Opinion Are the Demons currently experiencing some kind of Perth curse?

Are the Demons experiencing a Perth curse?

• Yes

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In all seriousness, I think the Demons are suffering the curse of 'being a sublimely talented football team that unfortunately doesn't have a competent tall forward'

Their defence is exceptional. Their ball winning and toughness in the midfield is exceptional. They have X factor in Gawn, Petracca, Kosi, etc. That's enough... exccept in really big finals, where the stakes and pressure rise just a little bit and every weakness gets exposed.

Every team has its soft spots, but Melbourne couldn't even chuck a Brodie Grundy sized stopgap in last night and it hurt them a lot imo.

I don’t remember the Dogs or Eagles ever being talked about seriously as a potential dynasty. We all knew the dogs had a great September, and the Eagles were the beneficiaries of a big Richmond choke
No they were, Dogs were young with that superstar Jake Stringer, Eagles with the inclusion of Tim Kelly to that superstar midfield were going to win the next 6. As for Richmonds Choke the B2B Premierships made up for that. How many B2Bs did the Cats win again? oh thats right, zero

Even in 2021 the lack of quality key forwards was a concern (Brown well past his best which was quality). They will continue to face the same roadblocks as we did in 2005 unless it’s addressed.

The only curse the Demons have is a forward curse, they were clearly the better side against Carlton, but completely and predictably "Blue" it!... There will be more than a few grumblings when they conduct their end-of-season post-mortem...

I don’t remember the Dogs or Eagles ever being talked about seriously as a potential dynasty. We all knew the dogs had a great September, and the Eagles were the beneficiaries of a big Richmond choke
And as for chokes, the Cats know all about that, 2006, 2008, 2010, lets not even mention 2012 to 2021. I'd be here all day

Last edited:
Their forward line issues would be mitigated if their mids outside of Petracca and Neale-Bullen (who is barely a mid, more a high half forward) kicked more goals.

Viney: 8 goals
Brayshaw: 2 goals
Gawn: 10 goals
Hunter: 6 goals
Langdon: 6 goals
Neale-Bullen: 19 goals
Oliver: 6 goals
Petracca: 28 goals
Salem: 0 goals

WC in 2004-05 were able to kick blistering scores despite a perfunctory forward line because their mids were regular goal kickers. Melbourne without a firing Fritsch and Pickett simply struggle to score at all. You add an extra 15-20 goals across all players here and it's simply not an issue.

Just to be clear, this is not solely a KPF issue although that'd help. The problem is that the ball isn't going to ground as much, and setting up to try and score from a front half stoppage necessitates your smalls putting in the work and your bigs knocking the loose/aerial ball to good positionsn and that just isn't happening either. Pickett is an excellent crumber, but how much more effective would their front half be if they had Dan Butler to go with him?

Whoever the forward line coach is - and the midfield coach, to an extent - needs to work out where they're kicking from in terms of field position prior to entry inside 50 - are they kicking from 60-80 out, could they instead run the ball 15-20m further to allow shots on the run from their more dominant midfield from 40? - and where they're kicking to inside 50. Find a way to produce stoppages a little closer to goal and win the ball clear to run it within range instead of looking for a target or blasting from 50; prize shots from 40 on the run from players who we know are good long range kicks instead of precise darts to a singular leading player. That's not to say you never go to Fritsch, but they go to him too much at present.

You can't just bang it to the hot spot these days. You need a plan if that's your go to bring it to ground in dangerous positions with the smalls in the right spot to execute, and it's so reliant on preventing intercepting defenders derailing it before it even begins.
Good post and observations. Midfield scoring has been an issue for a while. I think if your midfielders are offensive in mindset it really does make your opponent accountable. You also need defensive mids to balance that. What you say re KP is important, I do think the contest not being halved or won by big forwards is problematic, and in part not having Petty and JVR last night really hurt. Plus Melksham whom plays tall as well.

We didn’t play Petty forward because of Grundy. You can’t pick Grundy and not play him yet it was an unmitigated disaster. Petty was swung forward and immediately impacted. His loss is huge. The consensus to an extent on the Demons board is that Oliver is an extractor and that’s it. His kicking is poor and you’re simply going to have to kick the ball in this game. I’d also be advocating Trent Rivers get on the ball, he is much better a user. ANB potentially rotating on a wing with Hunter.

