Mega Thread Get Stuffed McGuire The Swans Bigfooty Podcast (All Eddie angst, rants go in here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny how Eddie only gives a * about the poor struggling clubs of Melbourne when using them suits his argument. When it comes to equalisation Eddie is actively trying to make sure the big clubs pay less tax to help the poor ones.

His hysterics have reached a absurd level now.

600 father-sons? academy destroying the game LOL!

Just drumming up as much support for the decrease in academy discount to 10% probably. Then after Mills we go ... No dramas AFL you pay for it, btw eddie that is higher taxes for pies again you douchecanoe.

cant wait till they bend the rules for us to have a 600 player squad. (you know cos the afl love to help the swans :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
A good friend of the Swans board, Joe Moore, used the hashtag #boredofmcguire on Twitter in response to these latest comments. Now that's a social media campaign I could get behind.

Surely nobody is dumb enough to believe this crap i fear for humanity if they lap it up.

Heeney comes along and academies are going to destroy the game? what about the previous years?

Im sick of this crap.

I don't post a lot on here but I feel the need to have a bit of a vent.

The scary thing is that people actually do believe it. I've had countless people relay Eddie's 'facts' to me like they are the new gospel. I try and not get angry and tell myself that they are coming from uneducated football fans that have no idea what they are talking about but sometimes it's hard not to let emotion take over. I am sick and tired of this fat pr*ck sprouting off every time that there's some sort of movement with the Swans.

The biggest problem I have with it is that it takes away from the great work we have done in the last 10-15 years. To say we've achieved everything we have with a bigger salary cap, the academies and 'constant' hand outs from the AFL is just down right disrespectful.

Why are all the Magpie & Hawks weeping epic tears on changes to F/S v's academies when Eddie & Newbold were the ones to propse the changes?
"Collingwood president Eddie McGuire and Hawthorn counterpart Andrew Newbold have publicly urged AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan to change the bidding system for academy and father-son players."

Thought I'd resurrect this little thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if he realises he sounds like an absolute babbling nutter these days.

Not to mention being a giant ********.

"I don't care if it's Sydney or Brisbane..." - yeah you do Eddie.

As a Pies supporter I really wish he would STFU on this and work through the proper channels like other club presidents who do not have a media soap box.

No one denies the game needs to be developed in the Northern states, the academies seem to be a good idea. I think the execution of it is flawed as it should not be run by a club(s), it should be run and funded by the AFL. Any players would then just go into the draft and not be tied to a club. The only exceptions I would make would be for GWS and GC as they do not have access to father sons and will not for a number of years, as such they should be allowed to take players fom the academy for a fair price.

A logical argument is better than the hysterical rantings of a media mouth piece who is becoming very, very tiring.

Agree with the first part of your post, but the reason why the academies were set up this way is because previous AFL initiatives to increase the talent pool in NSW and Queensland, such as the scholarship scheme, have been less than successful.

The academies needed to be tied to the clubs, at least in their early stages, to provide a clear pathway for aspiring young players to play AFL in their home state. Remember that for many, the Swans are the AFL in Sydney, and even then, in many areas of Sydney we are competing with soccer and the rugby codes for players who are still very new to AFL and haven't grown up with the game, so we are already at a disadvantage. The lure of getting drafted by an AFL club simply doesn't mean as much as it does to a kid growing up in Victoria who would be willing to go anywhere for a shot at an AFL career. That's why we had to give the NSW and QLD clubs priority access.

I don't really have a problem with making the bidding process fairer. If an Academy player would have been a top 10 draft pick, I don't mind paying a price closer to market value.

Apart from that, I think you're spot on, Eddie's hysterical ranting is becoming extremely tiring.

