Past Garry 'Flea' Wilson (1971-1984)

Remove this Banner Ad

Did he have any sons? If they played, they would be past draft age by now looking at the time period he played and retired it seems. Its a shame we didn't get many father/son prospects (except traitor Murphy) out of the players who played in that era because it does seem like they were very good players in their own right. Hopefully some of Paul Roos boys decide in our favour.

From the above article:

"Wilson and his wife Roslyn have two adult children, Lee and Shaun."

Link ....

garrywilson.jpg

Mike Sheahan presents the Herald Player of the Year Award for 1980 to Fitzroy's Garry Wilson.

AFL Record 1981
Round 2, page 18

Fitzroy rover, Garry Wilson last week relished his new role as captain picking up his usual swag of possessions against Collingwood. Wilson, 27, is regarded as one of the VFL's most skillful players. Wilson has played 192 games with the Lions and is a regular Victorian representative.

6959933653_0701342754.jpg

Courageous rovers reach milestones
AFL Record
1981, round 11, page 36

Wilson, the Fitzroy captain, will play his 200th game and Ashman will play his 150th game. Wilson's career has been interrrupted by a series of heavy knocks to the head and now wears a head-guard. A brilliant and consistent kick-winner he was runner-up to the Brownlow medallist, Peter Moore in 1979 and third to Malcolm Blight in 1978. Wilson, 27, was appointed Fitzroy captain this year.

6960073207_55e27baa1a.jpg

Little Lion Roars and Bombers Wilt
AFL Record
1981, Special Edition, page 33

Wilson had drawn his opposers over the past couple of years with theories that he plays the ball for the benefit of one person, himself. Much of the back-biting emanated from his strong-willed fight for a more financially favorable contract with the club at the start of the 1979 season and partly from his particularly individualist style of kick-winning. And subsequently the howls of protest rose even louder at the Junction Oval when he was appointed captain for the first time this year.

But if ever there was an example of a fellow placing his team's immediate future ahead of his own physical well-being then Wilson produced it in that tense final quarter against Essendon.

Brisbane Lions cement present with Fitzroy past in Hall of Fame
  • by: Mark Robinson
  • March 07, 2012 12:00AM
NOT everyone remembers the legends of Fitzroy. At the Gabba in 2002 for the first Test between Australia and England, Fitzroy greats Bernie Quinlan and Garry Wilson arrived at reception to catch up with then Brisbane Lions football manager, old Royboy Graeme Allan. Wilson, a five-time Fitzroy best-and-fairest winner, said to the receptionist: "Bernie Quinlan and Garry Wilson to see 'Gubby' Allan." She said: "Who?"
And Wilson, mightily proud, pointed to a large photograph in the foyer and said: "There we are there."
Receptionists may not remember them, but the Lions as a football club have never forgotten them. It's why the club yesterday further cemented its present with its past when it announced its inaugural Hall of Fame celebration to be held on June 23 - in Melbourne. Wilson would be an automatic selection.

6960112169_4ea4e26128.jpg

it would be a traversity of justice if gary wilson was no included in the first inductees of the brisbane lions new hall of fame.

imo he should be marginally below bunton, murray & roos as the greatest ever

I agree Gary Wilson was one of Fitzroys greatest he provided us old Fitzroy/lions supporters life long memories of some unbelievable footy this was a guy who i think could play the modern game today and dominate it as he dominated it in the mid and late70s supreme running machine huge engine unbelievable courage and knew how to kick a goal champion player and a champion person very unlucky not to win a Brownlow.

With helmets, it's personal
6:06 PM Fri 09 Mar, 2012

Speaking from experience at the launch of the Brisbane Lions' Hall of Fame last week in Melbourne, Wilson said that helmets were probably more suited to players susceptible to concussions, rather than facial fractures.

"I think it's an individual thing. But if you had a preference, you wouldn't wear one," Wilson said.

"I wore one at the suggestion of our doctor at the time, Dr John Fraser, after having probably five or six really severe concussions, and another 15-20 cases of blurred vision."

"I had certainly developed a weakness to what I thought were reasonably light knocks."

