Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
Well I believe what Glenorchy gained from being able to have Akermanis play for them far outweighs what extra funding other clubs have been getting. Hobart and North Hobart were probably the two most financial clubs in the league so why give them extra funding? Do you think Colingwood get the same amount as Western Bulldogs?

Glenorchy & North Launy took a punt to get ex AFL players to come & play. Like North Hobart took a punt with the RL & RU.

So while those clubs went out to run significant events with their own money & taking all the risks. Clubs like Burnie & Clarence were just given extra handouts. How is that fair?

You said Clarence make $1000 a week on bingo. So should AFLTas pay other clubs who dont have bingo?

I'm sorry but I dont see your point about Hobart & North Hobart. Hobart have money that is controlled by a trust group. The money came from when they sold their pub, The Brisbane Hotel. That sort of money needs to be spent wisely on equipment & facility development. North Hobart are not as well off as Burnie or Clarence.

I think its clear that AFLTas gave extra handouts to some clubs, even though they were in a better position than some others. Why would they do that??

Talking to club officials will show you just what it costs to run a club. Council costs over $30K, player & coach at $100k, player jumpers, shorts, socks & apparel, Hydro for lights & office & insurances & a manager/ office costs & medical bills & equipment & trainers etc etc. It all costs $$ so it takes a lot of time & effort to raise it. A TSL club would need $400k at least to run properly. That is without trying to run a social club with staff costs & extra insurances, equipment & fridges, rates & water & maintenance etc. All clubs would be struggling to find enough volunteers. It takes good people to work for a club. Finding trust worthy people to handle the kiosk & gates & beer booth or whenever you deal with a lot of cash.

Losing the reserves lost a lot of guys over 20, + family & friends. That would have put a huge income hole in all clubs.

I was told AFLTas admitted paying the extra $.

I've heard from a few different people over the last year that 450K is required to run a TSL club. That's a lot of coin, for the small volunteer groups that most clubs have, to raise each year.

Glenorchy & North Launy took a punt to get ex AFL players to come & play. Like North Hobart took a punt with the RL & RU.

So while those clubs went out to run significant events with their own money & taking all the risks. Clubs like Burnie & Clarence were just given extra handouts. How is that fair?

You said Clarence make $1000 a week on bingo. So should AFLTas pay other clubs who dont have bingo?

I'm sorry but I dont see your point about Hobart & North Hobart. Hobart have money that is controlled by a trust group. The money came from when they sold their pub, The Brisbane Hotel. That sort of money needs to be spent wisely on equipment & facility development. North Hobart are not as well off as Burnie or Clarence.

I think its clear that AFLTas gave extra handouts to some clubs, even though they were in a better position than some others. Why would they do that??

Geez I think your got your point across enough times there. Did these clubs that didn't receive it actually ask AFL TAS for extra funding? did they come with a plan on how it was going to be spent? or did they just jump and down when they realised someone was getting a better deal than them like a whinging kid?

Geez I think your got your point across enough times there. Did these clubs that didn't receive it actually ask AFL TAS for extra funding? did they come with a plan on how it was going to be spent? or did they just jump and down when they realised someone was getting a better deal than them like a whinging kid?

I think you can take it as fact they did ask. I was informed by someone close to such matters that AFLTas just handled it in their usual arrogant way.

Thorpe going to mainland?? Is that why he has quit Prospect?
GLENELG SIGNS Mitch Thorp

Wow that was the talk (that he was going to Glenelg) before he signed with Western Storm which was only a fortnight ago .

Now he has done a full 360 after only two weeks as coach, I wonder why the change of heart from Mitch and what ramifications this will have for the Storm if any?

Wow that was the talk (that he was going to Glenelg) before he signed with Western Storm which was only a fortnight ago .

Now he has done a full 360 after only two weeks as coach, I wonder why the change of heart from Mitch and what ramifications this will have for the Storm if any?

Does this mean that Glenelg should represent Tasmania in the foxtel cup next year?

I'd also heard weeks ago that he was thinking of making a move. I believe that Storm had already spoken to an ex TSL coach about taking the job on if Thorpe left.

People wonder why AFL Tasmania are perceived as arrogant, yesterday they posted the roster on their AFL Tasmania Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/OfficialAFLTasmania?fref=ts when a number of people complained that it was too small to read they’re reposted an improved larger version with the following Narky Comment
"Sorry! Unlike Nick Morgan, we are not perfect. Here we go again:"

Nick Morgan was one of the people who had a complaint about the first posting of the unreadable roster. If i did this on my company facebook page I would be in big trouble.

