Team Captain
Jun 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Blackburn(EFL)
Blackburn Vs NoblePark
The week always, for me, starts on Sunday when my favorite 20-odd kids run about in red 'n' black gathering the leather and straining to learn as much as they dare from myself and the other elders about accountability, defensive huddles, frontal pressure, one percenters and structural target delivery......nah, they just want to get a kick. And why would they listen - when you`re 10 years old there`s simply no time.

The rest of the week drags until Thursday night when I open the team selection folder and begin to assess player availability and positional changes, swapping them over and back again and again over a few days. In between times I always get a call or a rap at the door... can you mow Mom`s lawns this week?, we`re having a tree-planting down at the creeklands - can you make it?, is there any chance you`ll clear the gutters Friday evening?, would you please give blood? .....but with work and the washing I really can`t help. This week there`s the World Cup, a Prime-Ministerial challenge and a record breaking 5th set between two dudes I`ve never heard of to take up my attention - I simply don`t have the time.

I was surprised to see Gecko at Morton Park on Saturday; he`d already attended his quota of two home games per season. But, having escaped his minders for the afternoon, he was there and in fine form, telling anyone who`d listen what a fine player he was throughout the fifties. In truth he`d only played around 30 games for the Burners, but without the repertoire of World Cup, politics or Wimbledon at his disposal, and with a vision range of 40 metres, his recollection of those playing days was ever grand, peppered with amazing goals, marks and fisticuffs, "the likes of which you`d never seen young feller". As the opening siren approached, his audience dwindled, their attention having been conveniently taken by a phonecall here, a "shout" obligation there; they simply didn`t have any more time for ol' Gecko.

I asked him about our chances. Blackburn had plenty of key players out, and Noble Park were flying, having easily accounted for Balwyn a fortnight ago and pulverising Lilydale last week. Gecko told me that "these Mitcham blokes had always been mongrels and we`d kill `em, and young TC will kick 10."

Perched by the gate on the fence, he cheered with the home crowd as the red 'n' black blurred past him onto the field, and his eyes twinkled as the contest began, his view of the game a mix of past and present.

In the present, the game was a beauty, Blackburn opening strongly and running hard. But for all their dominant play (20 inside 50`s to 5) in the 1st term they could only manage 3 majors, the Bulls`Daniel Norman gathering plenty of the ball across half back. The standard remained high throughout, Luxon proving a handfull for the Noble Park backline, Simon Hale & Adam Wilson dominating in the middle for Blackburn. But the Bulls never laid down and with Stewart Kemperman and Sam Monaghan having an influence on the scoreboard, they fought their way to the lead at 3/4 time with 3 goals in as many minutes.

Another early in the final term increased their lead and seemingly gave them new legs, as they ran across the muddy surface with ease. But these young Burners have a lot of heart, and Luxon`s 4th made it anyone`s game with time-on approaching. It was a mighty battle and both sides had their chances to win it. Hatton`s running shot from 40 metres could have clinched it for the Burners, but the resulting behind only served to put the pill in the hands of the Noble Park runners, who whisked it to within 30 metres of their goal, right in front of the Morton Park faithful, hearts in mouths and beercans in ever-clenching fists.

I glanced toward the fenceline and saw Gecko leaning forward, eyes alight, seeing the play for one of the few occasions in the match. Saw his spirit sag and his fury rise as Troy Takenan, who`d kept Bulls key forward Tony Dickson goalless, was harshly pinged for a throw, seemingly handing the visitors the match with 2 minutes to play by "that bloody mongrel ump from Mitcham".

I say seemingly because it transpired that the scoreboard was wrong. At that stage the Burners were, in fact, a point in front, not 5 behind (I`ll leave you to judge for yourselves, readers, the impact this had on the way the game was played out).

Dickson slotted it through and raised his arms in salute, "knowing" the game was sealed. And, "knowing" the game was lost, Blackburn`s stoic defender Jeff Ryan promptly put his fist to Dicko`s exposed midriff, sending the crowd into a frenzy, the players into a biffo fest, and the umpires into confused panic. It was on all over the place.

When the dust settled, Joffa was carded and will miss the next 2 matches, and Dickson had another kick, putting through his 2nd, flattering his day. I was concerned for Gecko, feeling that the old bloke`s heart may have been broken, but I needn`t have feared - the glint in his eye told me he was feeling very much alive, and would return another day to witness his heroes defeat "those Mitcham mongrels", whoever was playing.

BLACKBURN 3.5 8.8 11.10 12.14-86
Best: Hale, Simbolen, Wilson and the Vansittart brothers
NOBLE PARK 1.2 6.3 12.6 15.7-97
Best : Norman, Allan, Kemperman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back