Gardening

Remove this Banner Ad

I used to use Seedy Lady Seeds. Lots of heirloom examples like black tomatoes and purple carrots. I see there is a warning now about seeds brought into WA through the mail possibly being hit with a quarantine inspection fee of $56. :eek:

I used to use Seedy Lady Seeds. Lots of heirloom examples like black tomatoes and purple carrots. I see there is a warning now about seeds brought into WA through the mail possibly being hit with a quarantine inspection fee of $56. :eek:

They won't pick them up in the 40kg of crystal meth I have got packed into Chris Masten voodoo dolls.

Best nursery/website to buy heritage seeds?

The wife has gone apeshite in the vege garden. Completed a permaculture course already and intends to turn this place into a Viet jungle at the rate she's going.
I have used diggers a few times...they also send small plants

There is an excellent nursery in Guildford on the train line. Also try a place called Whistlepipe...they usually have a stall at Garden Week (coming up soon) and do a couple of open days a year.

Comfrey? Please, please, please find me some comfrey, horsetail or chamomile before my wife does nasty things to my nether regions with chopsticks, or an axe.

Last edited:
Great thread but lack of pictures. I went back and read it all.

I must admit when I first posted in this thread I just did a search and never realised I was on the Freo board. Everybody seems to have been quite welcoming so I guess I'll just keep going.

The tomatoes are doing well but I'm not sure it's the right time of year. If it gets really cold I think I'm going to have to put some plastic up over them. I'd rather be prepared than have my plants die.

The Red Russian Kale from "big hardware warehouse" was covered in aphids when I got it. I think I've got rid of them now by ripping off lots of leaves and blasting the rest with water.

Had a caterpillar munching on one of the new chili plants so I'm going to have to watch out for them too.

The purple potato (good colour hey) in the herb garden is going great guns. All the leaves look very healthy and I'm hoping for a good harvest sometime in the future.

Planted a few sunflower seeds in the corner of the garden. Mainly just for fun, will most likely end up as bird seed for the chicken.

What sort of things are good to plant this time of year? I'm interested in growing leafy greens at the moment.

Great thread but lack of pictures. I went back and read it all.

I must admit when I first posted in this thread I just did a search and never realised I was on the Freo board. Everybody seems to have been quite welcoming so I guess I'll just keep going.

The tomatoes are doing well but I'm not sure it's the right time of year. If it gets really cold I think I'm going to have to put some plastic up over them. I'd rather be prepared than have my plants die.

The Red Russian Kale from "big hardware warehouse" was covered in aphids when I got it. I think I've got rid of them now by ripping off lots of leaves and blasting the rest with water.

Had a caterpillar munching on one of the new chili plants so I'm going to have to watch out for them too.

The purple potato (good colour hey) in the herb garden is going great guns. All the leaves look very healthy and I'm hoping for a good harvest sometime in the future.

Planted a few sunflower seeds in the corner of the garden. Mainly just for fun, will most likely end up as bird seed for the chicken.

What sort of things are good to plant this time of year? I'm interested in growing leafy greens at the moment.

Tomatoes you're a bit late without protection. the purple royal blue potatoes yield less and are more susceptible to disease.

Planting now:
Garlic, onions, lettuce, silverbeet, radish, spinach, peas, broad beans (in the next month), snow peas, chinese veg, all brassicas...Kale , broccoli, cauliflower, brussel Sprouts...

Things not great now: Chilli, capsicum, tomatoes, eggplant

A few years back I've grown cherry tomatoes very well out here in the winter and it gets pretty cold in the wheatbelt. The weird thing is that the last couple of times I've tried in summer got dud crops..

Ideally early Spring planting/early summer harvesting and late summer planting/autumn harvesting

Not Royal Blue Lach72, blue flesh potato.

allblue.jpg

Got no idea how it will go, just experimenting.

Thanks for the advice, might get some spinach and silverbeet in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know that soil you're talking about well. The last hole I dug, I used an electric demolition hammer with a spade attachment. Depth is important, but the width of the hole is more so. I've also heard Sabrina say Chooks can be a problem, because they can damage the fine feeder roots by scratching.

You could try pissing on it occasionally.:D
I left the mandarin tree where it was but dug a large trench around half of it, then filled it up with decent loose soil. A friend said they once moved into a place with a stunted orange tree, a few years later dug a large hole next to it for something unrelated, after it had been filled in the thing took off and grows lots of oranges. Worth trying over digging the whole thing out anyway..

