Fixture Gather Round - SA announced as host for next 3 years 2024-2026

Remove this Banner Ad

GATHER ROUND SOUTH AUSTRALIA
AFL LOCKS IN SA FOR NEXT THREE SEASONS

The AFL in partnership with the SA Government is pleased to announce ‘Gather Round…. A Festival of Footy’ will be hosted in South Australia for the next three seasons.

The inaugural ‘Gather Round’ has been an overwhelming success, with all nine games sold out, more than 220,000 fans attending matches across the Adelaide Oval, Norwood Oval and Mount Barker in the Adelaide Hills and tens of thousands of fans attending the footy festival on the banks of Torrens.

More than 60,000 fans purchased tickets from interstate.

Across 2024, 2025 and 2026, Gather Round …. A festival of footy will be hosted exclusively in South Australia, with Adelaide Oval to be the central venue, with the intent from both the AFL and the SA Government to take regional matches in 2024 to the Barossa / McClaren Vale region.

As part of the three-year term, both the AFL and SA Government have also committed to establishing a community football legacy fund, that will benefit local footy clubs in the state beyond the weekend of matches.

The AFL will lock in the fixture dates of the round in the coming weeks to give fans as much lead time as possible to book travel and accommodation.

Ticketing information will be release later in the year.

“South Australia really turned it on. Gather Round and all the activity across the state, the nine matches, the footy festival and the community football engagement has been some of the best days and events the AFL has ever delivered,” AFL Chief Executive Gillon McLachlan said.

“It has been a success because everyone in football got behind the idea, clubs, players, corporate partners and most importantly our fans, to deliver an extraordinary few days,

“While the concept has real momentum, and we plan on taking it to other states around the country, we also feel in order for it to be as successful in the other states we need to continue to build out the concept in South Australia,

“The reality is we only had a few months to pull this together, and we hope by locking it in now we are giving everyone a longer runway to put together a bigger and even better event, and our fans certainty around booking travel and accommodation.

“The match at Mount Barker was a special afternoon on Saturday and an important part of recommitting to South Australia was to establish the community legacy fund, ensuring local footy clubs’ benefit from bringing the Gather Round to town.”

During the round the AFL has facilitated dozens of community club and school visits, held seminars for community club volunteers and delivered more than 10,000 footballs to regional community clubs.

Details on the Community legacy fund will be communicated at a later date.

“On behalf of the AFL I want to thank to Premier Malinauskas and his team in the SA Government who in partnership, delivered an unbelievable few days for footy and the state of South Australia.”

The AFL will also work with the AFLPA on the commitments to the players.

“The players have been strong partners in the Gather Round concept and have embraced wholeheartedly the round. We will now work with the AFLPA on the commitments to the players in the coming years.”

SA Premier Peter Malinauskas said “The inaugural Gather Round has been a stunning success, in no small part thanks to the willingness of South Australians, and our interstate visitors, to show up.
“We know that this has delivered huge benefits for our state, and that is why I’m so pleased to see it return for the next three years.”

“With more time to plan, we know we can make Gather Round even bigger and better than what it has already become.”

“I want to thank Gillon McLachlan, the AFL, wider footballing community, public servants, councils and others who’ve all worked so hard to deliver such an amazing event in just a few months.”

“But most of all, I want to thank each and every person who showed up.”

“This agreement is because of you.”

-ends-

Last edited by a moderator:
Leave it in SA. It’s been nothing short of a success there and it’s because they are a die hard AFL state with a very rich Aussie rules history. Take it elsewhere (besides WA maybe) it’s nowhere near the success it is.
You can't do a day drive to WA from Vic and flights are much more expensive from anywhere.

SA is the perfect location

Of course it's a success, it's easy. But how many new fans are you attracting to the sport? It would still be a big success in Sydney or Brisbane, but also would get some much needed media attention and likely bring a bunch of potential new fans to the sport. Which was supposedly the whole point of the venture in the first place.

