Geelong sending players for surgery early and impacting GWS finals chances

Remove this Banner Ad

Should Geelong compromise their pre-season to keep the finals chances of other clubs alive?

Or is the 'concern' with the betting markets?

Geelong sending players early to have them cherry-ripe for pre-season is smart management. I don't think their players will be playing to lose anyway.

Most of their players haven't had an extended off season break before anyway (due to Geelong's remarkable constant annual and deep finals appearances in the past decade)

Geelong owes no one (gamblers or other clubs interests and finals hopes) anything .

This instance isn’t a huge integrity issue, but it is tip of the iceberg stuff. Something similar will happen again but with further-reaching consequences, and the “guilty” team will just point to Geelong 2023 (or maybe Richmond/Collingwood/Sydney/… in 2024/25/26/…).

Hawkins, Rohan, Blics, Close Duncan and Ratugolea would not have played this week regardless - all are injured/Duncan is suspended. Danger may still play, despite being able to barely move in the 2nd half last week. Guthrie and Stanley both returning from injury, and Guthrie is a long lay off, so would have been touch and go to play tomorrow.

So really, your only gripe is Cameron. Cameron has been injured 4 times this season, and can barely kick 50 meters at the moment/kick the ball straight from distance. He's unable to tackle, and he winces every time he's pressured/tackled. Us resting him is necessary, and he's only been struggling through because our season has been on a knife's edge for weeks. If not making him play through pain and discomfort - when it's literally for nothing - makes it seem like we're 'tanking', then so be it.

We've never tanked in our history, and have always competed even when the odds are against us. We have been smashed by injury this year, and I think everyone at the club is burned out. Even if we somehow made Finals, we weren't getting any further than Week 1.

You guys managed a whole bunch of players against North a few weeks back, because you'd sewn up Top 4. Teams do this all the time. What's the difference here?

But of an odd thread, without any basis or merit, IMO. Especially given this whole 'conspiracy is on the basis of a player who has been injured 4 times this season, and has been knowingly playing with a badly injured AC joint.

Last edited:
It's equally unfair for the bulldogs that Carlton will probably have locked in a home final by the time their game starts and will have very little to play for against a team with everything to play for.

Maybe the dogs and giants should both get to play finals to make it fair?

It's equally unfair for the bulldogs that Carlton will probably have locked in a home final by the time their game starts and will have very little to play for against a team with everything to play for.

Maybe the dogs and giants should both get to play finals to make it fair?

The Dogs just had to beat the one of the worst teams in recent memory, at their home ground.

No one to blame but themselves.

But of an odd thread, without any basis or merit, IMO. Especially given this whole 'conspiracy is on the basis of a player who has been injured 4 times this season, and has been knowingly playing with a badly injured AC joint.
If you read my first post, I make it pretty clear this isn't about Geelong - it's just this year's example. I'm in no way having a go at Geelong, teams have been doing it for years and will continue to do so. They're doing the right thing by themselves. No need to get so defensive.

My question was more so around whether it was fair to other teams and whether it impacts the integrity of the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you read my first post, I make it pretty clear this isn't about Geelong - it's just this year's example. I'm in no way having a go at Geelong, teams have been doing it for years and will continue to do so. They're doing the right thing by themselves. No need to get so defensive.

My question was more so around whether it was fair to other teams and whether it impacts the integrity of the comp.
No it’s not fair on other teams but also it doesn’t matter.

Slightly OT, but is there any rule stopping a team resting most or all of its best players? What if Hawthorn and Freo decided the season’s done, can’t improve draft position so let’s just make it Bokky Hawks v Peel Thunder. Is that possible?

Slightly OT, but is there any rule stopping a team resting most or all of its best players? What if Hawthorn and Freo decided the season’s done, can’t improve draft position so let’s just make it Bokky Hawks v Peel Thunder. Is that possible?
It's a good question.

Why shouldn't they give a few other players a go?

I think you need to respect the jumper, the opponent and the game and not send out a team that will cop a record level obliteration, but why not give some kids or retiring players a game?

FWIW I'm quite looking forward to this cats dogs game. Hope Menegola gets picked and keen to see a few of the young guys as well.

What am I missing here? If GWS win on the weekend they are in. Nothing to do with Geelong or the Bulldogs.
If cats beat dogs then GWS are in whether they win or lose*. So Geelong's selection could have an impact on GWS. Also OP stressed that the discussion is a general one not just about this scenario.

*unless bombers rodger the pies lol

North did it before playing finals where they played Richmond then lost. Played them again a week later and won. It is the reason the bye before finals came in.

Richmond were still playing for 4th spot while North couldn't go higher than 5th but did risk a trip to Adelaide.

If cats beat dogs then GWS are in whether they win or lose*. So Geelong's selection could have an impact on GWS. Also OP stressed that the discussion is a general one not just about this scenario.

*unless bombers rodger the pies lol
I understand all that. But in the end don't blame other teams when you can't control your own destiny. You have 23 games to control how your season finishes. No one else's fault when you don't play finals.

North did it before playing finals where they played Richmond then lost. Played them again a week later and won. It is the reason the bye before finals came in.

Richmond were still playing for 4th spot while North couldn't go higher than 5th but did risk a trip to Adelaide.
Rossy did it with Freo in 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back