Opinion Bris- The curse of the Afl sponsored Ferrari?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ladies and gentlemen, you're going to have to get used to this style of thread for the next 5-30 years as Richmond goes into continuous 5 year rebuild mode. We just need to stick together and support one another and we will get through it.

Soooo ... Lions lose a truckload of players (which they spent valuable draft capital on which I note wasn't factored in) to a bunch of clubs and get a bunch of draft picks in return (which absolutely no one at the time was saying 'gee the Lions really won that trade') which they use to draft a bunch of players that didn't really help and were so bad that they were given an end of first round priority pick (while being worse and for longer than other teams who received start of first round or immediately after their first pick ones).

Yeah - totally given the keys to the MCG there rolls eyes

Now if you want to complain about us getting Swan and Fages and Noble to allow us to reset our culture and gradually turn ourselves from feeder-club-extraordinaire to destination-club feel free but claiming we are the love-child of the AFL due so some imagined plethora of gifted draft picks ... all I can ask is the following philosophical question... "What colour is the sky in your world?"

Collingwood no CHF no CHB
It’s not accurate to say it was a rotation down but no sub on 28 degree day to bring in fresh legs…
They should have won that game.

I think with the amount of talent they’ve got in…the reason they lose finals and games at the G is about a lack of culture and strong leaders.

I pointed out the amount of 1st/2nd Rnds they’ve been GIVEN. On top of poor finishing IMO is the difference compared to teams like my club who had to build from the top down on our own.
Without handouts.
Handouts don’t work, culture works
Yes, but Collingwood have the second coming of Jesus in Nick Daicos they should have the next decade of premierships wrapped up. In fact, the Lions must have played like the USA Dream team to even get close. Anything under a 10-goal thumping in those future Premierships should be looked at as failures

Too much analysis is done on this sort of stuff. They lost one game of footy in which they played extremely well, by 5 points. It has absolutely nothing to do with anything other than just being pipped by a slightly better team on the day
Totally agree. Had the lions lost like the swans did, yeah let’s go into analysis overdrive but it was more often than not, less than a goal the difference for the whole game. Pies were fantastic. Lions were fantastic. It really could have gone either way.

Pick 25: Daniel McStay
Pick 26: Zach Merrett (Essendon)
Yep, could have got Zac, except he was always going to the Dons where his brother was.
It’s a shame Ben Lennon was taken by the Tigs at 12 in the same draft, because he would have been handy as.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s been a pretty spectacular rise for Brisbane over the last 10 yrs, going back to 2013.
Back then it was a mass exodus of players..again.
Jonathon Brown retires, Harvey gets the bullet for Lepitsch and five players leave.
Elliot Yeo
Jared Polec
Billy Longer
Patrick Karnezis
Sam Docherty

They get an incredible 12 draft selections. 8 national 4 rookie.

Yeo = pick 28
Polec = pick 22, 34, 48 (Three way
deal)
Longer= Pick 25, 41
Docherty = pick 33
Karnezis = straight swap for Jackson Paine

Selections could’ve been a lot better :

With these picks Brisbane chose the following: James Aish (seven), Darcy Gardiner (22), Dan McStay (25), Lewis Taylor (28), Tom Cutler (33), Nick Robertson (34), Jonathan Freeman (62) and Justin Clarke (75).

Picks taken straight after

Pick 7: James Aish
Pick 9: Christian Salem (Melbourne)

Note: Luke McDonald was a North Melbourne father-son selection at Pick 8

Pick 22: Darcy Gardiner
Pick 23: Matt Crouch (Adelaide)

Pick 28: Lewis Taylor
Pick 29: Rory Lobb (GWS)

Pick 33: Tom Cutler
Pick 34: Nick Robertson
Pick 35: Toby Nankervis

2015 lose Aish

2016 = 19 losses and get a priority pick and go to the draft with
Pick 2, 19*, 20, 28
From 2016 onwards they got McCluggage, Berry, the Big O, Charlie Cameron, Neale, Rayner, Bailey, Ashcroft, Fletcher, Starcevich, Payne, Lyons, McCarthy, Ah Chee, Robertson, Coleman, Daniher, McKenna, Dunkley and Wilmot - that's 19 of the 25 that were in the GF squad and Ashcroft would have if he didn't do his knee.
(Thanks to #bru#Bru#brutas76t)

