Multiplat Yakuza games

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone else wish real life was like a Yakuza game where random people on the street give you thousands of dollars?

”I am sorry for being an a-hole to you. Here is $1000 for your troubles.”
Hmm, no, I'd rather not have gangs of people constantly trying to kick my ass for no reason. I'm not Kiryu, I'm not surviving that!

I've spent the last 24 hours devouring the internet for even the smallest crumb on what RGG are doing next and found a few "leaks" in the last 6 months that said similar things. Let's say I'm having trouble letting go after IW lol. Judgement 3 in 2025, another Gaiden type and a remake of some sort.

The remake most are saying would be Kiwami 3 over Kenzan and we already have things in the Dragon Engine like models for Richardson, Lau and young Haruka, as well as lots of the Hawaii assets can be reused for Ryukyu. Apparently Inshin met all internal expectations but it was planned to be a once off and not an indicator of remaking Kenzan. Y3 is also the origin of lots of Kiryu's current story. Some have cited RGG's comments about no plans in the past to make anymore Kiwamis as there are the remasters to refute this but at this stage with RGG's new western fans they are almost forced to remake these games. They would also be guaranteed money printers.

The Gaiden one makes sense because they already said these sorts of games are on the radar one the next has probably been in development for a while. I'm pretty sure it was confirmed too that Man Who Erased His Name was actually developed after IW? I thought I read this ages ago and would make sense as I think that game actually looked better than IW. The unceremonious death of a certain character in IW who was prominent in MHEHN also seemed like even the bulk of the story was written after IW.

Playing through the coliseum tournaments to get the last two pictures, “Image of a Tiger” and “Image of a Dragon”. Just as I am thinking the payout isn’t much and I will be spending the next 2-3 hours here (sitting on around 5,000 points and I need 18,000 in total), the next level pops and the arena is “Breakout GP”. Take a weapon, break one or two glass panels around the arena and knock all 3 fighters off the arena all inside one minute. 10 minutes and 6 victories later and I am on 20,000 points lol.

Playing through the coliseum tournaments to get the last two pictures, “Image of a Tiger” and “Image of a Dragon”. Just as I am thinking the payout isn’t much and I will be spending the next 2-3 hours here (sitting on around 5,000 points and I need 18,000 in total), the next level pops and the arena is “Breakout GP”. Take a weapon, break one or two glass panels around the arena and knock all 3 fighters off the arena all inside one minute. 10 minutes and 6 victories later and I am on 20,000 points lol.

Which game was this again? It's for Komaki training isn't it, to get Tiger Drop? I remember thinking the exact same then reading that tip somewhere lol.

Which game was this again? It's for Komaki training isn't it, to get Tiger Drop? I remember thinking the exact same then reading that tip somewhere lol.

Great memory, yeah it’s for the Tiger Drop. Kiwami 1.

I've spent the last 24 hours devouring the internet for even the smallest crumb on what RGG are doing next and found a few "leaks" in the last 6 months that said similar things. Let's say I'm having trouble letting go after IW lol.

Haha same. I have literally fallen in love with this series all over again since I’ve started going through the substories.

Judgement 3 in 2025, another Gaiden type and a remake of some sort.

The remake most are saying would be Kiwami 3 over Kenzan and we already have things in the Dragon Engine like models for Richardson, Lau and young Haruka, as well as lots of the Hawaii assets can be reused for Ryukyu. Apparently Inshin met all internal expectations but it was planned to be a once off and not an indicator of remaking Kenzan. Y3 is also the origin of lots of Kiryu's current story. Some have cited RGG's comments about no plans in the past to make anymore Kiwamis as there are the remasters to refute this but at this stage with RGG's new western fans they are almost forced to remake these games. They would also be guaranteed money printers.

The Gaiden one makes sense because they already said these sorts of games are on the radar one the next has probably been in development for a while. I'm pretty sure it was confirmed too that Man Who Erased His Name was actually developed after IW? I thought I read this ages ago and would make sense as I think that game actually looked better than IW. The unceremonious death of a certain character in IW who was prominent in MHEHN also seemed like even the bulk of the story was written after IW.

Would like another Judgment game, I don’t love the series like I love Yakuza but it is still a pretty good detective game.

Kiwami 3 most definitely, just one of those games that needs to be upgraded with the latest engine. I care about that game getting the Kiwami treatment more than I would Y4 or 5. Never played Kenzan so would love that to be remade, apparently not on the cards (it doesn’t sound like Kiwami 3 is either mind you) but we will see I suppose.

Another LAD game will definitely happen and hopefully in the next 3 years.

Haha same. I have literally fallen in love with this series all over again since I’ve started going through the substories.

Would like another Judgment game, I don’t love the series like I love Yakuza but it is still a pretty good detective game.

Kiwami 3 most definitely, just one of those games that needs to be upgraded with the latest engine. I care about that game getting the Kiwami treatment more than I would Y4 or 5. Never played Kenzan so would love that to be remade, apparently not on the cards (it doesn’t sound like Kiwami 3 is either mind you) but we will see I suppose.

