General Problems Thread: 2009 - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a problem as such, but a question - Has anyone got a recommendation for a monitor that rotates to portrait mode? Trying to see if I could find a 22"+ for around $250.

For Chrome:

1. Click on the button that sort of looks like this '=' on the top right of your screen.

2. Go to 'Settings'.

3. On the settings page, there should be a tab called 'Extensions'. Click on that and if there is any Babylon extension, remove it.

Is it appearing on Firefox too?
Yes firefox, is the main one. I was just trying to think if it happened on my laptop with google chrome. However the main PC for the house is where the main problems are and thats with firefox

Q, I have Windows7 32 bit on my laptop, the installation disc was a copy and does not appear to have the 64 bit option, is there an easy way to upgrade to 64 bit without losing all my data, i have a 2 Tb external hard drive and i have previously saved a copy for security, the reason is i bought the latest Dragon Age game after playing the previous 3 without any problems, but neglected to read the very fine print on the back of the cover for minimum system requirements, and only now have found out i cannot do anything with my current system, any suggestions would be welcome,

Q, I have Windows7 32 bit on my laptop, the installation disc was a copy and does not appear to have the 64 bit option, is there an easy way to upgrade to 64 bit without losing all my data, i have a 2 Tb external hard drive and i have previously saved a copy for security, the reason is i bought the latest Dragon Age game after playing the previous 3 without any problems, but neglected to read the very fine print on the back of the cover for minimum system requirements, and only now have found out i cannot do anything with my current system, any suggestions would be welcome,

As far as I'm aware you can't, the two versions are entirely different. Backup your profile (my documents, my pictures, favourites, etc.) using Windows Easy Transfer to your external along with any other files you need, then do a reinstall. Assuming you have a legit copy of Windows I'm not sure if your key will work for both 32bit AND 64bit.

As far as I'm aware you can't, the two versions are entirely different. Backup your profile (my documents, my pictures, favourites, etc.) using Windows Easy Transfer to your external along with any other files you need, then do a reinstall. Assuming you have a legit copy of Windows I'm not sure if your key will work for both 32bit AND 64bit.

Cheers, and thanks for the reply

I am just doing random things on my laptop, and my laptop will stop everything, blue screen with some writing on it I can't catch and then fully restart. This has happened 3 times. Anyone with any idea's of what is causing this and how to fix it.
Well, I could never fix the blue screen, but this time when I blue screen when I went to reboot my laptop it ran an autorecovery program. Problem is, it just does its thing for 10 minutes, restarts the computer, and then does the 'autorecovery' again for 10 minutes, restarts does it again etc. etc. I have tried booting in safe mode but it still runs this program, how would I boot the computer without it opening whatever program this is? It's say something like 'Windows loading files' down the bottom before it opens. Any ideas?

Well, I could never fix the blue screen, but this time when I blue screen when I went to reboot my laptop it ran an autorecovery program. Problem is, it just does its thing for 10 minutes, restarts the computer, and then does the 'autorecovery' again for 10 minutes, restarts does it again etc. etc. I have tried booting in safe mode but it still runs this program, how would I boot the computer without it opening whatever program this is? It's say something like 'Windows loading files' down the bottom before it opens. Any ideas?

If you're talking about "Windows System Recovery" you might be able to fix it by running "chkdsk /f" (fixes disk errors), we've had a lot of that lately at work thanks to Windows patches. Either put the disk in another PC as a secondary disk and run it, or download something like Hirens BootCD and see if you can run it off that.

Tip: hit Alt+Prt Sc and it will only capture the currently active window. Saves having to crop it out of the whole screen capture. Especially as these days more & more people have 2 screens.

How do you save a pic of your whole screen?

7510745_ec9e463fd1_m.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys, I have a WD My Passport 500GB external drive and it won't let me transfer files from it back to my pc. It still comes up in My Computer so I can access the files but whenever I start to transfer a file, even something 50mb, it takes forever and then kinda just stops.

Is there a way to recover the data at all? I can still access it but it just won't let me transfer stuff.

Hey guys, I have a WD My Passport 500GB external drive and it won't let me transfer files from it back to my pc. It still comes up in My Computer so I can access the files but whenever I start to transfer a file, even something 50mb, it takes forever and then kinda just stops.

Is there a way to recover the data at all? I can still access it but it just won't let me transfer stuff.