People wonder why AFL Tasmania are perceived as arrogant, yesterday they posted the roster on their AFL Tasmania Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/OfficialAFLTasmania?fref=ts when a number of people complained that it was too small to read they’re reposted an improved larger version with the following Narky Comment

Nick Morgan was one of the people who had a complaint about the first posting of the unreadable roster. If i did this on my company facebook page I would be in big trouble.

Why don't you write what Nick Morgan wrote in his complaint thought? clutching at straws aren't ya? I reckon they had every right to have a crack back

Why don't you write what Nick Morgan wrote in his complaint thought? clutching at straws aren't ya? I reckon they had every right to have a crack back

Well AFL Tasmania should of prof read what they posted first or check the post online to see if its readable that is not to hard, if offended by a post delete it,
Halftimehero to be fair I should of posted what Nick Morgan said which was
  • Can't run a state league, can't support football in tasmania, can't even upload a photo onto facebook correctly
to have a crack back is just opening yourself up to be trolled. But then again new technology appears not be a strong suit for AFL Tasmania, There web page last update 28th October. Really guys and girls put the roster on your official page please.

Heard a rumor from two sources that next year could be Glenorchy last in the SWL.

Your continual defending of AFL TAS is amazing. It does not matter what Nick Morgan said or didn't say, AFL TAS as a supposedly professional organisation should never stoop that low and make crass remarks like that. If you think they have a right "to have a crack" as you say I hope you don't run your own business. Imagine a communications company or a banking corporation behaving like that, the person responsible would get sacked. Pity the same doesn't happen down at Argyle st.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I checked the TSL webpage as I thought that would be the most likely place they would post the roster. Unfortunately what is obvious to most of us isn't as obvious to AFL TAS.

So Thorpe goes!

Can we get a list of all the players that left the league?
There must be a lot of quality leaving and very little coming in...

Burnie have lost a couple on top of their draftees (Templeton, Grey) Robinson (retired).
Devonport are battling to the max!
South\Western have had half their senior squad leave the league. Harper, Johncock,Thorpe(interstate). Mansell, Riley, James, Larby (NTFA)
North Launny also have lost most of their senior quality in Wager, Crawford, Viney, and Harding (ntfa).
Launny have had a mass exit- Bristow, Whiting (interstate), O'Donohue, Edwards, Ellis (NTFA) G.Savage (retired) J. Kola, K. Kola (drafted)

Not sure in the south but, already, that list of names is forming a pretty good rep side.
This league just got worse!

So Thorpe goes!

Can we get a list of all the players that left the league?
There must be a lot of quality leaving and very little coming in...

Burnie have lost a couple on top of their draftees (Templeton, Grey) Robinson (retired).
Devonport are battling to the max!
South\Western have had half their senior squad leave the league. Harper, Johncock,Thorpe(interstate). Mansell, Riley, James, Larby (NTFA)
North Launny also have lost most of their senior quality in Wager, Crawford, Viney, and Harding (ntfa).
Launny have had a mass exit- Bristow, Whiting (interstate), O'Donohue, Edwards, Ellis (NTFA) G.Savage (retired) J. Kola, K. Kola (drafted)

Not sure in the south but, already, that list of names is forming a pretty good rep side.
This league just got worse!

Be careful, someone on here will get you for being 'negative'. You should ask 'who are the recruits into the league this year to make it a better comp'. See what I did their!!

That how you turn a negative into a positive:D Oh & the other thing is to deny reality, thats what AFLTas do to make things seem better than they are:p.

Just another point to think about over xmas puddy. Seeing that the NEAFL is only one league representing Qld, NSW & the ACT, what is the point of having the TSL play against the VFL, SANFL, WAFL or NEAFL. We wouldnt get within 100pts of any of these competitions, maybe even 150pts

Serious question: In a hypothetical of Wade stepping down or getting sacked at some point in the near future, would the TSL still be a viable option for the state? It seems like a lot of the damage is almost irreparable now and the community is so disengaged in the competition that the SFL and NTFA might be the only way forward. Thoughts?

Well having all, those draftees is a massive tick for the league, how many of those blokes you listed as leaving played in this years state team which had a comprehensive victory in sydney? Aaron Cornelius is a fairly good pick up for the league

Serious question: In a hypothetical of Wade stepping down or getting sacked at some point in the near future, would the TSL still be a viable option for the state? It seems like a lot of the damage is almost irreparable now and the community is so disengaged in the competition that the SFL and NTFA might be the only way forward. Thoughts?

My thoughts are that this will be what will be left in a year or two Regional Football as many of the SWL Clubs are struggling financially Glenorchy and Devonport I think will be in a regional leagues in 2015, Hell Devonport wanted to go back in 2014.

