Fixture Gather Round - SA announced as host for next 3 years 2024-2026

Remove this Banner Ad

GATHER ROUND SOUTH AUSTRALIA
AFL LOCKS IN SA FOR NEXT THREE SEASONS

The AFL in partnership with the SA Government is pleased to announce ‘Gather Round…. A Festival of Footy’ will be hosted in South Australia for the next three seasons.

The inaugural ‘Gather Round’ has been an overwhelming success, with all nine games sold out, more than 220,000 fans attending matches across the Adelaide Oval, Norwood Oval and Mount Barker in the Adelaide Hills and tens of thousands of fans attending the footy festival on the banks of Torrens.

More than 60,000 fans purchased tickets from interstate.

Across 2024, 2025 and 2026, Gather Round …. A festival of footy will be hosted exclusively in South Australia, with Adelaide Oval to be the central venue, with the intent from both the AFL and the SA Government to take regional matches in 2024 to the Barossa / McClaren Vale region.

As part of the three-year term, both the AFL and SA Government have also committed to establishing a community football legacy fund, that will benefit local footy clubs in the state beyond the weekend of matches.

The AFL will lock in the fixture dates of the round in the coming weeks to give fans as much lead time as possible to book travel and accommodation.

Ticketing information will be release later in the year.

“South Australia really turned it on. Gather Round and all the activity across the state, the nine matches, the footy festival and the community football engagement has been some of the best days and events the AFL has ever delivered,” AFL Chief Executive Gillon McLachlan said.

“It has been a success because everyone in football got behind the idea, clubs, players, corporate partners and most importantly our fans, to deliver an extraordinary few days,

“While the concept has real momentum, and we plan on taking it to other states around the country, we also feel in order for it to be as successful in the other states we need to continue to build out the concept in South Australia,

“The reality is we only had a few months to pull this together, and we hope by locking it in now we are giving everyone a longer runway to put together a bigger and even better event, and our fans certainty around booking travel and accommodation.

“The match at Mount Barker was a special afternoon on Saturday and an important part of recommitting to South Australia was to establish the community legacy fund, ensuring local footy clubs’ benefit from bringing the Gather Round to town.”

During the round the AFL has facilitated dozens of community club and school visits, held seminars for community club volunteers and delivered more than 10,000 footballs to regional community clubs.

Details on the Community legacy fund will be communicated at a later date.

“On behalf of the AFL I want to thank to Premier Malinauskas and his team in the SA Government who in partnership, delivered an unbelievable few days for footy and the state of South Australia.”

The AFL will also work with the AFLPA on the commitments to the players.

“The players have been strong partners in the Gather Round concept and have embraced wholeheartedly the round. We will now work with the AFLPA on the commitments to the players in the coming years.”

SA Premier Peter Malinauskas said “The inaugural Gather Round has been a stunning success, in no small part thanks to the willingness of South Australians, and our interstate visitors, to show up.
“We know that this has delivered huge benefits for our state, and that is why I’m so pleased to see it return for the next three years.”

“With more time to plan, we know we can make Gather Round even bigger and better than what it has already become.”

“I want to thank Gillon McLachlan, the AFL, wider footballing community, public servants, councils and others who’ve all worked so hard to deliver such an amazing event in just a few months.”

“But most of all, I want to thank each and every person who showed up.”

“This agreement is because of you.”

-ends-

Last edited by a moderator:
And Carlton shouldn't have been given a soft draw with the best commercial reach every year when they've been a laughing stock for 20 years.... But here we are.

They’ve given us an extra away game because we can handle it. The big clubs are trodden on and stolen from so those created 27 years ago can benefit.

This will be a success, mostly sold out crowds, bringing the game to different areas, a heap of tourism boosting the economy for a weekend in those states/regions.

I like the idea. Be interesting to see if they persist with SA or if they also trial it in WA, QLD, etc.

I wouldn't feel the need to do it in VIC for a while, there's already enough footy here week in week out, and already 10 VIC based teams. Maximise the novelty and attendance in other states that only really regularly see 2 teams.

I thought when the idea was conceived that it would alternate between States each year. Whilst I do think that it wouldn’t have the same appeal in Vic, if Vic is excluded then I imagine some clubs will arm up about fixturing and it being an additional away game etc. Perhaps the solution then is to have the resident home teams (e.g. Freo and West Coast if it was done in WA) play each other and therefore all other games are basically on neutral ground.

I thought when the idea was conceived that it would alternate between States each year. Whilst I do think that it wouldn’t have the same appeal in Vic, if Vic is excluded then I imagine some clubs will arm up about fixturing and it being an additional away game etc. Perhaps the solution then is to have the resident home teams (e.g. Freo and West Coast if it was done in WA) play each other and therefore all other games are basically on neutral ground.
Yep.

Or as compensation Victoria can have the grand final every year as well as a stranglehold on Friday night fixtures.

The other Norwood game.