Another LAD game will definitely happen and hopefully in the next 3 years.

I'd like Kenzan too but just by the language from the studio that's even less unlikely as they said parts of the game would need to be re-written for modern and western audiences which is a shame. It's contradictory though as we know they're going to do more remakes but they have also said they want to do new games going forward lol. If they do Kiwami 3 at least they'll be able to tweak the pacing. I think if they ever do Kiwami 3 then they'll also do Kiwami 4 because they're on the same engine so the arguments would be the same. They already have lots of the assets required for a K4 already in the Dragon Engine like Kamurocho, Akiyama and Saejima, and everything from a K3 could be carried over. Though I'm assuming they'd have to re-cast Tanimura but they apparently already did that for some K1 and K2 characters as well as chopped and changed parts from the original games so there is precedent.

However any future Kiwami remakes would likely mean more Yong-nah lol. Even though I will only ever play in JP audio I don't want him anywhere near the series.

Done 77/78 Kiwami substories and YouTubed the last one. Amon is so damn hard lol. I am sure I will come back to it in the future and try again. Just glad I have played or watched all Y0 and Kiwami substories now.

I will see how many of Kiwami 2 I can get in before FF VII Rebirth next Friday. This has been an interesting ride until now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No amount of not very good Yakuza games could ever make me drop this franchise.

I seriously don't get why Y3 is so polarising... is it the focus on Kiryu stepping further away from the Yakuza?

Regardless, if you've played through 1 and 2 I really can't see someone having such a poor time with 3 that they'd drop the series.

No amount of not very good Yakuza games could ever make me drop this franchise.

This game really needs Kiwami treatment. It's where I got burnt out and stopped playing the series for a few months. When I picked it up again and powered through it and Y4, I was able to get through the rest of the series without feeling as fatigued.

I seriously don't get why Y3 is so polarising... is it the focus on Kiryu stepping further away from the Yakuza?

Regardless, if you've played through 1 and 2 I really can't see someone having such a poor time with 3 that they'd drop the series.
As mentioned above, I don't think it's the story so much, but the dated gameplay. It's pretty rough after playing LAD, Y0, K1 and K2!

As mentioned above, I don't think it's the story so much, but the dated gameplay. It's pretty rough after playing LAD, Y0, K1 and K2!

Man, I have to disagree as someone who has been replaying the series. At most it is a minor step back. I honestly had more frustration with Kiwami on normal.

The blocking is a bit irritating, for sure, but doesn't have as many cheap bosses as the Kiwami games.

I think where a lot of Western fans might not like it a lot is because the remastered version is outdated after playing Y0-2. Y4 and 5 are a lot more modern in comparison, whereas Y3 feels clunky playing it now. The story itself is fine though.

I think where a lot of Western fans might not like it a lot is because the remastered version is outdated after playing Y0-2. Y4 and 5 are a lot more modern in comparison, whereas Y3 feels clunky playing it now. The story itself is fine though.

As above, I find that really overstated. The biggest area it feels a bit lacking in is the minigames, which are definitely underbaked compared to the modern games (i.e. the hostess club which is frankly terrible)

Man, I have to disagree as someone who has been replaying the series. At most it is a minor step back. I honestly had more frustration with Kiwami on normal.

The blocking is a bit irritating, for sure, but doesn't have as many cheap bosses as the Kiwami games.
K1 was pretty s**t for combat, I agree. I have both K1 and Y3 down the bottom end of the Yakuza games.

If they make K3 and have it play like K2, I'd be ok with that (though more likely like Y6 or Gaiden).

RGG have got better at making games so I get how many can find Y3 jarring when going through the newer games and Kiwami remakes as they have improvements from their original too. That makes Y3 the oldest game in the series. I don't think it was as bad as some people have made it out to be but I just think it feels very dated. And by feels I mean just the feeling, I don't think the remaster looks too bad for a game that old. Kiryu had the turning circle of a truck, enemy combat AI is just a little old and annoying and the pacing of the first half of the chapters isn't the greatest IMO. Story wise it's probably one of the most important though and I'm sure if it got Kiwami treatment it would skyrocket to everyone's #1.

If 3 gets Kiwami then so will 4 as they won't leave 4 stranded alone on that ancient engine.

I guess I just don't see the need for Kiwami 3. 1 and 2 absolutely needed a refresh, but 3 and 4 to me really don't need the touch up, IMO.

K1 was pretty s**t for combat, I agree. I have both K1 and Y3 down the bottom end of the Yakuza games.

If they make K3 and have it play like K2, I'd be ok with that (though more likely like Y6 or Gaiden).

K2, 6 and Gaiden is exactly what it would be like as it's the current engine. This is where I think the optimism from fans is coming from because lots of the required assets are already current and ready to go for both K3 and a K4. So if they made those Kiwamis you would have 2, 3, 4, 6, Gaiden, LAD and IW on the same engine with 5, 0 and 1 on the other and the entire series is a lot more consolidated and approachable for new fans on modern systems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back