Gettable v Tradies

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Two of footys new podcasts talking about the trade/draft scene. Both started at the start of this year, oddly at the around the same time. And I was wondering everyone else’s thoughts?

Gettable- Cal Twomey and Riley beveridge.

Covers more the draft scene, as cal is all over it. Normally has a list manger/ draftee on for an interview. Interviews can be a little boring as they normally give generic answers and give away little as possible. I feel as if Cal and Riley hold back a bit on what they say. Not sure if it’s because they are connected to the AFL.com

Tradies- Mitch Cleary and Sam McClure
Has a few good segments. Nuts and bolts is one I personally find interesting. Where they discuss a trade and what went on behind the scenes. I feel as if they don’t hold back and say what they hear. I really like mitch, can’t say the same about sam tho. Although I can bear him on this podcast somehow. The start and finish of this podcast is pretty weird but overall good podcast if you can look past Sams smugness!

Gettable is so dry, I find Twomey really dull. He's a good footy mind and always has reasonable insight but he always potters along in second gear.
I don't think he and Beveridge are interesting, and that's a hard listen for me. As far as footy content goes it's OK, but there's little else to go with.

Tradies' dynamic is fun, and the quality of the show is better for podcasting/radio, but goes for too long. I don't really think there's enough footy trades content to go into an hour show - so much fluff and empty air. McClure gives every intention of leaning into the whole 'Scoop' nickname, he can come off as pretentious and smug but it works next to Cleary's straight man. McClure taking the piss out of Mitch is entertaining, he takes it in good humour and it doesn't sound forced. I really like the nuts and bolts/journo-craft stuff, McClure's yarn on how the Neale trade went down last week was genuinely outstanding listening.

I've listened to them both since they started. Both are pretty good.

The 'Tradies' podcast has almost no news in it at all but it is probably more entertaining. Some of the old stories about how trades came together can be quite interesting, but Sam McClure's nonsense can really wear you down. Usually about the first 10 minutes is spent crapping on about what they did on the weekend or movies that 99% of the population has seen, which is rarely as funny as what McClure seems to think it is.

There is more news around contract signings and other information in Gettable, but it can be a bit dull outside of that. I like the interviews with the list managers and they ask good questions. The interviews with the player agents (sound like used-car salesman) and the draftees are really boring though.

I don't like how gettable uploads content to podcasts. Not as easy as it should be to listen to the main episode. They post interviews that are part of the main episode that hasn't come out. So then you hear the same thing twice. Same with rising star. Or atleast they have in the past at times. Either way, could be streamlined. Main episode then throughout the week release snippets until the next main episode like everyone else. 3ven just giving the main episode a number like ep 12 etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back