A lot of people that criticised this idea only last year (and it was the majority on here) have no foresight and thought the concept wouldn't work full stop. What does that tell you, don't take the easier path and don't listen to the rusted on fan, do what's best for the game, as the keepers of the code.
I want the AFL to stop doing what’s best for business and start rewarding loyal fans.
SA is one of the heartland states before the crows lots of fans had a vfl club this and the fact its closeness to Victoria is perfect for a football festival.
Coupled with Adelaide’s ability to do major events better than most.
The grand prix was amazing Vic bought that so they do Supercars get nearly 300k over 4 days and win major event of the year over the vic grand prix for years.
They then get liv golf and it wins best golf tournament in the world.
For Freo it’s s**t but I wouldn’t want it to move.

Yeah that's fair. I just think that you have to view it from the lense that the fixture isn't equal to begin with, and probably never will be. With the acceptance of that as fact, any additional inequity from gather round doesn't contribute that much to the overall integrity (or lack of) in the fixture.

There might not be a solution to some of the differences, e.g., the travel and homeground advantages/disadvantages given so many teams are concentrated in Melbourne. But if we were serious about fairness, all teams would play each other once per year. The fact that some team may get to play North, WCE, Hawthorn etc. twice this year, while others get two games against GWS, Melbourne, Sydney etc. impacts the integrity of the fixture much, much more than Gather round.

And let's not be naive to the financial aspect. The reason we don't have a 17 round season (or longer with some byes) is purely financial. Just as the decision to host the grand final at the MCG each year is financial. Just as the inequity in the fixture due to gather round is financial. But of those three things, I think Gather round contributes the least to the unfairness in fixturing. But because the others already happen, we just accept them.
Fully agree with all of that. I'm in favour of the AFL doing everything they can towards making the competition as equitable as possible wherever possible but know that's a losing battle, particularly given the financial aspect as you say. I do think there's a decent solution for Gather Round (ie having the 4 teams playing in the games involving SA sides playing a neutral game somewhere at another point in the season) but don't expect the AFL would do that, and the format is likely to change soon when Tasmania comes in anyway.

What do people make of this fixture for next year

Gather Round 2025 Fixture

Thu night

Port v saints

Fri night

Crows v hawks

Sat day

Suns v giants (Barossa)

Lions v dockers (Mt barker)

Sat arvo

Richmond v dogs

Sat night

Ess v swans

Sun day

North v eagles (norwood)

Sun arvo

Carl v demons

Sun night

Coll v geelong
Sunday would be a good day of footy

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

What do people make of this fixture for next year

Gather Round 2025 Fixture

Thu night

Port v saints

Fri night

Crows v hawks

Sat day

Suns v giants (Barossa)

Lions v dockers (Mt barker)

Sat arvo

Richmond v dogs

Sat night

Ess v swans

Sun day

North v eagles (norwood)

Sun arvo

Carl v demons

Sun night

Coll v geelong
Really like it your concept and actually designed one myself out of sheer boredom yesterday.

THURSDAY
Port Adelaide vs. Carlton (Adelaide Oval)-(7.30pm)

FRIDAY
North Melbourne vs. Fremantle (Norwood Oval)-(5.10pm)
Adelaide vs. Collingwood (Adelaide Oval)-(7.40pm)

SATURDAY
Richmond vs. West Coast (Norwood Oval)-(2.10pm)
GWS vs. St. Kilda (Mount Barker)-(4.05pm)
Geelong vs. Brisbane (Adelaide Oval)-(7.40pm)

SUNDAY
Sydney vs. Hawthorn (Prospect Oval)-(1.10pm)
Gold Coast vs. Melbourne (Barossa)-(2.50pm)
Essendon vs. Western Bulldogs (Adelaide Oval)-(5.40pm)

With this proposal:

- Adelaide Oval would only get 4 matches (one per day) even though I would prefer the double header and those matches will be generally night/prime-time times.

- Norwood Oval would continue having 2 matches with Friday twilight and Saturday afternoon matches.

- Mt Barker would be reduced to one match and would be played Saturday twilight (dependent on quality of lights).

- Barossa would host Sunday afternoon prime-time match (dependent on redevelopment and facilities)

- Prospect Oval (North Adelaide), while not confirmed for next year, would be my personally pick of SANFL grounds for next dip given the close walking proximity to Adelaide Oval and would host Sunday afternoon match.

