Opinion Bris- The curse of the Afl sponsored Ferrari?

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s been a pretty spectacular rise for Brisbane over the last 10 yrs, going back to 2013.
Back then it was a mass exodus of players..again.
Jonathon Brown retires, Harvey gets the bullet for Lepitsch and five players leave.
Elliot Yeo
Jared Polec
Billy Longer
Patrick Karnezis
Sam Docherty

They get an incredible 12 draft selections. 8 national 4 rookie.

Yeo = pick 28
Polec = pick 22, 34, 48 (Three way
deal)
Longer= Pick 25, 41
Docherty = pick 33
Karnezis = straight swap for Jackson Paine

Selections could’ve been a lot better :

With these picks Brisbane chose the following: James Aish (seven), Darcy Gardiner (22), Dan McStay (25), Lewis Taylor (28), Tom Cutler (33), Nick Robertson (34), Jonathan Freeman (62) and Justin Clarke (75).

Picks taken straight after

Pick 7: James Aish
Pick 9: Christian Salem (Melbourne)

Note: Luke McDonald was a North Melbourne father-son selection at Pick 8

Pick 22: Darcy Gardiner
Pick 23: Matt Crouch (Adelaide)

Pick 25: Daniel McStay
Pick 26: Zach Merrett (Essendon)

Pick 28: Lewis Taylor
Pick 29: Rory Lobb (GWS)

Pick 33: Tom Cutler
Pick 34: Nick Robertson
Pick 35: Toby Nankervis

2015 lose Aish

2016 = 19 losses and get a priority pick and go to the draft with
Pick 2, 19*, 20, 28
From 2016 onwards they got McCluggage, Berry, the Big O, Charlie Cameron, Neale, Rayner, Bailey, Ashcroft, Fletcher, Starcevich, Payne, Lyons, McCarthy, Ah Chee, Robertson, Coleman, Daniher, McKenna, Dunkley and Wilmot - that's 19 of the 25 that were in the GF squad and Ashcroft would have if he didn't do his knee.
(Thanks to #bru#Bru#brutas76t)

2017 Dayne Beams Captain (enuf said about that)

2018 Parachute in Hodge for leadership/culture.

2018 season = 17 losses.
2019 season = 16 wins. (Incredible)

2019 season till last weeks GF
106 games 29 losses win% of 72%. Pretty incredible.
We all know the last few years finals record and their H/A record but that’s a stacked team.
And has benefited hugely from handouts.
So, the point is I happen to think they’re not a strong club and its strong clubs with a strong culture that win GF’s.
I know that’s inflammatory and some might say they only lost by four points however…
Collingwood:
No CHF
No CHB
No Adams (their #1 ball extrac#1r)
No sub for the last quarter (sub was Lipinski) so couldn’t inject more run in the last 30 min.
You would think the all running players for the Pies would have covered more ground for the game.
It was 28 degrees.

Half of Collingwoods goals came from around 50 or further out because “No CHF”
The only scoring threat from Collingwood was BHill.
How many times do you reckon Hill would’ve had to pick himself up off the ground if Maynard or Stewart or Grimes or May hadve been in the back 6?
I’m not saying Collingwood are easy beats, not at all.
But every other team in that top 8 would’ve been licking their lips if the Pies had no CHF and then lost their CHB in the first quarter.

IMO opinion there is a real lack of culture at Brisbane.
I see alotve similarities between the Leon Cameron GWS team to this Bris team and I think it’s because of all the handouts over the years. There’s a real lack of determination not to lose in the team and I think it all starts with the Coach and Captain.

Harris Andrews Vs Frampton but still Bris -11 in intercepts.

I still shake my head that they couldn’t win that.

Last quarter of the GF
BRIS
-21 in disposals, it was like they were waiting for Collingwood to get tired but the Pies didn’t.

For the game
-20 in tackles.

The diff between the two clubs couldnt be more stark in my opinion.
A club that had to live with the ridicule for the salary dumps and the way the 2018 GF played out had to faced huge adversity and get over it coming into the GF and during it compared to a club that has had so much given to it.

Soft.

Last edited:
Bizarre rant. I think you need to respect Collingwood a bit more.

It’s been a pretty spectacular rise for Brisbane over the last 10 yrs, going back to 2013.
Back then it was a mass exodus of players..again.
Jonathon Brown retires, Harvey gets the bullet for Lepitsch and five players leave.
Elliot Yeo
Jared Polec
Billy Longer
Patrick Karnezis
Sam Docherty

They get an incredible 12 draft selections. 8 national 4 rookie.

Yeo = pick 28
Polec = pick 22, 34, 48 (Three way
deal)
Longer= Pick 25, 41
Docherty = pick 33
Karnezis = straight swap for Jackson Paine

Selections could’ve been a lot better :

With these picks Brisbane chose the following: James Aish (seven), Darcy Gardiner (22), Dan McStay (25), Lewis Taylor (28), Tom Cutler (33), Nick Robertson (34), Jonathan Freeman (62) and Justin Clarke (75).