We’ve got one more year of getting good footy from Gawn and May then I fear the cliff comes. We’ve lost two finals by an average of 4.5 points due to poor goal kicking. We haven’t been demolished. It’s all fixable.

In all seriousness, I think the Demons are suffering the curse of 'being a sublimely talented football team that unfortunately doesn't have a competent tall forward'

Their defence is exceptional. Their ball winning and toughness in the midfield is exceptional. They have X factor in Gawn, Petracca, Kosi, etc. That's enough... exccept in really big finals, where the stakes and pressure rise just a little bit and every weakness gets exposed.

Every team has its soft spots, but Melbourne couldn't even chuck a Brodie Grundy sized stopgap in last night and it hurt them a lot imo.
You’re probably overrating Pickett. A very average year and needs a lot of soul searching over summer to get it right. Probably going to get rubbed out as well.

When you say talent well our midfield isn’t talented enough to lower the eyes. Changes afoot if we are to improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're a strong team who has a bit of a weak forward line. They lost 2 very close finals by a combined 9pts and could've easily won both games.
They'll be fine. Need to find a decent forward this off-season. Not sure who, or from where, but that should be the goal.

The Yips.

Not the yippity yips.
Or the yippity yeehaas.

Just the Yips.

No, I just think they're another Bulldogs, Eagles team, win a Premiership, promised Dynasties and not delivered. Richmond cops a of shiit (And yes mostly because of our supporters) but I think Dynasty teams have to have multiple pillars all running succinctly, culture, gamestyle, drive, talent, no injuries and luck, To keep all those balls in the air at once is next to impossible. The teams that achieved Dynasties really should be applauded.

Congratulations on your dynasty, I’m extremely envious. Just need to bring in
limited exposure to travel, home ground finals, GF against interstate teams as important elements of Richmond and Hawthorn dynasties.

Except 2020. Massive credit for that one. That was very meritorious. You totally deserve that, awesome effort.

Interstate dynasties are non existent except for Brisbane. Why- travel and non access to home finals when the lower ranked participant.

Remember Brisbane would have won 4 but for their MCG home prelim in 2004.

limited exposure to travel, home ground finals, GF against interstate teams as important elements of Richmond and Hawthorn dynasties.

Except 2020. Massive credit for that one. That was very meritorious. You totally deserve that, awesome effort.

Interstate dynasties are non existent except for Brisbane. Why- travel and non access to home finals when the lower ranked participant.

This.

The AFL carefully ensured a successful Richmond and Hawthorn in their glory years through favouritism in draws and finals fixtures. It’s why the AFL will ensure favouritism for Carlton next week and Collingwood the rest of the year. Absolutely huge supporter bases and they want success as I’ll facilitate a much higher uplift in membership sales and grass roots support.

They’ve financially invested in QLD and NSW and will continue to, but big 4 flags are the absolute cream.

Victorian teams do have a disadvantage of not really having a Home ground advantage against 9 other Melbourne teams in the competition. An interstate QF, PF against a Melbourne team really should book all interstate teams a ticket to the GF if you finish top 4. The home ground advantage is massive.

Victorian teams do have a disadvantage of not really having a Home ground advantage against 9 other Melbourne teams in the competition. An interstate QF, PF against a Melbourne team really should book all interstate teams a ticket to the GF if you finish top 4. The home ground advantage is massive.
Not going into this again but you’re absolutely wrong.

LOL Hawthorn? yeah use an archetype dating back to 2015 that'll win you a premiership. Collingwood and the rest of the competition have literally ripped off Richmonds Coaches, style, culture and ip. but yeah just ignore that.

Jesus christ this is sensitive.

The persons point was “don’t rest on your laurels - even as a flag side Clarkson looked for improvement, not just redoing the same thing over and over”.

And somehow you think that “archetype” from 2015 wouldn’t work ?? You don’t think improving on your flag side would work? Like, maybe adding Lynch to a flag + prelim side, and developing the likes of Bolton, Balta and Baker to replace more limited guys like Townsend & Butler.

Geez, imagine that “archetype”.

Collingwoods ball movement and style is completely different to Richmond of 2017-2020.

And where did Richmond get their coach from?

Not to mention the coaches of West Coast (flag), Dogs (flag), Brisbane (prelims).

Back