GFL Geelong Football League - 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the Grovey game as well and was looking forward to seeing young Donohue in action, as I'd heard plenty about him. The kid didn't fire a shot and barely looked interested (mind you he wasn't on his own there). Looked to be a very important day at Burdoo with Waldron's 200th and the past players day, yet the 22 on the field didn't seem to think so given the effort shown !!!
One question Tim F might be able to answer.......having more knowledge of the situation out there, has the coach lost the players ???

P.S. the bundy promo girls were the only shining light on a dull day.

Honestly after the past 3 games it sure looks like that.

Quite ammusing to see that Harvey Wallbanger kept the Tigers out on the ground at half time doing drills. He must be regretting the early comments and had them mixed up with"3 wins" instead of "top 3".
Was an extremely gutted coach after the game, however a non appearance in the rooms afterwards was duly noted.
Where are you Mr Finnigan? You need to update the faithful.
Donohue, ordinary, Bundy Girls, pimply and large gluteus maximus'. Hardly would have crawled over broken glass for em.

Sometimes when you know your side is not up to it, you can handle defeats when you can see the players have tried as hard as they possibly could. The last 3 games have quite frankly been embarrassing and very hard to watch. If you cant get yourself up for a club stalwarts 200th game as long as the 100 odd past players that were in attentence then you never will.

The coach knows the seasons long gone and that there needs to be alot of recruiting done for next year and his going to just play kids for the remainder of the year. Hopefully there wont be too many beltings as it'll make it very hard to bring in quality players next year.

Donohue had a poor one although Davenport should take alot of credit for that. Pete played on buck all day and done a great job keeping him away from the 50 which in turn gave us no options up forward.

Harvey obviously didn't realise how strong the comp was when he made that infamous "top 3" remark. As for keeping the boys out at half time, thats a normall practice with him. It'd be good to see him have the chance to recruit and have another crack next year, tho if he's lost the players now he'll be in trouble.

Ps- The bundy girls were f***ing terrible:thumbsdown:

Sometimes when you know your side is not up to it, you can handle defeats when you can see the players have tried as hard as they possibly could. The last 3 games have quite frankly been embarrassing and very hard to watch. If you cant get yourself up for a club stalwarts 200th game as long as the 100 odd past players that were in attentence then you never will.

The coach knows the seasons long gone and that there needs to be alot of recruiting done for next year and his going to just play kids for the remainder of the year. Hopefully there wont be too many beltings as it'll make it very hard to bring in quality players next year.

Donohue had a poor one although Davenport should take alot of credit for that. Pete played on buck all day and done a great job keeping him away from the 50 which in turn gave us no options up forward.

Harvey obviously didn't realise how strong the comp was when he made that infamous "top 3" remark. As for keeping the boys out at half time, thats a normall practice with him. It'd be good to see him have the chance to recruit and have another crack next year, tho if he's lost the players now he'll be in trouble.

Ps- The bundy girls were f***ing terrible:thumbsdown:

True, however they were still the highlight! :) (thats how bad the footy was!!!!)

Donohue didnt get near it but also didnt seem to care?? he spent the whole second half having a lovely chat and laugh with Davenport while the play was at the other end. You would hope your star player would try and fire the boys up and get them moving when they were down but he watched it all unfold while having a laugh.

True, however they were still the highlight! :) (thats how bad the footy was!!!!)

Donohue didnt get near it but also didnt seem to care?? he spent the whole second half having a lovely chat and laugh with Davenport while the play was at the other end. You would hope your star player would try and fire the boys up and get them moving when they were down but he watched it all unfold while having a laugh.

To be honest i didnt pay much attention to the game as i was in the past players function. Buck's been great all year and obviously had a poor day saturday. If not for him the side would be alot worse off then they currently are.

To be honest i didnt pay much attention to the game as i was in the past players function. Buck's been great all year and obviously had a poor day saturday. If not for him the side would be alot worse off then they currently are.

True, i am not disputing that at all. I think he is a great player on his day. It was more a refelction of the team that their star player was happily having a laugh with his opponent while his team was getting thumped. However he certainly wasnt alone, the coach has a lot of hard work to be done before they are back playing finals!

True, i am not disputing that at all. I think he is a great player on his day. It was more a refelction of the team that their star player was happily having a laugh with his opponent while his team was getting thumped. However he certainly wasnt alone, the coach has a lot of hard work to be done before they are back playing finals!