Picks taken straight after

Pick 7: James Aish
Pick 9: Christian Salem (Melbourne)

Note: Luke McDonald was a North Melbourne father-son selection at Pick 8

Pick 22: Darcy Gardiner
Pick 23: Matt Crouch (Adelaide)

Pick 25: Daniel McStay
Pick 26: Zach Merrett (Essendon)

Pick 28: Lewis Taylor
Pick 29: Rory Lobb (GWS)

Pick 33: Tom Cutler
Pick 34: Nick Robertson
Pick 35: Toby Nankervis

2015 lose Aish

2016 = 19 losses and get a priority pick and go to the draft with
Pick 2, 19*, 20, 28
From 2016 onwards they got McCluggage, Berry, the Big O, Charlie Cameron, Neale, Rayner, Bailey, Ashcroft, Fletcher, Starcevich, Payne, Lyons, McCarthy, Ah Chee, Robertson, Coleman, Daniher, McKenna, Dunkley and Wilmot - that's 19 of the 25 that were in the GF squad and Ashcroft would have if he didn't do his knee.
(Thanks to #bru#Bru#brutas76t)

2017 Dayne Beams Captain (enuf said about that)

2018 Parachute in Hodge for leadership/culture.

2018 season = 17 losses.
2019 season = 16 wins. (Incredible)

2019 season till last weeks GF
106 games 29 losses win% of 72%. Pretty incredible.
We all know the last few years finals record and their H/A record but that’s a stacked team.
And has benefited hugely from handouts.
So, the point is I happen to think they’re not a strong club and its strong clubs with a strong culture that win GF’s.
I know that’s inflammatory and some might say they only lost by four points however…
Collingwood:
No CHF
No CHB
No Adams (their #1 ball extrac#1r)
No sub for the last quarter (sub was Lipinski) so couldn’t inject more run in the last 30 min.
You would think the all running players for the Pies would have covered more ground for the game.
It was 28 degrees.

Half of Collingwoods goals came from around 50 or further out because “No CHF”
The only scoring threat from Collingwood was BHill.
How many times do you reckon Hill would’ve had to pick himself up off the ground if Maynard or Stewart or Grimes or May hadve been in the back 6?
I’m not saying Collingwood are easy beats, not at all.
But every other team in that top 8 would’ve been licking their lips if the Pies had no CHF and then lost their CHB in the first quarter.

IMO opinion there is a real lack of culture at Brisbane.
I see alotve similarities between the Leon Cameron GWS team to this Bris team and I think it’s because of all the handouts over the years. There’s a real lack of determination not to lose in the team and I think it all starts with the Coach and Captain.

Harris Andrews Vs Frampton but still Bris -11 in intercepts.

I still shake my head that they couldn’t win that.

Last quarter of the GF
BRIS
-21 in disposals, it was like they were waiting for Collingwood to get tired but the Pies didn’t.

For the game
-20 in tackles.

The diff between the two clubs couldnt be more stark in my opinion.
A club that had to live with the ridicule for the salary dumps and the way the 2018 GF played out had to faced huge adversity and get over it coming into the GF and during it compared to a club that has had so much given to it.

Soft.

Your club was a pissweak club with a f**khouse culture and then suddenly it won a flag.

How the f**k does ‘being a strong/weak club’ with a ‘strong/weak culture’ determine why a team lost a game by less than a kick in a grand final?

If this is the standard we are dealing with over the off season, oh great.

Too much analysis is done on this sort of stuff. They lost one game of footy in which they played extremely well, by 5 points. It has absolutely nothing to do with anything other than just being pipped by a slightly better team on the day
4 points 👍

Agree though, it was a very close thing

People are always looking for formulas but there's nothing inevitable in a 4 point loss/win

Too much analysis is done on this sort of stuff. They lost one game of footy in which they played extremely well, by 5 points. It has absolutely nothing to do with anything other than just being pipped by a slightly better team on the day
Collingwood no CHF no CHB
It’s not accurate to say it was a rotation down but no sub on 28 degree day to bring in fresh legs…
They should have won that game.

I think with the amount of talent they’ve got in…the reason they lose finals and games at the G is about a lack of culture and strong leaders.

I pointed out the amount of 1st/2nd Rnds they’ve been GIVEN. On top of poor finishing IMO is the difference compared to teams like my club who had to build from the top down on our own.
Without handouts.
Handouts don’t work, culture works

It’s not accurate to say it was a rotation down but no sub on 28 degree day to bring in fresh legs…

I think with the amount of talent they’ve got in…the reason they lose finals and games at the G is about a lack of culture and strong leaders.

I pointed out the amount of 1st/2nd Rnds they’ve been GIVEN. On top of poor finishing IMO is the difference compared to teams like my club who had to build from the top down on our own.
Without handouts.

Alex Rance.

Without handouts.
Pick 19 in 2016?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm so confused. I'm not sure if you know how the draft works, but every team gets given a pick in each round of the draft. The additional pick 28 was from the Aish trade the year prior.
No need for a priority pick in my view.
Or to go looking for one

I mean I guess Richmond should've given back the priority pick they got, instead of using it on Alex Rance.
I forgot the three first rnders they had in the 2017 draft

The only teams that have benefited more from the draft and handouts are GWS and GC.
There’s no question about it

I forgot the three first rnders they had in the 2017 draft

The only teams that have benefited more from the draft and handouts are GWS and GC.
There’s no question about it

One from free agency (Rockliff, who got the same compensation as Motlop) and one courtesy of Richmond.

3/10 for the trolling effort.

What is bro even yapping about?

All I took from this rant is a lot of players wanted out of Brisbane and, they got a lot of picks in return. You also want to praise collingwood for overcoming its terrible list management.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back