I guess I am aware of a few.

I guess when it comes to ongoing tantrum-throwing, the biggest culprit is me. I'm actually currently in ragequit mode, I just happen to still get selected anyway.

(Before I changed it)

PS: Don't invent your own swear filter character transpositions. Read the ******* rules.

You've seen clubs come and go and players come and go. You've undoubtedly seen thousands of posts. Many may be crap, many may be good. Either way, my point stays the same. Thousands of posts, results in hundreds of players. Out of all of these aspiring Qootiers, my question might seem common, but is always a difficult one to answer by virtue of the many possible answers. Who is the greatest poster that you have ever seen in the SFA? What big potential rookie with the EKA medal to their name felt the curse, the worst?

The best poster? You haven't been around here long, have you? I suggest you go tell any high-profile veteran of this game that you asked me that, and watch them burst out laughing.

Recognition for "posting" is the plague of the game. It has absolutely nothing to do with the intent of the software, or originally for the competition itself. That one person could be elevated higher than another for their quantity OR quality of "posting" is a chancrous blight on the Sweet FA.

This is indicative of the internet as a whole. Everybody gets a voice, but almost nobody deserves one. The interwaves are replete with trash talking as though anything they say matters in the least. Unfortunately the stupid have a potential audience huge enough that they can find others of the stupid ready to lap their stupidity up. Like on the greater web, the vast majority of people in this game have close to nothing of worth to say.

If I had to answer, I'd probably say - and again I don't read much of all the s**t here so its usually confined to my own team - that Fred is high on the list. He only speaks when he cares to feel there's a point to it. He's better at abstaining than I am. Of those who are highest profile, I guess Ljp86 because he doesn't say much and he tempers it with a hard-working application to stats. Others also provide stats, but they also talk a lot, which rules them out. cooney has it down fairly well.

Usually the more people prattle on, the more they give away how terrible they are. I'm terrible. This is all crap.

Look at the podcasts for a more stark example. Maybe it's improved but when I stopped listening to them there were 50 minute shows of numbats patting themselves on the back about how clever they each thought the other was. There was about 5 minutes worthwhile in each one, spread thinly across the whole. But they're still not as bad as the posting.

Match threads going into the four digits. What the ******* christ on a ******* cross is that all about? I have said it before and I'll say it yet again - we need forum software that limits each player to a maximum 5 or 10 posts per thread. Maybe then people would consider what they had to contribute before they unleashed their excrement all over the site.

Your idea of yourself as an entertainer might amuse your kids or your grandpappy but even they are just humouring you because you are (probably) family.

The worst are those who post over and over again because they feel its necessary to reply to everything. Words of advice: Just. Shut. Up.

I don't understand your EKA question, but it sounds stupid.

You are the father of many things (with many wives) including the fun footy simulator that is QOOTY. Obviously, it was your own idea, but how did you make it? What programs did you use? For the simple minded like I, I'd love to know. Will there be any updates in the SFA future? If so, what adjustments will be made? And last of all, on behalf of thyself, will QOOTY ever be released to Mac?

It's the Sweet FA. I should refuse to answer further until you get it right.

Qooty (QuickFooty) was originally programmed on an old XT PC in about 1992. It was written in QBasic, which is a simple entry level language that ran from DOS, then MS-DOS, then Windows Pretend DOS. It actually replaced a Commodore 64 Basic game I'd written around 1989 called Real Time Footy.

Various amendments were made over the years. It started to become problematic to run on Windows. When Vista was released it became a real struggle. I eventually realised that QBasic was simply no longer supported.

But I found a community who were developing a compiler program that took QBasic programs and created .exe's out of them. After many many weeks of trial and error I eventually converted the whole thing, releasing Qooty 10.0 ("Qooty Fwoar").

There have been a few more updates but its basically all over now. What you get is what you see. I no longer have the time due to personal distractions.

I will never make a Mac version but maybe WINE can run it. Unsure if anyone has tried.

It seems like this question will not stop popping up in my head! But your username is odd. Hitler is all I think of. And recently, I do admit, I looked up Mobben. Mobben is a German word meaning to bully and hassle. And Fuhrer when unrelated to Adolf Hitler is another German word for leader. Both German words, is your username meant to mean the bullying leader? Or is it related to Adolf Hitler?

You're half right. fuhrer is for leader, but mobben is just a reference to the word "mob". In the 1990s I was heavily involved in a Fitzroy-supporting grog squad called "The Mob" and a friend at the time dubbed me with this nickname. I'm sure the way it draws a picture of the nazi ex-librarian in people's minds was definitely not lost on my friend, who I'm sure giggled his way to the troll bank. I'd like to say the name stuck, but it didn't really, until I stared at the Bigfooty signup screen for an hour unsure what to call myself.

Big thanks to league creator Mobbenfuhrer for the interview! Enjoy your week and thank you for reading.

You tell 'em Mobbs, you tell 'em.

I've also learnt 2 things.
  • Mobbsy used to own a gaming handle called, "Dead Steve Jobbs"
  • Mobbsy is generally only on at night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate stupid people as well.

[Mobbs]The first matches had no commentary, just me watching the game and posting updates to scores and making some comments.

I demand this be brought back.

It really shouldn't be underrated how well Citroin pulled this interview off. I never considered interviewing Mobbs and now I wish I did.

* me! Citroin, that was great.

4sBuzKD.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back