"I played for 14 years and wore a helmet for the last four. So I still played 10 years without a helmet."

Blast from the Past
2:26 PM Wed 04 Apr, 2012

What are some of your fondest memories from your playing days with Fitzroy?

I started in 1971 and when I arrived at the Club, “Mr Fitzroy” Kevin Murray was Captain and I got to play with him for four years. In 1978 we started to have some success. We won the Night Premiership against North Melbourne - who were the day Premiers that year - and made the Finals in 1979 and regularly in the early 80s. Throughout the latter part of my career we had a great win/loss ratio and I played in seven Finals. I played in some good sides and some not-so-good sides.

How about the Brisbane Lions, do you maintain a connection with the Club?

Yes, I still take a keen interest in how the Lions are going. I also used to play with Jonathan’s dad Brian Brown so there’s a good connection there.

garrywilson.jpg

there is a flaw in the brownlow medal voting system when guys like gary wilson go through a whole career & not win one. Not only should he have won a brownlow medal, he should have been a multiple winner.

when you consider some who have won brownlow medals you have to scratch your head and ask how did they win one, they were not a patch on the likes of gary wilson, only strengthens the arguement imo that the system is flawed.

gary wilson epitomises everything that was fitzroy, the young bucks of today would do well to carry some of those qualities with them into the present day, and make their time with brisbane as memorable & as lasting as the likes of gary wilson have in past days

Retrogram delves into the News Limited Archives to uncover some of the most underrated footballers of all time

2. GARRY WILSON (FITZROY)
When the conversation turns to the greatest rovers of the post-war era, it is staggering that Wilson’s name does not come up often enough. ‘’The Flea’’ was a remarkable player: courageous, skilful, balanced and a fine mark for his size. When he wasn’t delivering passes lace-out to a Bernie Quinlan lead, he was finding ways to kick goals himself. Wilson kicked 452 career goals from his 268 games, which is up there with great forwards such as Dermott Brereton and Robert Walls. His average of 1.7 goals a game is superior to the likes of Alex Jesaulenko, Brent Harvey and Dick Reynolds.
786039-e0d615a6-2ced-11e4-a978-2255e0b773c2.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As young bloke I idolised Gary Wilson and Bobby Skilton and saw a lot of both (half the family barracked for the Swans). Hard to fathom how Flea didn't win a couple of Brownlows.

As young bloke I idolised Gary Wilson and Bobby Skilton and saw a lot of both (half the family barracked for the Swans). Hard to fathom how Flea didn't win a couple of Brownlows.

tell ya what mate, he's in good nick. i mean yes wrinkles on face due to age, but lean and had all his faculties about him

I know I've mentioned this story before so forgive me for repeating it one more time. I remember Wilson with the ball, on the boundary & surounded by opposition players with nowhere to go. He then did something I had never seen before. He deliberately handballed to the opposing player and then grabbed him. Wilson got the free kick. How's that for quick thinking. He was years ahead of his time and would have been a sensation playing today.

Agree - Absolutely brilliant

Garry Wilson: The Legend

Nominating the best of anything is a terribly imprecise science always skewed by individual circumstance and personal bias. Usually there’s no definitive outcome. No categorically right answer.

Yet a prominent Fitzroy player of the 1980’s recently said of Garry Wilson there were none better in the AFL in his era.

He sat comfortably alongside anyone in the game during his 14 fabulous years at Fitzroy from 1971-84, said his long-time teammate.

Of that, there can be no debate.

As courageous and competitive as any player in history, far, far ahead of his time in professionalism, the pocket-sized rover from Preston Swimmers was truly an extraordinary player.

Known simply as ‘Flea’ and recognised by his trademark helmet, he played 268 games and kicked 452 goals for his beloved Lions, ranking third all-time in both categories.

He averaged 25 possessions and 1.7 goals per game, and kicked 30 goals or more in a season nine times - as a rover.

He won the club B&F five times in 1972-76-78-89-80, was leading goal-kicker twice in 1972-73, and was club captain from 1981-84.