Untill we can find another ruckman, a gun CHF, a gun CHB and one or two a grade on ballers then finals wont be an option for years.

Sounds like the requirements for every side in every comp outside the top 4/5 Tim.
Ive been trying to find the tree they grow on for years but keep coming up with slow 5'7" short people.
i going to go to Scandinavia to find a 6'14" blonde girl to breed with and produce my own!

I was wandering of what people think of St Albans? Has Pete turned the corner for the supersaints? Do they have a future for finals in next couple of years? It looks like from the result on saturday that there in a better spot than were grovey are!

I was wandering of what people think of St Albans? Has Pete turned the corner for the supersaints? Do they have a future for finals in next couple of years? It looks like from the result on saturday that there in a better spot than were grovey are!

I wouldnt be too excited about them to be honest. Grovedale were terrible exceot for maybe 25 minutes of the game and they only won by 2 goals. I was impressed by one of their forwards, blonde fella who took a few great grabs but apart from that it was a game between two average sides.

Like Tim has said with grovey, i cant see them making finals without some major additions over the coming years.

I wouldnt be too excited about them to be honest. Grovedale were terrible exceot for maybe 25 minutes of the game and they only won by 2 goals. I was impressed by one of their forwards, blonde fella who took a few great grabs but apart from that it was a game between two average sides.

Like Tim has said with grovey, i cant see them making finals without some major additions over the coming years.

Watched the game Sat'dy..Grovey had a crap side in...played their worst footy of the year...and lost by two goals...they have not had any major inclusions this year apart from Donohue...put in a CHF in that side alone and it would make a big difference...
St albans played well....but looked pretty crap too...theyhad some guy who took some great grabs tho'..good to see..

Young Benny Evans, that would be. Two really good hangers and 30 possies for the day. he is ahving a really good year.
The end result really flatterred Grovey as at the 9 minute mark of the last quarter St Albans were 40 points up. They also had 17 men on the ground for the whole 3rd quarter as well, and kicked their last goal after the siren.
In the last 15 minutes the ruckman, the BOG, the ff and Draga were all off the ground as well so you might say that they took their foot off the pedal.
The result was never in doubt and if St Albans can recruit the guys that Tim is chasing(CHB,2 quality on ballers, and a small quality forward) I am sure that a finals push would occur.

Watched the game Sat'dy..Grovey had a crap side in...played their worst footy of the year...and lost by two goals...they have not had any major inclusions this year apart from Donohue...put in a CHF in that side alone and it would make a big difference...
St albans played well....but looked pretty crap too...theyhad some guy who took some great grabs tho'..good to see..

I think grovey and st albans are very similar except st albans were slightly younger on sat. I think st albans may come good because they have money to spend and there core group is young and better than previous yrs. could b a darkhourse for finals next yr i reckon. Grovey is were it always is and hopefully the spend a bit of money next yr."timmy finigan" and other people what do you think bout both clubs prospects for 2011?

I think grovey and st albans are very similar except st albans were slightly younger on sat. I think st albans may come good because they have money to spend and there core group is young and better than previous yrs. could b a darkhourse for finals next yr i reckon. Grovey is were it always is and hopefully the spend a bit of money next yr."timmy finigan" and other people what do you think bout both clubs prospects for 2011?

Well unless we're prepared to go out and spend some money on some handy recruits re-not from torquay or anglesea... We'll be the same disappointing side we've been for the past 15 years.. The club will hav to look outside the Geelong region id say because we'll never get blokes from other GFL clubs.

There is a few handy players running around at a higher level that are Grovey boys but wheather they come back soon remains to be seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lara beat St Mary's by 7 points apprently. Great result and great to see Joeys slip outta the 5 again.
Yes, it just goes to show "money isnt everything" doesnt it?Considering the kind of players they have there.Kids not getting a go, its all a money grab.They will no doubt beat Newtown & C next week. My money is on Lara this year.

Yes, it just goes to show "money isnt everything" doesnt it?Considering the kind of players they have there.Kids not getting a go, its all a money grab.They will no doubt beat Newtown & C next week. My money is on Lara this year.

Now lets sit back and wait for the couple of joeys posters that were on earlier this year come back an tell us that the Carson boys, Street etc etc are on way less than they could be else where and that these guys just love the jumper and the club.

Now lets sit back and wait for the couple of joeys posters that were on earlier this year come back an tell us that the Carson boys, Street etc etc are on way less than they could be else where and that these guys just love the jumper and the club.