2017 Dayne Beams Captain (enuf said about that)

2018 Parachute in Hodge for leadership/culture.

2018 season = 17 losses.
2019 season = 16 wins. (Incredible)

2019 season till last weeks GF
106 games 29 losses win% of 72%. Pretty incredible.
We all know the last few years finals record and their H/A record but that’s a stacked team.
And has benefited hugely from handouts.
So, the point is I happen to think they’re not a strong club and its strong clubs with a strong culture that win GF’s.
I know that’s inflammatory and some might say they only lost by four points however…
Collingwood:
No CHF
No CHB
No Adams (their #1 ball extrac#1r)
No sub for the last quarter (sub was Lipinski) so couldn’t inject more run in the last 30 min.
You would think the all running players for the Pies would have covered more ground for the game.
It was 28 degrees.

Half of Collingwoods goals came from around 50 or further out because “No CHF”
The only scoring threat from Collingwood was BHill.
How many times do you reckon Hill would’ve had to pick himself up off the ground if Maynard or Stewart or Grimes or May hadve been in the back 6?
I’m not saying Collingwood are easy beats, not at all.
But every other team in that top 8 would’ve been licking their lips if the Pies had no CHF and then lost their CHB in the first quarter.

IMO opinion there is a real lack of culture at Brisbane.
I see alotve similarities between the Leon Cameron GWS team to this Bris team and I think it’s because of all the handouts over the years. There’s a real lack of determination not to lose in the team and I think it all starts with the Coach and Captain.

Harris Andrews Vs Frampton but still Bris -11 in intercepts.

I still shake my head that they couldn’t win that.

Last quarter of the GF
BRIS
-21 in disposals, it was like they were waiting for Collingwood to get tired but the Pies didn’t.

For the game
-20 in tackles.

The diff between the two clubs couldnt be more stark in my opinion.
A club that had to live with the ridicule for the salary dumps and the way the 2018 GF played out had to faced huge adversity and get over it coming into the GF and during it compared to a club that has had so much given to it.

Soft.

I'm not reading all that.
But I'm happy for you.
Or sorry that happened

It’s been a pretty spectacular rise for Brisbane over the last 10 yrs, going back to 2013.
Back then it was a mass exodus of players..again.
Jonathon Brown retires, Harvey gets the bullet for Lepitsch and five players leave.
Elliot Yeo
Jared Polec
Billy Longer
Patrick Karnezis
Sam Docherty

They get an incredible 12 draft selections. 8 national 4 rookie.

Yeo = pick 28
Polec = pick 22, 34, 48 (Three way
deal)
Longer= Pick 25, 41
Docherty = pick 33
Karnezis = straight swap for Jackson Paine

Selections could’ve been a lot better :

With these picks Brisbane chose the following: James Aish (seven), Darcy Gardiner (22), Dan McStay (25), Lewis Taylor (28), Tom Cutler (33), Nick Robertson (34), Jonathan Freeman (62) and Justin Clarke (75).

Picks taken straight after

Pick 7: James Aish
Pick 9: Christian Salem (Melbourne)

Note: Luke McDonald was a North Melbourne father-son selection at Pick 8

Pick 22: Darcy Gardiner
Pick 23: Matt Crouch (Adelaide)

Pick 28: Lewis Taylor
Pick 29: Rory Lobb (GWS)

Pick 33: Tom Cutler
Pick 34: Nick Robertson
Pick 35: Toby Nankervis

2015 lose Aish

2016 = 19 losses and get a priority pick and go to the draft with
Pick 2, 19*, 20, 28
From 2016 onwards they got McCluggage, Berry, the Big O, Charlie Cameron, Neale, Rayner, Bailey, Ashcroft, Fletcher, Starcevich, Payne, Lyons, McCarthy, Ah Chee, Robertson, Coleman, Daniher, McKenna, Dunkley and Wilmot - that's 19 of the 25 that were in the GF squad and Ashcroft would have if he didn't do his knee.
(Thanks to #bru#Bru#brutas76t)

2017 Dayne Beams Captain (enuf said about that)

2018 Parachute in Hodge for leadership/culture.

2018 season = 17 losses.
2019 season = 16 wins. (Incredible)

2019 season till last weeks GF
106 games 29 losses win% of 72%. Pretty incredible.
We all know the last few years finals record and their H/A record but that’s a stacked team.
And has benefited hugely from handouts.
So, the point is I happen to think they’re not a strong club and its strong clubs with a strong culture that win GF’s.
I know that’s inflammatory and some might say they only lost by four points however…
Collingwood:
No CHF
No CHB
No Adams (their #1 ball extrac#1r)
No sub for the last quarter (sub was Lipinski) so couldn’t inject more run in the last 30 min.
You would think the all running players for the Pies would have covered more ground for the game.
It was 28 degrees.