Gold coast have no fans, and you can't reasonbly drive to Adelaide from Perth. Not much in it for Fremantle fans who can just pick one of the other 10 away games to travel and see.
From what Norwood had told me there is probably only 1-2k tickets remaining for Freo v Suns and with some sales today I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up being sold out or close to it.
Richmond v Swans might struggle to sell out but I’d suspect they will get close to 40k there which is more than most Swans home games would get

Sydney/Richmond. I think whichever neutral match up was going to struggle.

The other is Giants/Hawks at Norwood.

Giants have no fans, Hawks already have Tasmania as a holiday destination and Norwood is bigger than you think.
Hawks sold out (15k). We have big support in SA. GC v Freo will be small. Poor fixturing. Tigers v Swans will be around 30k - the are hopefully to get 37k but not there yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said no one ever.
875-max

1681345641774.png

I remember chatting with George Harrison there! He loved walking around without being hassled.

Ch7 advertising it as the first time all teams have played in one state in the same round.

They seem to have forgotten Covid.
No they haven't

Sure, most games went to Queensland, however, each and every week had at least 1 game elsewhere.

The last time all games in one home and away round were played in the same state was Rd 22 1986

In regards to the Freo discussion.

It is bullshit the timeslot they're in.

I think this is more a symptom of the greater schedule though.

Freo played here last Saturday, so would've stayed here for the week (which is what West Coast will do next week............Which is quite smart scheduling from the AFL to reduce their travel)

And to reduce time spent here, they put Freo as early as possible (And West Coast as late as possible)

The AFL is trying to do right by the teams and players.

It just happens to screw over Freo's fans drastically.

Probably should've switched Freo-Gold Coast with Brisbane-North Melbourne.

Making that change right there alleviates MOST issues with the round. (The only*issue remaining is the time slot, but you've alleviates the major issue with it (having a Perth side in it))

The complaining RE: Adelaide/Port hosting Victorian teams is just pure hypocrisy from entitled fans. They can *** off.

Adelaide got huge crowds for AFLW so was always the safest bet for this concept
Well, we got 5k mid covid to Hawthorn-Essendon 4:10 on a Thursday while Richmond-Adelaide could only get 4k with little to no covid issues in Sydney at 2:10 on a Sunday (That same round got 30k to the SCG. - So I guess no crowd restrictions?)

Carlton should play the local team every year in the gather round so we can enjoy the melts from the fans that they're so hard done by.
We are more than happy to be recognised as a huge drawing team that has helped set this Gather round on the way to success. We would be more than happy to use our great brand recognition to help facilitate this every year.

Feels a bit like the football world is returning to how it should be.

Maybe your club could aspire to be like ours and help clubs achieve more success like we have with round 1, kangaroos on good Friday, gather round and kings birthday eve v the bombers.

The extra away or home game is OK with me so long as this is rotated yearly - and includes Victoria but probs last.

There are already heaps of inequities in the fixture that benefit certain clubs fro time to time and there is no move to make it fairer anyway.

The extra away or home game is OK with me so long as this is rotated yearly - and includes Victoria but probs last.

There are already heaps of inequities in the fixture that benefit certain clubs fro time to time and there is no move to make it fairer anyway.
Im not sure gather round would work in Melbourne.

You already have a psuedo Gather round every bloody week (Rd 1 had 12 teams in town!!)

Plus, an underplayed aspect to it's success is it's pricing.

Look at Rd 6 - The cheapest reserved seating at Adelaide oval is $70. This compared to $45 for the MCG. (Ah, the one advantage of oversaturation, and oversupply vs demand with the MCG)

The gather round concept in Melbourne is just another week.

But elsewhere, it creates the atmosphere Melbourne has every week, AT HALF PRICE TICKETS.

Perth has it's drawbacks (It's so far out of the way, with flights double the price as to Adelaide) it could be too expensive.

SEQ has it's drawbacks (2 different cities, could defeat the purpose altogether. Travel between 2 cities too far etc.)

Best city to host it is Sydney, IF THE FANS TRAVEL - Which is the advantage of Adelaide. There's enough locals to mask the cracks if it is a failure. But Adelaide, or even Brisbane (But I feel that might have to wait until post Olympics)

That last Gather Round had Craig Bradley kicks 6 goals and Warren Ralph 5.
Hoping for something similar this one.
Please tell me Warren's nickname was Wreck It Ralph

In regards to the Freo discussion.

It is bullshit the timeslot they're in.

I think this is more a symptom of the greater schedule though.

Freo played here last Saturday, so would've stayed here for the week (which is what West Coast will do next week............Which is quite smart scheduling from the AFL to reduce their travel)

And to reduce time spent here, they put Freo as early as possible (And West Coast as late as possible)

The AFL is trying to do right by the teams and players.

It just happens to screw over Freo's fans drastically.

Probably should've switched Freo-Gold Coast with Brisbane-North Melbourne.

Making that change right there alleviates MOST issues with the round. (The only*issue remaining is the time slot, but you've alleviates the major issue with it (having a Perth side in it))

The complaining RE: Adelaide/Port hosting Victorian teams is just pure hypocrisy from entitled fans. They can *** off.
Well this Freo fan thinks that the time slot is just dandy with the weather forecast at the moment as he probably won't get a wet arse until late in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back