Gary Ablett Jnr - is he remembered as a Cat or Sun?

How is Gary Ablett Jnr remembered?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think they would worry about it, they would put all their energy into making themselves and those around them better. Not sure if you've played sport at an elite level, but you're certainly not thinking about trophies through preseason or during the year, you're just thinking about what you need to improve and who you're playing that week.

Fair enough, but I just heard J Riewoldt say he wants to play on to get a 4th flag and doesn’t care about anything else even taking a pay cut. Danger was also acting desperate for a flag and when he finally got it he said it’s the best feeling ever. I think we are both right.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Fair enough, but I just heard J Riewoldt say he wants to play on to get a 4th flag and doesn’t care about anything else even taking a pay cut. Danger was also acting desperate for a flag and when he finally got it he said it’s the best feeling ever. I think we are both right.

Exactly, it would be a great feeling and very rewarding. But it doesn't change the level of their footballing ability.

Probably played his best footy at the Suns, but so he should've as he was 26 when he went there was therefore entering the prime period of his career age-wise.

Likewise, Dangerfield and Lynch have probably played their best footy at Geelong and Richmond respectively, but were also both 26 when they moved, so should've been at the optimal age for peak footy at their new clubs.

Probably played his best footy at the Suns, but so he should've as he was 26 when he went there was therefore entering the prime period of his career age-wise.

Likewise, Dangerfield and Lynch have probably played their best footy at Geelong and Richmond respectively, but were also both 26 when they moved, so should've been at the optimal age for peak footy at their new clubs.
And?

So GAS is zero?
fun reeling in GIF by Winkelman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everybody has a stain, Richo doesn’t have an excuse either. It’s a fact, they failed the main objective in playing AFL in the first place. They would be the first ones to tell you that. Nick Riewoldt still hasn’t gotten over it.
Not much more they can do if the team isn’t up to it, it’s a stain on the club, not one individual’s entire career and I strongly doubt any of their clubs think this or that player has a stained career because of it, only you.

What a low and cowardly way to single players out and degrade them. :$

Saying Gary Jr is remembered as a Sun is like saying Gary Sr is remembered as a Hawk. No one thinks of Gold Coast or Hawthorn when they hear the name Gary Ablett. They always think of Geelong first and foremost.

Saying Gary Jr is remembered as a Sun is like saying Gary Sr is remembered as a Hawk. No one thinks of Gold Coast or Hawthorn when they hear the name Gary Ablett. They always think of Geelong first and foremost.

The thing is though he played his best football at the Suns. Snr did not play his best football at Hawthorn so the argument is not quite as cut and dry. There is definitely more room for debate.

The thing is though he played his best football at the Suns. Snr did not play his best football at Hawthorn so the argument is not quite as cut and dry. There is definitely more room for debate.
No he didn't

Not much more they can do if the team isn’t up to it, it’s a stain on the club, not one individual’s entire career and I strongly doubt any of their clubs think this or that player has a stained career because of it, only you.

What a low and cowardly way to single players out and degrade them. :$
We could make up a team of absolute champions of the game who never played in a premiership team due to circumstances beyond their control, e.g., being drafted/recruited when the team was rock bottom. To suggest any of these players careers were stained or that the individuals are not worthy of being remembered as champions is unfair.

Off the top of my head (and no doubt I have o0verlooked many worthy players) here is a team of champions who never played in a premiership team:

B: R Laird - B Rutten - T Barker
HB: C Grant - M Pavlich - K Hinkley
C: R Flower - P Couch - S West
HF: N Buckley - N Riewoldt - G Ablett
F: M Richardson - T Lockett - E Betts
R: J Stynes - R Harvey - G Wilson
I/C: G Hocking - G Lyon - D Hawkins - N Winmar

I’d say the above forward line would be difficult to top with any premiership line-up

Last edited:
Everybody has a stain, Richo doesn’t have an excuse either. It’s a fact, they failed the main objective in playing AFL in the first place. They would be the first ones to tell you that. Nick Riewoldt still hasn’t gotten over it.

Have you lobbied RFC to remove Matthew Richardson from its Team of the Century?

We could make up a team of absolute champions of the game who never played in a premiership team due to circumstances beyond their control, e.g., being drafted/recruited when the team was rock bottom. To suggest any of these players careers were stained or that the individuals are not worthy of being remembered as champions is unfair.

Off the top of my head (and no doubt I have o0verlooked many worthy players) here is a team of champions who never played in a premiership team:

B: R Laird - B Rutten - T Barker
HB: C Grant - M Pavlich - K Hinkley
C: R Flower - P Couch - S West
HF: N Buckley - N Riewoldt - G Ablett
F: M Richardson - T Lockett - E Betts
R: J Stynes - R Harvey - G Wilson
I/C: G Hocking - G Lyon - D Hawkins - J Kennedy (WCE)

I’d say the above forward line would be difficult to top with any premiership line-up
Wrong, try again

Back