He represented Victoria 12 times, was All-Australian in 1979-80, and was named vice-captain of the Fitzroy Team of the Century.

He was third in the Brownlow Medal in 1978, two votes behind Malcolm Blight and one vote behind Peter Knights, and second in 1979, one vote behind Peter Moore.

Five times he finished top 10 in the game’s highest individual honor, polling 161 career votes to rank 17th all-time.

All staggering numbers they are. But more staggering, still, are the numbers from his prime.

In 106 games from 1976-80 he averaged 28.5 possessions and the same 1.7 goals per game. He topped 30 possessions 58 times, or better than every second time he pulled on the boots. And he polled the equivalent of 75 Brownlow votes today. Or three votes every four games.

Yes, indeed, there were no better.

Inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame in 1999, he was an inaugural member of the Brisbane Lions Hall of Fame in 2012, when Kevin Murray and Haydn Bunton were awarded Legend status.

In 2014 Michael Voss received the same very special honor, and tonight we welcome another member of this truly exclusive club. A football masterpiece and one of the game’s great gentlemen, the fourth Legend in the Brisbane Lions Hall of Fame… GARRY WILSON

GWilsonarticle2016.jpg

http://www.lions.com.au/video/2016-06-25/legend-garry-wilson

That highlight package is killer. Skill and balance like Simon Black, but pacy and graceful like Peter Matera. Garry is probably my all-time favourite player. I was a skinny kid when he was at his peak, so to see a scrupulously fair, courageous, reedy rover cutting a swathe through bigger, heavier, more brutal opposition midfields still looms large in memory today.

Deserved a Brownlow in 79. Moore was a great footballer, but Wilson turned games and lead his team into a final series for the first time in more than a decade.

Met him a couple of times. Was taller than I expected.

http://www.lions.com.au/video/2016-06-25/legend-garry-wilson

That highlight package is killer. Skill and balance like Simon Black, but pacy and graceful like Peter Matera. Garry is probably my all-time favourite player. I was a skinny kid when he was at his peak, so to see a scrupulously fair, courageous, reedy rover cutting a swathe through bigger, heavier, more brutal opposition midfields still looms large in memory today.

Deserved a Brownlow in 79. Moore was a great footballer, but Wilson turned games and lead his team into a final series for the first time in more than a decade.

Met him a couple of times. Was taller than I expected.
Also a brilliant high mark, I saw him kick 2 seemingly im possible goals from the boundary in his first or almost first game at the Junction against Melbourne ,on his wrong foot,torpedoes and set shots.After the first I thought,he won't do that again and of course he did both about 40to45 out.Always could make the impossible seem natural,and a phenomenal trainer.

Also a brilliant high mark, I saw him kick 2 seemingly im possible goals from the boundary in his first or almost first game at the Junction against Melbourne ,on his wrong foot,torpedoes and set shots.After the first I thought,he won't do that again and of course he did both about 40to45 out.Always could make the impossible seem natural,and a phenomenal trainer.

So, using his non-preferred foot to let the torpedo's natural curve bring it around?

In Garry's three peak years, he was a mile ahead of the comp in average possessions.

VFL leading disposals 1978

VFL leading disposals 1979

VFL leading disposals 1980

I reckon he won the Cazaly Award in about 78 that the Truth used to give out too.
IMG_7942.640x640_640.jpg

I love the fact he came from a club called 'Preston Swimmers' too, that apparently played behind the old pool. They used to play against Preston Scouts, Preston Presbyterians (missed opportunity there for 'Prestonterians'), West Preston Boys, Preston Boys and East Preston back the day. Liked their footy in Preston.

I reckon he won the Cazaly Award in about 78 that the Truth used to give out too.
IMG_7942.640x640_640.jpg

I love the fact he came from a club called 'Preston Swimmers' too, that apparently played behind the old pool. They used to play against Preston Scouts, Preston Presbyterians (missed opportunity there for 'Prestonterians'), West Preston Boys, Preston Boys and East Preston back the day. Liked their footy in Preston.
My brother is a Preston Swimmers old boy. They were defunct by the time I was old enough to know any different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back