news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the things mentioned from the "big press conference" from the UFC is that they're planning to come to Melbourne in 2015. Great news!

They've got an agreement with Etihad that they will come down once the cage ban is lifted apparently, and with Labor ahead in the polls it's looking likely. Here's hoping for Hunt v Overeem!

309860_285970184776849_1208920285_n.jpg

Paige Vanzant, Fighting now on fight pass. 20 years old. That 1st round was crazy

Dominant win. Disappointing as I was looking forward to Cub bringing something new against Aldo. Edgar is the new Faber, not good enough to win the title but better than everyone else in both divisions.
I'm not sure if Frankie's gameplan would fly too well against Mendes, who I see as being more of the gatekeeper to Aldo than Frankie is. Awesome performance by him today.

Also very surprised to see Boby Green get comrehensively beaten by Barboza today. All he did was trash talk and eat kicks.. I wonder if he was serious about his retirement tweet from a few days ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've got an agreement with Etihad that they will come down once the cage ban is lifted apparently, and with Labor ahead in the polls it's looking likely.
Don't be so sure
Has the ALP in Victoria changed enough from the party that banned the cage in the first place?
Also who was behind the ban?

Don't be so sure
Has the ALP in Victoria changed enough from the party that banned the cage in the first place?
Also who was behind the ban?

The first paragraph makes sense, the second is fairly typical stuff.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-...fighting-plan-despite-police-concerns/5826896

Cage fighting backed by Victorian Labor despite police chief's 'deep concerns'

Labor in Victoria is standing by its plan to legalise cage fighting despite the Chief Police Commissioner raising serious concerns about the sport.

Cage fighting, which is legal in every state and territory except Victoria, is a form of mixed martial arts held inside a mesh arena known as an "octagon".

Supporters of the sport say fighting inside a cage is safer than fighting in a boxing ring.

Labor's Wade Noonan said his party's plan to legalise the sport if it wins the election was based on those safety concerns.

"The reality is that the sport of mixed martial arts is legal in Victoria and is supported by all side of politics," he said.

"The issue here is the safety of the competitors who compete in mixed martial arts."

Mr Noonan said use of the cage reduced the risk of competitors falling out of the ring while grappling with each other.

Police commissioner holds 'deep concerns' about cage fighting

But Chief Commissioner Ken Lay said the sport glamorised street violence and should not be legalised.

"It concerns me when we start considering cage fighting in the world's most livable city," he said in a statement.

"It would be disappointing if we went down the path of glamorising this extreme violence."

Chief Commissioner Lay said allowing cage fights would undo the hard work of police trying to reduce violence in the community.

"I'm deeply concerned about the message it sends to the community when we accept this as a form of entertainment, and the culture that surrounds these types of activities." he said.

The Victorian Government promised to continue the ban on cage fighting if it won the election.

Sports Minister Damian Drum said Victoria did not need the violent sport on its major events calendar.

"It is the cage that brings the notoriety of this sport to the forefront of our community and that's where we believe it sends the wrong message to the Victorian community," he said.

"We don't want to see this type of sport put in front of the screaming fans."

What was the event location they were going to announce?

Edgar domination & Green needs to try being a little less Diaz.

I'm not sure if Frankie's gameplan would fly too well against Mendes, who I see as being more of the gatekeeper to Aldo than Frankie is. Awesome performance by him today.

Also very surprised to see Boby Green get comrehensively beaten by Barboza today. All he did was trash talk and eat kicks.. I wonder if he was serious about his retirement tweet from a few days ago.

I would back Frankie in that fight. Mendes' wrestling and power give him a shot against anyone in the division, but I think Frankie can match him in the wrestling department and should have a speed advantage. Something I noticed on the weekend was how good Frankie's corner was. In round one Frankie struggled a lot with Cub's butterfly guard... couldn't pass it, couldn't inflict much damage and couldn't hold Cub down because of it. Almeida's short and sweet advise was (paraphrasing) "whichever side he gets the butterfly on first, pass to that side and it will completely negate it." Round two starts, Frankie scores a takedown, Cub has butterfly guard on one side, Frankie passes right over the top of it to half guard and batters him for the rest of the round. Brilliant stuff!

Agree completely on the Green/Barboza fight. I do love Edson's skills, but have doubts over his chin and figured that Green would eventually find it and crack it. I've really enjoyed watching Green fight in the UFC so far, but that was a really bad performance by him. You could well be right that retirement was on his mind, but I hope he thinks twice about it as there are still some great fights out there for him.

Huge win for us ufc fans in Melbourne. I expect a joint press conference to announce the cage ban lift and the first event. Can. Not. Wait.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back