Gary Rohan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse the intrusion, but coming from a sports med background there is possibly truth in both of these statements.

I haven't worked with Gary (but other high profile athletes with similar concerns) and have seen cases where it has been an ongoing issue, but also cases where the removal has meant huge improvements in output.

Is that vague enough?

I guess the bottom line is the medical staff would be looking very closely at whether there is nerve damage that can't be reversed, or whether there is a good result at the end.

Either way, he is a great talent, and hopefully a young kid like him can be back to his dream fulfilling best.
More of a pinch isn't it? I've had some breaks, fractures and bruising and what not, nothing that required metal inserts, but any nerve pain would surely be from some sort of impact shock or pinching.

More of a pinch isn't it? I've had some breaks, fractures and bruising and what not, nothing that required metal inserts, but any nerve pain would surely be from some sort of impact shock or pinching.

Often it is.

There is some settling involved that can lead to a pinch sorting itself out. Hopefully thats the case and all is well.

That's really great to hear about Rohan.

A missing piece of the puzzle for us.

Gary put in an honest effort against the Eagles at Subiaco in greasy conditions. He did all those 1% type things, but playing up forward he was pushed off the contest quite a lot.

I'm not convinced that up forward is his go, but then again he isn't accountable enough (yet) to take on midfield or defence.

If we believe in him, we'll just have to keep selecting him and see if he grows in confidence. Would be useful at finals time.

He's a difficult one. His upside, his likeable character, his relentless workrate and the fact he's still overcoming an injury make it really difficult to criticise the guy and I almost feel as though I'm being harsh when I question his place in our best 22, but he simply isn't having enough impact to continue justifying selection each week. Particularly ahead of guys who are performing so well and so consistently in the reserves.

I've reset my expectations of him as a player this year, but I still think he'll solidify a spot somewhere in the side and be a good player for us in the coming years. Just no idea where it will be.

If we believe in him, we'll just have to keep selecting him and see if he grows in confidence. Would be useful at finals time.
I guess it comes down to whether you'd rather pick someone on faith and hope of performances sometime in the future, or reward the effort of the players actually in good form right now.

The fact there are reserves in better form is beyond dispute.

How did you guys see him pre injury? Were you expecting a solid and consistent contributor, or more an impact match winner type?

I see elements of both, but I think that now he needs to find a new niche in the team. Just not sure exactly what that will be.

Bloody hope he makes it though.

How did you guys see him pre injury? Were you expecting a solid and consistent contributor, or more an impact match winner type?

I see elements of both, but I think that now he needs to find a new niche in the team. Just not sure exactly what that will be.

Bloody hope he makes it though.

He's never really racked up big numbers at any level of the game so I think he was always going to be an impact type player.

Defensively he's a great 4 quarter contributor, but offensively he's prone to going missing for large patches of a game.

Rohan needs time. He is in the team for speed, so you can see him playing along side Harry and Lewis through the midfield and wing next year.

He has had poor luck with injury, so his role has been restricted to the forward line, where his KPIs are i50 tackles and pressure. Get his fitness up, and his body work against bigger guys to improve with game time and confidence, and I think Rohan can add a lot to our team.

Glass half full kinda guy.

Rohan needs time.
Then give him time, there are other players who are in better form right now.
He has had poor luck with injury, so his role has been restricted to the forward line, where his KPIs are i50 tackles and pressure.
Exactly what he was doing before the injury and in junior football as well.

Then give him time, there are other players who are in better form right now.

Exactly what he was doing before the injury and in junior football as well.

Sure, it's possible that Rohan is keeping someone like Membrey out of the team, but I'm pretty sure he slept with Horse's missus.

All i'm saying is it's hard to judge him on limited opportunity this year, between playing in the ressies, being injured, or being sub. I can see his upside, just hope he reaches it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His game yesterday was one of the best I've seen him play since his return from his injuries
yes still a few things to work on but he's going to get there

everytime i talk to him before he plays a senior game all he says is "I hope i play well I want to play well"
Confidence is his key and again like i said once that Rod is out he's really going to get it back and hopefully find some form

I like all of you only want the best from Gaz
and i know he's doing everything he can to do it

He had the ball on the fifty yesterday and elected to pass to buddy in a one on one with Mckenzie. He should have just backed himself to kick goal. Once his confidence returns he could be huge for us in finals with his pace especially against freo.

loved it when he ran onto the loose ball kicked long towards goal he was 5m behind his opponent and ended up 5m in front of him however unlucky it bounced through for a behind, he is still very quick if he got to that I think we would be singing his praises a little more, and yeah nailed the shot as mentioned above by brad cooper

I like him. I feel like he'll play a lot like Jetta in '12 or will become some form of small forward. He needs some confidence but a game every few weeks when we need some more run and less height like against West Coast, perfect time to play him until he is ready.

I'm thinking midfield tagger might be his go. Got endurance, high speed and a fierce tackle.

Looks lost as a forward and if he is going to be a back flanker then he needs to prove himself at NEAFL level against the better sides.

Too much of a talent to give up on or trade, just needs to be found a role he can concentrate on.

I'm thinking midfield tagger might be his go. Got endurance, high speed and a fierce tackle.

Looks lost as a forward and if he is going to be a back flanker then he needs to prove himself at NEAFL level against the better sides.

Too much of a talent to give up on or trade, just needs to be found a role he can concentrate on.
How's this for an idea: he proves himself better than other players in a position, then he gets that spot. And until then, he doesn't. I think this is overwhelmingly fair.

How's this for an idea: he proves himself better than other players in a position, then he gets that spot. And until then, he doesn't. I think this is overwhelmingly fair.

Crazy talk

If we recall the final of the GF sprint last year in which Gary got soundly beaten into second place. He pulled up short and way before the line, I knew he at near his best had it covered and would win quite easily ... yes he is that fast. He pulled up short and I could tell that he could feel something in that leg. Was surprised he was even running but the heat and then a quick back up took it's toll.

I was at the game last weekend v Eagles and I saw as he raised that leg and hopped away, just for a bit but it's very obvious that he does have troubles ... kinda dispels that it's only rumours when you see it with your own eyes.

I'm a huge fan of Gary and for him to be even playing is amazing but for him to be playing with the pain that he must have is unimaginable. He is gonna be a special player when all his leg woes get sorted out. The guy can seriously run as we all know but he at his best is by far'n'away the fastest in the competition.

Last edited:
If we recall the final of the GF sprint last year in which Gary got soundly beaten into second place. He pulled up short and way before the line, I knew he at near his best had it covered and would win quite easily ... yes he is that fast.

hes likeable, he tries hard he has shown ability, i want to see a first rounder succeed especially a top 10 pick

but he needs to have a massive performance if he is any chance to stay in the side going forward.

He is lucky to of gotten a game in the seniors

whoops, that's what happens when you stay awake drinking Jacks and talkin' shyte on the computer ..

Still he's better than that and there was no way he was stretching out ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back