Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 5, 2006
W.A.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Hey everyone,

This is a thread for any computer problems you might have.

I'll start us off:

I just got a new computer (Vista 64bit) and I can't get Java to work in Firefox. In Internet Explorer it is fine, but not Firefox. From What I've gathered this is a fairly common problem, can anyone help?

EDIT: I managed to fix it, I just downloaded Adobe Shockwave and it works.

But post if you have any problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is a bigfooty general problem. Just started a couple days ago.

For some reason, I can't click the controls you see above the text field when you type a new message, that is, for bold, italics, underline, link, image, youtube etc. I also can't use Ctrl-B, Ctrl-I, Ctrl-U etc from the keyboard, but these problems seem to be confined to just BigFooty.

I've checked two other forums that also use vbulletin software and I don't have the same problem there.

Any ideas?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a bigfooty general problem. Just started a couple days ago.

For some reason, I can't click the controls you see above the text field when you type a new message, that is, for bold, italics, underline, link, image, youtube etc. I also can't use Ctrl-B, Ctrl-I, Ctrl-U etc from the keyboard, but these problems seem to be confined to just BigFooty.

I've checked two other forums that also use vbulletin software and I don't have the same problem there.

Any ideas?
Perhaps clear cookies + history and see how you go then?

I have recently been getting a pop up about twice a day for an asian website (chinese i think) and no matter how many times i use avg and spybot it still pops up (about 2 months now) I use google chrome, yet it pops up in internet explorer. I have tried putting the site in restricted sites but it just changes the url to something different. I have also been getting up to 4 viruses a day in the same place. It is Win32/heur found in C:\WINDOWS\System32\E26E4C\nt-9xp.exe is this file necessary or can i delete it? Thanks in advance.

I have recently been getting a pop up about twice a day for an asian website (chinese i think) and no matter how many times i use avg and spybot it still pops up (about 2 months now) I use google chrome, yet it pops up in internet explorer. I have tried putting the site in restricted sites but it just changes the url to something different. I have also been getting up to 4 viruses a day in the same place. It is Win32/heur found in C:\WINDOWS\System32\E26E4C\nt-9xp.exe is this file necessary or can i delete it? Thanks in advance.

Looks like malware, log into the system in safe mode and remove it. Download hijackthis and look for any instances of this nt-9xp.exe and LI-2D2E2.EXE

Both my ps3 and laptop keep getting DNS errors when trying to connect to the internet while every other laptop and computer in the house works. For some reason the wireless works on both of them but when trying to plug in by ethernet cable it just keeps saying theres a dns error. any solutions?

Perhaps you need to manually enter your DNS servers.

Go on to one of the computers which works alright and do this:
- Click the start menu

- Click on 'Run'

- Type in 'cmd'

- Type in 'ipconfig /all' and then hit enter

- Write down the primary and secondary DNS servers which should appear as two sets of numbers separated by periods. Note: there may be only one DNS server, but that's okay.

- On your computer that isn't working, go to 'start' > 'control panel' > 'network connections'.

- Right click on the network you want to use and click on properties.

- Double click on 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

- Click the circle that says 'use the following DNS server addresses'

- In the 'preferred DNS server', enter in the primary DNS server you wrote down from before (the one from the working computer).

- If you were given a 'secondary DNS server' from your working computer, enter it into the 'alternate DNS server'. If you weren't, just leave it as a set of 0's.

- Click 'OK'.

I've done this a heap of times to set up static I.P addresses, but I can't be sure of what's actually wrong with your computer.

edit: If you double click on the 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' and there are already manually entered numbers under the DNS servers, check if they're right.

If you're still in trouble, use an openDNS server, the I.P of your router, or ring your ISP or check their webpage for DNS servers (they will know what you're on about).

Good luck.

For the past week when I have started up my laptop (Asus with Vista) it would sometimes go to "Startup Repair' but it would fix the problem in about a minute and then my computer would run normally.

But today when I went to start it up the startup repair thing decided it couldn't fix whatever problem it was having.

Anyway I have no idea why it would suddenly decide not to start up properly but I went to the diagnosis and repair details and it said this: C:\windows\system32\drivers\sptd.sys is corrupt

If anyone has any idea how I could fix this it would be great.

Just got my Call of Duty 1 game out ready for some shoot 'em up, but cannot play it due to my computer needing a driver update for my graphics card. I have a basic NVIDIA Geforce card that is more than capable for most games. I tried going to the website and downloaded an update from the other day, but it was incompatible.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Just got my Call of Duty 1 game out ready for some shoot 'em up, but cannot play it due to my computer needing a driver update for my graphics card. I have a basic NVIDIA Geforce card that is more than capable for most games. I tried going to the website and downloaded an update from the other day, but it was incompatible.

Any ideas what might be wrong?
Hmm... The only thing I can think of is that you didn't pick the right model set.
Go to NVIDIA wesite, go to download drivers, then in the pull down boxes pick the compatible drivers, ie GeForce 6 series, then the actual card ie 6800 model. Thats all I can think of. You either picked the wrong one, or maybe you should try downloading similar updates for the same series. ie get the 6600 update rather than 6800.

What card model you have?

A quick question from a complete computer novice...my anti-virus program (avira) keeps notifying me of a trojan. This pop-up keeps telling me it's called 'vapsup', and it says www.???.googletoolbar.exe, or something like that. Should I uninstall my google toolbar, or what should i do? I just keep hitting the default option which is 'deny access', has just been happening the last 10 minutes.

Any suggestions??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back