My Red Russian Kale is doing well now.

Made a home made bug spray with ginger, chili and garlic and the aphids seem to be staying away.

Put in some Black Tuscan Kale over the other side today.

The tomato plants copped a battering from the storm a couple days back so I got some bamboo stakes to prop them up.

My Red Russian Kale is doing well now.

Made a home made bug spray with ginger, chili and garlic and the aphids seem to be staying away.

Put in some Black Tuscan Kale over the other side today.

The tomato plants copped a battering from the storm a couple days back so I got some bamboo stakes to prop them up.

Love this stuff.

Kale etc will get hammered in the spring.

Prefer silverbeet. Gone really well this year. Eaten lots of it.

Strange weather patterns and extended heat has seen my figs start to grow again ?

The veg patch that I posted in here many pages ago didn't survive the summer, the weather, namely the harsh, harsh sun blasting down on it all summer without any shade for the entire day wasn't really factored into it when I decided to build it there - rookie mistake.
I really need to plant some Kale and sweet potato though, somewhere else!

Ok here it is. Thought I'd get the ball rolling and share a photo. Hoping others will join in ;)

garden1.jpg

At the front is the Black Pearl chili, behind it is a row of tomato plants, in the middle is Trinidad Scorpion.

Off to the right you can see Tumeric and Galangal with Capsicum and Habanero on their left. Black Tuscan Kale top left with a bunch of Chives that has been chopped right back behind it. Nasturtium Alaska is hidden to the right of that little clump of Chives.

The Red Russian Kale and Mizuna is off the shot to the left and there is Za'atar off the shot in the bottom right.

In the blank spot up the top left is now a Raspberry seedling and some Thai chili.

There is even more chili in there since this shot was taken sometime earlier today. That small channel being dug to the right is to chuck some parsley seed in to see how it goes.

Not sure how everything is going to go together but really just in it for the learning experience right now.

I'm beginning to suspect plants closer to the wall are doing better because they have good drainage.

More photos to follow as things progress.

Capsicum plants didnt produce big sizes for me. Ive just ripped out my 5 plants and dumped the contents in my sink.
agu8ynah.jpg

Have to throw out the smaller ones as they are so bitter.

Sweet potatoes might be on the cards next.

Aren't you Italian Seppo ? What is going on ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aren't you Italian Seppo ? What is going on ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Croation. My dad and grandad were market gardeners, so it's hasnt run to me in the family. :(

Ive got shitty clay soil to work with and probably planted these at the wong time of year. I should PH test the soil though. Everything is struggling exvept for a strawberry bush I planted when I first moved into my place.

My Nasturtium flowered today. Got a nice orange flower.

My Black Cherry Tomato is over a metre tall now. Not bad for a few weeks. I'm less worried they won't survive the winter now. If they get mangled by frost so bit it, I'll put it down to a learning experience. Got a few little yellow flowers around the place.

The Raspberry is now hidden behind the big tomato plants and seems to be doing well.

The Purslane is going well in a pot. Getting some little yellow flowers now. I think it might have been a good call not putting it in the main garden bed as it does seem to want to spread out.

Put in some Rainbow Silverbeet about a week ago and it is going really slow but looks healthy. I'm guessing it will take off soon enough.

I'll probably post an updated pic in about a week.

I don't think I ever shared what I eventually discovered was eating my seedlings etc in Canberra last year before I left.

I spent two years trying to figure out what was eating all the young plants and tips of new buds. At first I figured it was snails and slugs so put copious amounts of pellets down but never found any dead ones in the vicinity. So I discounted them. Then I thought it was the little ducking finches that are everywhere because it appeared to be little bites and they were in the shape of a finch's' beak. So I put some chicken wire over to stop them but that didn't work either.

This is about 18 months of anguish and annoyance and lots of dollars spent.

Then I was at a neighbours for a BBQ... and to set the scene, in Canberra the electricity lines are in your back yard and follow the fence line. Very neat for the front of your house. There we were enjoying a beer and a family of possums walked by on the power lines. Cripes I say. Look at that. My neighbour says... yeah the little bigger eat everything I plant. They climb along the lines and down the pole into my vege patch and devour everything.

I then had a light bulb moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back