Gaming Question of the Month - What game would you make?

Remove this Banner Ad

A few days late again in the month, but still going strong!

This time we're going for a bit of a creativity angle. This one is purely based on everyone who has ever said 'they should've done this', 'I would've done that', 'this can't be that hard' in response to faults or issues they have seen in a video game.

Well, now is your chance to say how 'you would do it' if you had the choice, team and money to make your very own video game. What would it be? What genre would it fit in? Would you take a current IP and try to change it up?

We hear a lot of people talk about how Call of Duty has stagnated as a series, but what, if you had the chance to change how it's made would you do to 'fix' it?

Personally my take on a game would be to attempt a different style of game that Dead Island was. Take what that very first and amazing trailer gave and turn THAT into the game.

I've had this start in my mind, that similar to how Dead Island starts with one of (not sure as I haven't played) the characters getting drunk walking around and falling into their apartment. Instead of that, it would start with the inference that you're a drunk person, but turn out that you're the very first zombie that starts this island wide infection and for at least an hour or two you walk around just infecting as many people as you can, maybe in a manner that is puzzle like to add some form of variety in. Then eventually the perspective switches to someone who has to then clean the island of as many people as possible.

I'd like to see a similar open world format which would play out similarly, with a better variety in missions however. Only I'd like to see some strong indoor linear environments that really play up the atmosphere and horror, bringing in a feel and sense of survival horror.

Now obviously we've seen Day Z take the open world Zombie survival horror genre by storm, so there could easily be some form of cross over. Really making it truly survival, scavenging for items, and really making injuries and anything truly dangerous. But also have more reason for getting these items than just to have them, apply an objective or end point somewhere along the line.

Personally, that's something of the type of game I'd like to see. Something that really gives survival horror a true sense of survival again and something that's not just an easy action game.

So the question is asked, what game would you make?

PREVIOUSLY ASKED QUESTIONS OF THE MONTH:
Are Boss Fights Necessary?
Is DLC a Good thing or a Bad thing?
How Important is Story? Gameplay over Story? Story over Gameplay?
Which Genre will shine brightest next-gen?

I'd make another Call Of Duty, sit back and collect money, then laugh at your games sales :thumbsu:

and your cycle changes all the time HBK, i found something to help you stop worrying (turns out stress actually effects your cycle, making you late sometimes) http://pregnancy.about.com/od/amipregnant/a/missedperiod.htm

I seriously dont see the fascination with Pokemon.

Im sure a lot of people could make any game better in there own minds, but if it was as simple as we thought it would be to implement those things in a game 9/10 times it would be done.

A 3D Pokemon fighting game
A little like Pokemon Colosseum battles except you control the pokemon (3rd person).

I toyed with game development about 15 years ago... obviously it never went too far. Made a pretty functional poker game with AI built for the computer player to improve their hands and bluff etc. Then started looking at creating an RTS when I dumped it in the "too hard" (not enough time) basket. Still here was my basic idea for the RTS.

Pretty similar RTS to the popular ones out there (Age of ... ) etc.

- 3 playable races based around god based cultures: Egyptian, Greek and Norse.
- each race has a campaign of around 11 missions with each mission unlocking a "God" for that race.
- Gods basically grant abilities to use throughout the mission.
- goal is basically to keep the faith of your people.
- keep faith via multiple tactics (force, generosity etc) and using God abilities.
- obviously missions would progressive get harder etc.
*** single player campaign catch though is... the very last level (after unlocking all the Gods) sees you play off against all the souls you have 'lost' (those that didn't believe or whom you killed) during your campaign. They're now aligned with the forces of the underworld/hell and the devil... so you face off against them.

The idea here is you have to be tactful throughout your campaign... instead of simply blazing through via force. The more people you loose during the campaign the more you will face in the final mission and the harder it will be to complete.

That was the general idea and no idea if there are similar games out there. RTS's are so 90s now too :p

I toyed with game development about 15 years ago... obviously it never went too far. Made a pretty functional poker game with AI built for the computer player to improve their hands and bluff etc. Then started looking at creating an RTS when I dumped it in the "too hard" (not enough time) basket. Still here was my basic idea for the RTS.

Pretty similar RTS to the popular ones out there (Age of ... ) etc.

- 3 playable races based around god based cultures: Egyptian, Greek and Norse.
- each race has a campaign of around 11 missions with each mission unlocking a "God" for that race.
- Gods basically grant abilities to use throughout the mission.
- goal is basically to keep the faith of your people.
- keep faith via multiple tactics (force, generosity etc) and using God abilities.
- obviously missions would progressive get harder etc.
*** single player campaign catch though is... the very last level (after unlocking all the Gods) sees you play off against all the souls you have 'lost' (those that didn't believe or whom you killed) during your campaign. They're now aligned with the forces of the underworld/hell and the devil... so you face off against them.

The idea here is you have to be tactful throughout your campaign... instead of simply blazing through via force. The more people you loose during the campaign the more you will face in the final mission and the harder it will be to complete.

That was the general idea and no idea if there are similar games out there. RTS's are so 90s now too :p
Obviously you didn't mention too much about how the gameplay works, but it actually sounds a little like From Dust.

Although not as dark with the ending. :p Probably not as traditional RTS either.

Brown FPS

Given lead musclehead faggy "unique" name,

Dead serious tone through it.

Kill aliens/Nazi's/Brown people to save world.

Release on Xbox. 16 year old white kids lap it up, make millions,

But Srsly, Online Pokemon game as someone else said, cap it to 251, heavy emphasis on stratagy/training and building pokemon with IV's.

I'm not the biggest fan of the polygonal style of previous 3D pokemon games.

But if we are doing the full blown DS style games on console Cel-shading fixes that aesthetically. Cap it at 151 or 251 and create a full blown RPG mirroring (but not 100%) the events of the first games/animie.

Sit back and collect your billions of dollars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would make a 40k tabletop game. If you kept it 100% to the tabletop game then it would be mundane and tedious so a few sacrifices/implementations need to be made. It would be similar to the new X-COM game with the turn takings and dynamic camera angles and spiffiness and all that.

I have no idea how it would turn out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back