Do the Double Headers need tinkering with?

Watching Geelong v Bulldogs, there were a lot of empty seats for a sold out game. Assuming a lot of those were Carlton fans who left after their game. There may have been a lot of people who missed out on tickets who wanted to see Cats v Dogs.

I understand getting people to leave the ground within a certain amount of time, then get new ones in - would be a challenge.

But is it worth considering for these games, having some stands allocated as "ticket gets you both games" whilst others have separate tickets for each game?

Might be a very simplistic approach.

From previous years minor round finishing order.

1 v 2, Thu night @ AO*^

11 v 12, Fri twilight @ NO^
3 v 4, Fri night @ AO*^

9 v 10, Sat noon @ AO
13 v 14, Sat twilight @ NO^
5 v 6, Sat night @ AO*^

17 v 18, Sun noon @ Mt Barker
15 v 16, Sun afternoon @ Barrosa
7 v 8, Sun twilight @ AO^

*Port & Crows will always have Thurs, Fri or Sat nights reserved at AO for their matches.
^TV prime spots reserved for highest ranking remaining matches.
No AO double headers Saturday, 3 hour break between matches to clear stadium and reset for next game.

Fully agree with all of that. I'm in favour of the AFL doing everything they can towards making the competition as equitable as possible wherever possible but know that's a losing battle, particularly given the financial aspect as you say. I do think there's a decent solution for Gather Round (ie having the 4 teams playing in the games involving SA sides playing a neutral game somewhere at another point in the season) but don't expect the AFL would do that, and the format is likely to change soon when Tasmania comes in anyway.
I agree with everything you've said in principle, but don't not sure I see how it works practically. But will be interesting to see how it works with Tassie coming in, as you say.

The only way I could even see the AFL consider a showdown in gather round would be if the event as a whole becomes so successful, with enough interstate visitors, that they can guarantee 45k+ people attend each of the Thursday, Friday & Saturday night, and Sunday Twilight games. Then the financial difference is mitigated somewhat. But even in that scenario I can't see the AFL actually doing it.

But If we move to a 19 game season once there are 20 teams, (or 20 with Gather round) then I think there'd be a much stronger argument for making it a showdown.

Not sure why you are bringing up Alberton I've said a number times Glenelg & Prospect are better options for Gather Round. Norwood Oval has the crappest dimensions of any SANFL ground being a Port supporter has nothing to do with my view, it's a pity Norwood were so gutless once upon a time they'd be in the AFL with Port as we speak.

Prospect could actually work if done right.

Run a loop from say the train station, up through North Adelaide, up Main North Road, off the side street to drop off at Prospect Ovals front gate, then continue down side street (maybe close off to regular traffic) to another stop at Prospect Road, then down to Adelaide again.

Don't let people park inside the ground (Though, this is really only players/officials, so keep it to 3 buses - each club + umpires) and you have a ring behind the stadium you can set up stalls similar to Optus Stadium/Football Park.

Has to be done right though. Otherwise the lack of facilities could hinder it and be a disaster.

Prospect could actually work if done right.

Run a loop from say the train station, up through North Adelaide, up Main North Road, off the side street to drop off at Prospect Ovals front gate, then continue down side street (maybe close off to regular traffic) to another stop at Prospect Road, then down to Adelaide again.

Don't let people park inside the ground (Though, this is really only players/officials, so keep it to 3 buses - each club + umpires) and you have a ring behind the stadium you can set up stalls similar to Optus Stadium/Football Park.

Has to be done right though. Otherwise the lack of facilities could hinder it and be a disaster.
Prospect Oval would be my choice (with my fixture above) instead of a double header at AO and spectators could walk to the night match in Adelaide after the afternoon one in North Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s pretty clear that the AFL prioritises commercial benefits over fairness. So a showdown will not and should not happen in gather round.

For fairness, I’m sure we can find an extra home game for the NSW, WA and QLD clubs.

VIC clubs (and their coaches) should just shut the heck up. They are in no position to complain about fairness.