If Glenorchy pull out maybe AFL Tasmania will create another new identity based in the Northern Suburbs, as they will have to do in the Devonport region.
But hell all that matter's to AFL Tasmania is getting a handfull of players drafted each year. The well being of certain clubs is secondary, Why was North Hobart given the flick once Hobart pulled out of the Merger is beyond me.

With or without Scott Wade you have to ask is Statewide Football viable long term, I always thought an eight team Competition would work not trying to spread the cash over 10 teams and the quality of football would be better as well.

Well having all, those draftees is a massive tick for the league, how many of those blokes you listed as leaving played in this years state team which had a comprehensive victory in sydney? Aaron Cornelius is a fairly good pick up for the league

Here we go, another "all these kids getting drafted means the Statewide League is working" post. You don't suppose these kids got drafted primarily on the back of games for Tassie U/18s?

Having young guys get recruited to the AFL is good for them but the more senior capable players who leave the TSL lowers the standard of the competition for those who remain . That means the recruiters will increasingly discount what young guys do in the competition when looking for recruits. More young guys will leave to play VFL/SANFL. That does our club footy no good at all. Looking at all the delisted Tasmanian players who could return & keep the standard of the TSL up, how many did came back? 1?

The fact that so few guys now come down or return from interstate to play or coach means Tasmanian football doesnt keep up with the professional thinking in the game. That leads to stagnation in playing standards & training techniques. When you think that respected senior VFL guys like Devine, Bingley, Hudson, Olsson etc came down & coached here. Then more lately we saw players like Weideman, Bennett, McCarthy, Hamilton & others who had VFL/AFL experience. Lesser standard of players dont even bother coming here now. Its a sad statement of how far backwards we've gone relative to other state leagues.

I believe we need a state league, but if it cant keep the best players & attract some from interstate, then we're wasting our time. An 8 team competition, given a proper level of support somewhere near what NEAFL clubs get, would help keep the standard up.

If he had been sacked 12 months ago, yes. Now, with all the changes for no apparent reason and the further erosion of confidence in the concept (as well as the people) it must be in doubt.
But a state league is vital if Tassie is to have any footy credibility at all - as is the removal of Wade and Baker. Whoring ourselves out to another state again, a la the Devils, is not an option.
Maybe a Bass Strait league, with the more stable TSL clubs and some VFL ones, but not state v suburb. That was really an indictment on where Tassie was at.

Getting another state league going again was a good idea, maybe the only one this mob have ever had, but the whole thing has been handled disastrously since before day one.

If he had been sacked 12 months ago, yes. Now, with all the changes for no apparent reason and the further erosion of confidence in the concept (as well as the people) it must be in doubt.
But a state league is vital if Tassie is to have any footy credibility at all - as is the removal of Wade and Baker. Whoring ourselves out to another state again, a la the Devils, is not an option.
Maybe a Bass Strait league, with the more stable TSL clubs and some VFL ones, but not state v suburb. That was really an indictment on where Tassie was at.

Getting another state league going again was a good idea, maybe the only one this mob have ever had, but the whole thing has been handled disastrously since before day one.

Currently many of the clubs are obviously struggling. The reasons are many. poor crowds, gutting clubs strength by forcing reserves out. Many of whom have friends & family who supported the club, they too have gone. Poor economy limiting sponsorship. Uneven support of clubs, allowing some clubs to unfairly attract the few good players that are about, where others cannot.

I have always agreed with a state league. But it has to be run sensibly & with fairness. Wade & AFLTas have proven over the years to be incompetent. They are clearly biased towards some clubs as well. Some may call it downright cheating. Talk about 'governance' they wouldnt know it if it bit them on the arse.

The changes they have made to the TSL 2 have been fast, frequent, variable, some are just illogical. Many of the clubs, volunteers & the public just cant keep up. How do you rearrange your whole club structure & business model to suit the rapid fire changes that have been thrown at the clubs? Unless of course you get the extra funding:rolleyes:. Its easy to follow the Clarence & Burnie model if you get the money too!

If they would just settle on some agreed model & Bloody stay with it for more than 5 minutes. That would help. Even out the funding to allow an even competition. Aim to increase the salary cap. A player quality cap might help even things fairly. The basketball & now local soccer are doing it to stop the richer clubs buying success. But you still have to attract & support the players at the TSL level.

I've always favoured an 8 team comp to keep the standard up. I just hope they dont try the failed AFL/VFL reserve team model. ie a senior state comp & play reserves in local regional clubs. It dont work boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back