What was said by McGuire was less intelligible than the arguments of a few of the worst on the main board here on bigfooty, and that is really saying something. 600 father sons. Yeah Ed, but we only have 40 odd spots on a list. So even if we went and changed the whole ******* list, that would leave plenty for everyone else to pick up too wouldn't it? Oh, and what would happen to those top picks from the other states. Yes that's right Ed. The bloke that would have gone at pick 17 is now there for pick 18 because we didn't take him. This is the most stupid thing about the whole argument. Every academy pick we take frees up a talented youngster from elsewhere for someone else.

The bloke is a complete ***** and the weak campaigners at AFL house need to come out and remove him from the "equalisation committee" as he has clearly shown he cannot be level headed when dealing with the situation.

I don't post a lot on here but I feel the need to have a bit of a vent.

The scary thing is that people actually do believe it. I've had countless people relay Eddie's 'facts' to me like they are the new gospel. I try and not get angry and tell myself that they are coming from uneducated football fans that have no idea what they are talking about but sometimes it's hard not to let emotion take over. I am sick and tired of this fat pr*ck sprouting off every time that there's some sort of movement with the Swans.

The biggest problem I have with it is that it takes away from the great work we have done in the last 10-15 years. To say we've achieved everything we have with a bigger salary cap, the academies and 'constant' hand outs from the AFL is just down right disrespectful.
Good post. Completely agree.

You should post more often based on this mate.

We should put him on our board right now!
It is becoming more & more obvious, even to those clubs & people that have been against our CoLA in the past, that we have been dealt with very harshly with the trading ban for breaking no rules. So much so that even the skeptics had said that we must have done something wrong to receive such ban.

NO! WE'VE DONE NOTHING WRONG!

The correlation between the new CEO's arrival, the noise coming from a few Vic club presidents & the penalties & changes made to the rules for the clubs in the northern states is damning. All the work Gillon's predecessors have tried to achieve in helping us to help promote the game in a non traditional AFL state has done a half turn back to where the old dinosaurs were taking us with AFL in NSW years ago.

The difference this time is that the Swans are a more professionally run club than the AFL as a whole & we have proved time & again that we are a mile ahead of anyone else with how we do things within the parameters allowed. The recruiting of Buddy as an example when the rest of the competition was looking the other way.

Would McGuire carry on like this if Demitriou was still here...? he's only putting it on because he knows polo man is piss weak and is likely to cave in to demands.

I'd love to see someone put him in his box live on air. He throws his ill informed mud and then there is no immediate reply to state the true facts and balance the issue

I mean, let get serious Eddie.... are there seriously 600 father sons per year in Sydney...? are there even 600 in total...? and you're sure they can all play.....? and the Swans academy has the capacity to take them all in....? and they'd all opt for Sydney rather than their father club.....? and they'd all fit in a 40 man squad...? each year!? WOW.

He's becoming like Paris Hilton. Any self generated publicity is considered good publicity, even if it just reaffirms that you're a complete knob head.

Would McGuire carry on like this if Demitriou was still here...? he's only putting it on because he knows polo man is piss weak and is likely to cave in to demands.

I'd love to see someone put him in his box live on air. He throws his ill informed mud and then there is no immediate reply to state the true facts and balance the issue

I mean, let get serious Eddie.... are there seriously 600 father sons per year in Sydney...? are there even 600 in total...? and you're sure they can all play.....? and the Swans academy has the capacity to take them all in....? and they'd all opt for Sydney rather than their father club.....? and they'd all fit in a 40 man squad...? each year!? WOW.

He's becoming like Paris Hilton. Any self generated publicity is considered good publicity, even if it just reaffirms that you're a complete knob head.

I think if Demitroiu was still there and eddie was carrying on like this he would bring in a rule saying no CEO's etc can work in media......... so STFU eddie.

I mean he has his own very large soapbox and uses it to advance a single club..... Its hardly fair. I think he personally gets more media attention that a few cellar dwelling clubs. just hi-jacks issues. what a tool. He doesnt want to grow the game he just wanted the pies to win, so they can play the big 4 other profitable VFL clubs.....what a fun comp that would be...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back