Half of Collingwoods goals came from around 50 or further out because “No CHF”
The only scoring threat from Collingwood was BHill.
How many times do you reckon Hill would’ve had to pick himself up off the ground if Maynard or Stewart or Grimes or May hadve been in the back 6?
I’m not saying Collingwood are easy beats, not at all.
But every other team in that top 8 would’ve been licking their lips if the Pies had no CHF and then lost their CHB in the first quarter.

IMO opinion there is a real lack of culture at Brisbane.
I see alotve similarities between the Leon Cameron GWS team to this Bris team and I think it’s because of all the handouts over the years. There’s a real lack of determination not to lose in the team and I think it all starts with the Coach and Captain.

Harris Andrews Vs Frampton but still Bris -11 in intercepts.

I still shake my head that they couldn’t win that.

Last quarter of the GF
BRIS
-21 in disposals, it was like they were waiting for Collingwood to get tired but the Pies didn’t.

For the game
-20 in tackles.

The diff between the two clubs couldnt be more stark in my opinion.
A club that had to live with the ridicule for the salary dumps and the way the 2018 GF played out had to faced huge adversity and get over it coming into the GF and during it compared to a club that has had so much given to it.

Soft.
Imagine putting so much time into sounding so stupid.

Yeah, my opinion is a bit inflammatory, but getting back to what the OP is about…it’s about how they choked.
The reason I think they choked is because they have so much handed to them and haven’t had to build it themselves.
The fact is Collingwood played a defensive CHF because they had no other tall marking option.
They effectively played one less Fwd. Andrew’s was unsighted till the last quarter.
They had lost a significant Def in the first quarter and put in their sub, Lipinski.
Lipinski is not a Defender.

17 losses in 2018
to
16 wins in 2019
Miraculous

My view is they played the system to get picks and they’ve also been handed picks, and the AFL have dropped people into Brisbane to give them a leg up.

But because they haven’t built it themselves, haven’t developed leaders, they haven’t built a culture.
That’s the problem, it’s all been handouts.

What you have said is one of the most insanely pointless posts I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent original post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Soooo ... Lions lose a truckload of players (which they spent valuable draft capital on which I note wasn't factored in) to a bunch of clubs and get a bunch of draft picks in return (which absolutely no one at the time was saying 'gee the Lions really won that trade') which they use to draft a bunch of players that didn't really help and were so bad that they were given an end of first round priority pick (while being worse and for longer than other teams who received start of first round or immediately after their first pick ones).

Yeah - totally given the keys to the MCG there rolls eyes

Now if you want to complain about us getting Swan and Fages and Noble to allow us to reset our culture and gradually turn ourselves from feeder-club-extraordinaire to destination-club feel free but claiming we are the love-child of the AFL due so some imagined plethora of gifted draft picks ... all I can ask is the following philosophical question... "What colour is the sky in your world?"
Hawthorn and Richmond benefited much more from their implosions this century. Eventually even Melbourne's refused to keep being crap.

Yeah, my opinion is a bit inflammatory, but getting back to what the OP is about…it’s about how they choked.
The reason I think they choked is because they have so much handed to them and haven’t had to build it themselves.
The fact is Collingwood played a defensive CHF because they had no other tall marking option.
They effectively played one less Fwd. Andrew’s was unsighted till the last quarter.
They had lost a significant Def in the first quarter and put in their sub, Lipinski.
Lipinski is not a Defender.

17 losses in 2018
to
16 wins in 2019
Miraculous

My view is they played the system to get picks and they’ve also been handed picks, and the AFL have dropped people into Brisbane to give them a leg up.

But because they haven’t built it themselves, haven’t developed leaders, they haven’t built a culture.
That’s the problem, it’s all been handouts.

Thing is, if they’re posting this on the mainboard. If this is one their smartest minds. Then imagine what is going on over on the tigers board. Truly some mind opening stuff. Thank you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back