news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't see him doing much, he's not going to dive right in like Brock did. He's got no history of competing in any sports and he wasn't certain on what weight he'll fight at because he's never done a weight cut in his life. He's basically there because he really wants to fight, he's good friends with Dana and Lorenzo and he's a celebrity, and if they said he needs to win a couple of fights elsewhere there's every chance Bellator would have snatched him up instead. I'm fine with them signing him but it's pretty hard to justify it with a straight face when Dana also argues that somebody like Askren hasn't shown enough.

I'm fine with them signing him but it's pretty hard to justify it with a straight face when Dana also argues that somebody like Askren hasn't shown enough.

This is the only sticking point for me. Having said that, I'm happy for him to be given a chance as he has some legit skills and will bring a decent sized fanbase over from the WWE. Like you, I can't see him doing much in the game given his age and lack of experience in the sport but will be watching.

I think CM Punk is going to get destroyed, unless they can match him up with someone worse than the TUF China competitors. Rener Gracie said that he's still very new to jiu-jitsu and Punk has said that's his base. He's 36, had multiple injuries in pro wrestling and from what I've seen he looks far less athletic than many other pro wrestlers. Apparently UFC profits are down by 40% this year, at least this CM Punk thing will help that out.

I think if Askren truly wanted to sign on, he would have, his own ego is standing in his way.. Although Dana's comments aren't really helping the UFC's cause.
When Askren left Bellator he had a meeting with the UFC. The UFC didn't even offer him a contract and Dana White claimed that it's because he needed more experience. Now Askren's contracted to One FC and I'm not sure how easy it would be to leave One FC while contracted.

Looking at the upcoming fights in the UFC, damn. My interest in the UFC has dropped significantly but those events in January look amazing. McGregor/Siver fight is disappointing since Siver's a step back from Poirier. Smart from the UFC as there's no doubt he'll get the next title shot after he beats Siver (which is extremely likely).

Came across this on twitter: "This thing isn’t a joke. You don’t just decide 'I’m a pro wrestler I think I’m going to fight.'" -- Dana White re: Kurt Angle, 2007

Combine it with the Ben Askren isn't experienced enough stuff and it's hilarious. Angle's an Olympic gold medallist in freestyle wrestling. Won the medal with a broken freackin' neck even.

CM Punk seems like a nice guy, that makes me want to see him get mauled even less. It's just ridiculous. There, that's all I'm going to say about it.

CM Punk seems like a nice guy
What? The guys a knob. He even freely admits he is a knob. He is far from a nice guy. People thing Brock is an arrogant campaigner, this guy takes it to a new level. Brock can back it up though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone hear Joe Rogan's podcast with Shaub? They're mates, but Joe pretty much told Brendan that he should retire and that he isn't good enough to fight at the elite level.

That would be hard to tall a friend, but Joe is right, in my opinion

******* brutal.

What? The guys a knob. He even freely admits he is a knob. He is far from a nice guy. People thing Brock is an arrogant campaigner, this guy takes it to a new level. Brock can back it up though.
Fair enough. Seemed nice enough from the interviews he did at the UFC event. Those in the MMA media seem to be saying the same as me but I guess everyone's basing that on not much, so I'll take your word for it.

Let the knockouts begin then.

Profits down by 40%...

The UFC has lost its "Elite" tag imo and has cost them. I remember when the UFC was acquiring other fighters from different organisations, It had the Elite tag attached to the Company. I used to tell people that didn't know about the UFC that this was the best of the best....Im not confident in telling people that anymore. Like any sport the MMA world is always evolving and growing, Do you think it will die out from the mainstream sports media and go backwards underground ? Is that even possible now ?

It's pretty crazy to think that you're not confident in telling people the UFC is the best of the best any more. They probably have the highest percentage of the very best fighters that they've ever had. That's because Bellator, while being the number 2 promotion now, is further behind the UFC in talent level than Pride, Strikeforce or the WEC were. Yet I get exactly where you're coming from as the gap between the best UFC fighters and the worst is astronomical today.

I don't think MMA will go backwards from where it's at, at least not much anyway. UFC dealing with Fox and now with Reebok show that the sport has a level of acceptance that puts its future in a good place. Down the road this massive global expansion could pay dividends with the level of talent in the region increasing dramatically and with large fan bases, but for the near future I don't think it's all that positive.

I realise I'm a bit behind everyone here in seeing it but just saw what happened to Leslie Smith's ear. :eek:

Nate Diaz weighed in at 160.5lbs for his Lightweight (155lb) bout tomorrow with Rafael dos Anjos. Co-main on the Dos Santos vs. Miocic card. Fox Sports pundits claiming he "gave up" during weight cut, because he's unhappy with his situation in the UFC and "feels disrespected". I suppose (like his brother) his way of dealing with disrespect is being disrespectful back. There's few greater "f**k you" acts (toward your opponent, the promoter and the company) in the fight game than not making weight.

F**king Diaz brothers, seriously... I like them as fighters, but they keep shooting themselves in the foot over dumb s**t. Stupid is as stupid does though I guess.

Last edited:
F**king Diaz brothers, seriously... I like them as fighters, but they keep shooting themselves in the foot over dumb s**t. Stupid is as stupid does though I guess.

So much this. Everyone loves watching these guys fight, but they make one dumb decision after another. Be a professional, make weight, fight, win, and then talk to your employers.

So much this. Everyone loves watching these guys fight, but they make one dumb decision after another. Be a professional, make weight, fight, win, and then talk to your employers.

- Complains about money
- Misses weight
- Gets fined 20% of his purse

That Stockton logic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back