I have played at clubs where money has wrecked seasons. There becomes a clear distinction between the players that are there who want to play for the club and those that just want the pay checks. It is not so easy to define that line when everything is going great. But when things start to go wrong and a team that has all the good players start to lose when they shouldn't that's when that gap reveals itself. I get the feeling that may be happening at Joeys. A club with such strong junior ties with the school etc can only breed problems when players come in on coin. Especially when people who have come up through the ranks for no money are missing out on games because of it. Going to be an interesting few weeks at Joeys.

Good story in today's addy regarding clubs heritage jumpers. Particulary liked St Mary's, Lara and Torquays old strips. TOMMAHAWK are you still around?? What was the reason for Bell Park changing from the green jumper with white V to there current jumper? Imo the old jumper was a classic and alot better than your current one.

Grovey's old yellow jumper with black sash is pretty basic but id much prefer to see us wear that instead of the normal tigers jumper thats worn by at least 2.5 million footy teams across Australia!! Even our old junior jumper which was gold with a black V was a classic that id love to see worn again one day.

Noticed that david Clarke got reported again for the third week in a row. I was going to post previously, How do you get off a wrestling charge?
Aren't you either doing it or not?
Anyway surely he is doing something wrong to cop all of this unwarranted attention or is he just belting blokes?

Noticed that david Clarke got reported again for the third week in a row. I was going to post previously, How do you get off a wrestling charge?
Aren't you either doing it or not?
Anyway surely he is doing something wrong to cop all of this unwarranted attention or is he just belting blokes?

The bloke is an over rated spud. Doubt he'd get much attention as St Mary's have about 15 better players than him that you'd have to worry about.

I know when Grovey played them earlier this year, Clarke told one of our players that he'd sort him out in the car park!! But I dont think many blokes would be too worried if they copped a "threat" like that.

Quite a few questionable personalities involved with Joes.Know who?

There becomes a clear distinction between the players that are there who want to play for the club and those that just want the pay checks
You are right there Muttonchops.Those who say it is not abt the money must be walking in space.I reckon pay should be based on performance,perform badly, dont get paid, same with coaches.Clarke is symptomatic of many in local footy.

TOMMAHAWK are you still around?? What was the reason for Bell Park changing from the green jumper with white V to there current jumper? Imo the old jumper was a classic and alot better than your current one.

yeh havent been on for a while but got an email saying someone had put a call out for the tommahawk haha

the jumper was changed in 1980 but i dont know the reason unfortunately. i agree the 'v' design looks great and i also like that both designs are quite rare amongst football teams across the country.

Interesting article in today's paper about Grovedale. Players aren't happy with the coach? Some players back him up and the one player says players will walk if Lang is still in the same position next year, club says his 3 year deal will be honoured.

Very questionable as to why they would sign him for 3 years i suppose when they wouldn't have known a great deal about him but i think there is a fair bit of stuff going on between the players and coach and some players are trying to cover it up while one player who they didn't name bravely said players will walk, Timmy, have you got any information on this??

Interesting article in today's paper about Grovedale. Players aren't happy with the coach? Some players back him up and the one player says players will walk if Lang is still in the same position next year, club says his 3 year deal will be honoured.

Very questionable as to why they would sign him for 3 years i suppose when they wouldn't have known a great deal about him but i think there is a fair bit of stuff going on between the players and coach and some players are trying to cover it up while one player who they didn't name bravely said players will walk, Timmy, have you got any information on this??

I personally didnt take much out of the article espicially the part about retaining players and recruiting.. The same line has been coming out of the joint for 15 years, but year after year its the same story ie- pick up a few handy players lose a few handy players and finish somewhere between 6th-10th.

Id say the reason he may have got 3 years is coz our track record with coaches recently. Off the top of my head we've had 7 coaches since 2000.
Wally Karnilowiz
Kent Butcher
Marty Christhensen
Bluey McGrath
David Mench
Pete Raidme
Harvey Lang

No ones been there long enough to try forming and keeping together a side for a long period. I have heard there'll be a number of blokes returning to Torquay next year but thats no big deal as there's only 2 id keep anyway. Harvey should have the chance to at least try recruit some big names for next year and hopefully get the team closer to finals.

What are everyone's thoughts on Lara? They have only lost three games for the season, one being to Grovedale which they probably should have won and with two wins over top opposition in consecutive weeks are the cats a contender or pretender? Where has the rapid turn around come from compared to previous years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back