Really like it your concept and actually designed one myself out of sheer boredom yesterday.

THURSDAY
Port Adelaide vs. Carlton (Adelaide Oval)-(7.30pm)

FRIDAY
North Melbourne vs. Fremantle (Norwood Oval)-(5.10pm)
Adelaide vs. Collingwood (Adelaide Oval)-(7.40pm)

SATURDAY
Richmond vs. West Coast (Norwood Oval)-(2.10pm)
GWS vs. St. Kilda (Mount Barker)-(4.05pm)
Geelong vs. Brisbane (Adelaide Oval)-(7.40pm)

SUNDAY
Sydney vs. Hawthorn (Prospect Oval)-(1.10pm)
Gold Coast vs. Melbourne (Barossa)-(2.50pm)
Essendon vs. Western Bulldogs (Adelaide Oval)-(5.40pm)

With this proposal:

- Adelaide Oval would only get 4 matches (one per day) even though I would prefer the double header and those matches will be generally night/prime-time times.

- Norwood Oval would continue having 2 matches with Friday twilight and Saturday afternoon matches.

- Mt Barker would be reduced to one match and would be played Saturday twilight (dependent on quality of lights).

- Barossa would host Sunday afternoon prime-time match (dependent on redevelopment and facilities)

- Prospect Oval (North Adelaide), while not confirmed for next year, would be my personally pick of SANFL grounds for next dip given the close walking proximity to Adelaide Oval and would host Sunday afternoon match.

So Carlton get 2 games against a SA team in the first 3 years of Gather round?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You need it in a city that's easy to navigate with enough open spaces to host the events that are part of it.

It's why Adelaide works so well.

Sydney would be a nightmare IMO.
I've never been to Brisbane, so I can't comment on it.
Melbourne doesn't really need it.
Perth is too far away.
I think Sydney can work

Host it at Homebush.

Games across Stadium Australia and Giants Staidum.Can use other areas like showgrounds, basketball arena etc. for Player meet and greets.

Just have to ensure the public transport is running fluidly from the city that weekend.

But any iteration that splits it between Homebush and the SCG I think fails. Too spread out. Keep it central in 1 place.

So Carlton get 2 games against a SA team in the first 3 years of Gather round?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
When Tassie comes in, there will be an odd number of teams.

Instead of the NRL approach where someone misses out on Magic Round, we could have all nineteen teams play, with one team playing twice, e.g. Port v Carlton on Thursday and Adel v Carlton on Sunday.

It’s pretty clear that the AFL prioritises commercial benefits over fairness. So a showdown will not and should not happen in gather round.

For fairness, I’m sure we can find an extra home game for the NSW, WA and QLD clubs.

VIC clubs (and their coaches) should just shut the * up. They are in no position to complain about fairness.

It's our league.

Go back to your backwater local league if you don't like it.

I'm a Victorian living in Sydney.

It would be a complete disaster here.

Noone turns up to NRL, let alone AFL sides they have no idea who they are.

Sydney does not give two sh*ts about sport.
Agree, living across the river from the Plastics home ground, the only way you know that a game is on is by walking over to the edge of the river and looking up to see if the lights are on at the ground, no one in western Sydney gives a toss about AFL, the only advertising the games get is the weekly "Free entry for children" commercials and even then they can't get people to go for free. Sh*tney is the same although they give out a lot more free tickets and the people that go are only there as its a "place to be seen", a bit like turning up to watch that boat race they have at Xmas, no idea whats going on, just like to be able to boost their status symbol by saying they were at the event.

I think Sydney can work

Host it at Homebush.

Games across Stadium Australia and Giants Staidum.Can use other areas like showgrounds, basketball arena etc. for Player meet and greets.

Just have to ensure the public transport is running fluidly from the city that weekend.

But any iteration that splits it between Homebush and the SCG I think fails. Too spread out. Keep it central in 1 place.

Stadium Australia is a white elephant that is hardly ever used because no one wants to go out there, plus it has been converted into a rectangular ground to support the couple of games of rugby played there each year, unable to support any AFL games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back