Game styles of current teams

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
During the commentary for the Big Freeze King's Birthday clash they contrasted the styles of the two sides: Collingwood's free flowing, run and gun style vs Melbourne's stoppage/territory game. Got me thinking about how you'd classify the current teams currently.

I'd say Adelaide, Essendon, North Melbourne, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, also play that Collingwood style. A lot of handballs, play on at all costs, create space.

Brisbane, Carlton, Melbourne, Sydney seem to be about locking it up/stoppages etc a lot. A lot of kick mark, down the line, slow buildup. They also tend to bomb it in and hope for f50 marks and set shots.

The rest seem like a mix between the two.

Last edited:

I'd say the Suns play a super direct type of footy, if you watch Soccer, the Suns play very much Route 1 footy, where they just bang it as long as possible to the next contest, long kick inside the forward 50 and back our players to win the contest. This lends it to be very low possession and low handballs (we are 18th in the AFL for handballs).

This happened in the Crows game where we had Anderson with 28 touches and the next most was Powell with 18, very different to a lot of other styles teams are trying to roll with.

During the commentary for the Big Freeze King's Birthday clash they contrasted the styles of the two sides: Collingwood's free flowing, run and gun style vs Melbourne's stoppage/territory game. Got me thinking about how you'd classify the current teams currently.

I'd say Adelaide, Essendon, North Melbourne, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, also play that Collingwood style. A lot of handballs, play on at all costs, create space.

Brisbane, Carlton, Melbourne, Sydney seem to be about locking it up/stoppages etc a lot. A lot of kick mark, down the line, slow buildup. They also tend to bomb it in and hope for f50 marks and set shots.

We have had a big change this year… big kicking team to handball forward team.

We tend to play on, but use the wings as well as the corridor. Our forwards aren't that great at contested marking, but we have a lot of talent up there so tend towards an attacking style. Squiggle (imperfect as it may be) has us with the 4th-best attack but the 3rd-worst defence.

We play sexy football
the simpsons stupid sexy flanders GIF

"Run and gun" just means "playing on a lot". Commentators just like a thing that rhymes. (Like "stops, and props". When really the player usually just stops, without any propping to be seen).
To be fair to the commentators, usually when a player shakes they do, in fact, subsequently bake.

I'm biased but still think Geelong play a wonderful brand which often is high scoring and great viewing.

Was a period there, 2-3 years (Scarlett & Enright were coaches) where we were chipping it around too slowly from the backline and getting caught out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear a lot of pundits still praise the Swans for their in-and-under contest work as if it's 2005 or 2012.

Swans are another attacking flair ball movement side when they are up and running. They definitely aren't a bash and crash contested side anymore.

Another way that I've seen it distinguished is corridor teams v wing teams

A lot of the good sides bar Collingwood like building their attacks down the line rather than risking it up the middle

A lot of the good sides bar Collingwood like building their attacks down the line rather than risking it up the middle
Port love the middle. Collingwood are more a boundary team

Brisbane play a low disposal, long kicking and high stoppage game. We don't generally like to handball (averaging -44 vs opp), overlap and run with the ball (as a side we have a total of 16 running bounces this year), or utilise our wingers for width.

Defensively the game plan centers around forward half pressure resulting in repeat forward half stoppage which plays to the perceived strength in clearances. The issue currently being the inability/unwillingness of the players to sustain that level of effort.

Transition from D50 typically results in long down the wing to a contest, and try to force a stoppage.

I hear a lot of pundits still praise the Swans for their in-and-under contest work as if it's 2005 or 2012.

Swans are another attacking flair ball movement side when they are up and running. They definitely aren't a bash and crash contested side anymore.
Yeah they do seem to be a bit of both, felt they were more attacking last year though.

They seem to go down the corridor a lot too. It seems the more marking teams like it go down the line more.

Brisbane play a low disposal, long kicking and high stoppage game. We don't generally like to handball (averaging -44 vs opp), overlap and run with the ball (as a side we have a total of 16 running bounces this year), or utilise our wingers for width.

Defensively the game plan centers around forward half pressure resulting in repeat forward half stoppage which plays to the perceived strength in clearances. The issue currently being the inability/unwillingness of the players to sustain that level of effort.

Transition from D50 typically results in long down the wing to a contest, and try to force a stoppage.
Yeah it's a very physical style. I think you still need that speed/transition to be a genuine premiership threat. Hope they make some adjustments to be even better second half of the year. Still think they're a contender.

I'd say the Suns play a super direct type of footy, if you watch Soccer, the Suns play very much Route 1 footy, where they just bang it as long as possible to the next contest, long kick inside the forward 50 and back our players to win the contest. This lends it to be very low possession and low handballs (we are 18th in the AFL for handballs).

This happened in the Crows game where we had Anderson with 28 touches and the next most was Powell with 18, very different to a lot of other styles teams are trying to roll with.
Yep a lot of young teams playing this style, definitely fun to watch. Hope the Suns finally make finals this year.

James Sicily said after the game yesterday that even though the Hawks doubled their opponents handball count, it wasn't actually a strategy coming into the game. It was just something that was working on the day, so we kept at it.

The Tigers for a while have loved to just get the ball forward at all costs, love forward handball and running in waves. Taking territory and trying to dominate the field position game. Then set up behind the bail out kick and try and use strong intercepting defenders to gain repeat entries and get it back in.

Not as good at it as we were with an older and slower side and players not at their previous peak, but the attacking gameplan is still very similar. What has dropped off is we used to have high numbers at the ball and contest, and a really strong pressure game, but again age and speed declining have reduced that aspect of our game.

I'm biased but still think Geelong play a wonderful brand which often is high scoring and great viewing.

Was a period there, 2-3 years (Scarlett & Enright were coaches) where we were chipping it around too slowly from the backline and getting caught out.
2022 especially it was noticeably different to previous years. Prior to that, it was a much more measured approach to offence. I think the change to more attacking, risk taking footy was a massive factor in leading to the flag last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back