Does it make any odd sounds when you try to copy? If it's a mechanical fault then you're probably screwed, you could possibly run a CHKDSK /f over it to see if it's just corrupted itself. You could also get something like Speccy which will tell you if the drive has any SMART errors

Got a Samsung Galaxy S5, and I keep getting the check battery cover coming up all the time, even when the phone isn't plugged in.
Have tried a factory reset, but this hasn't helped.

Has anyone else had this problem and how do I go about fixing it?

Have you checked the back cover? Apparently there's a pin behind the cover somewhere that gets pushed in when the cover is on, if it's not getting pushed in properly it can trigger the message

Does it make any odd sounds when you try to copy? If it's a mechanical fault then you're probably screwed, you could possibly run a CHKDSK /f over it to see if it's just corrupted itself. You could also get something like Speccy which will tell you if the drive has any SMART errors
It clicks a little bit but I've tried to do the chkdsk and it just won't do it at all. I find the whole PC starts to slow down when I plug it in aswell. I tried to do transfers on my mums computer which seems to run a little better and I'm slowly transferring data over but a 500MB file still takes hours to complete.

It clicks a little bit but I've tried to do the chkdsk and it just won't do it at all. I find the whole PC starts to slow down when I plug it in aswell. I tried to do transfers on my mums computer which seems to run a little better and I'm slowly transferring data over but a 500MB file still takes hours to complete.

As a last resort you might be able to pull the enclosure apart and put in it a PC just incase it's the USB controller that's fried, that's assuming the drives in those things can be removed.

As a last resort you might be able to pull the enclosure apart and put in it a PC just incase it's the USB controller that's fried, that's assuming the drives in those things can be removed.
I was thinking I could perhaps use a SATA cable but not sure if you can do that with a 500gb my passport hD

I was thinking I could perhaps use a SATA cable but not sure if you can do that with a 500gb my passport hD

Google it to see if anyone else has done it. In theory it should be a normal drive in there that'll just plug into a regular PC, but seeing how compact some of these portable drives are it wouldn't surprise me if some companies made some more permanent modifications to the drives to fit everything in.

Seeking assistance from anyone who's using dual monitors via multi-stream transport (aka MST, aka "daisy-chaining").

Problem: can get both monitors to display in Extended Desktop mode at 2560x1440 after tinkering with the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. However, the settings are lost at reboot - the primary monitor displays in 1024x768, and the taskbar moves to the seconday monitor. Can get it back using the Intel control panel software, but I'd much prefer Windows to remember the settings.

Setup: i7-4770K with HD Graphics 4600 (i.e. Intel integrated graphics), ASUS Maximus VI Impact mobo, 2 x ASUS PA279Q monitors
- mobo DisplayPort out => monitor #1 DisplayPort in
- monitor #1 DisplayPort out => monitor #2 DisplayPort in
using DisplayPort 1.2 cables supplied with monitors
latest drivers installed (Intel graphics & ASUS monitor drivers)

Any advice on what I need to set or save so that Windows remembers the settings at startup?

Seeking assistance from anyone who's using dual monitors via multi-stream transport (aka MST, aka "daisy-chaining").

Problem: can get both monitors to display in Extended Desktop mode at 2560x1440 after tinkering with the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. However, the settings are lost at reboot - the primary monitor displays in 1024x768, and the taskbar moves to the seconday monitor. Can get it back using the Intel control panel software, but I'd much prefer Windows to remember the settings.

Setup: i7-4770K with HD Graphics 4600 (i.e. Intel integrated graphics), ASUS Maximus VI Impact mobo, 2 x ASUS PA279Q monitors
- mobo DisplayPort out => monitor #1 DisplayPort in
- monitor #1 DisplayPort out => monitor #2 DisplayPort in
using DisplayPort 1.2 cables supplied with monitors
latest drivers installed (Intel graphics & ASUS monitor drivers)

Any advice on what I need to set or save so that Windows remembers the settings at startup?

Updated the BIOS? Or checked the BIOS for any related settings?

Updated the BIOS? Or checked the BIOS for any related settings?

Yeah, latest BIOS. The only relevant section is under 'Graphics Configuration':

Primary Display - Auto, iGPU or PCIe (Auto)
iGPU Multi-Monitor - Disabled or Enabled (Disabled)

Tried setting these to iGPU & Enabled but got a BSOD. I think 'iGPU Multi-Monitor' is for two monitors plugged into different ports (i.e. DisplayPort & HDMI), whereas I'm only using the one port (DisplayPort). I'll give it another try tonight to be sure, though.

^^ No good. Lost one screen completely & had to unplug/plug in the DisplayPort cable to get it back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back