Gift giving

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
How often do you guys give gifts? I don't know if it's just me, my demographic, or Aussie culture but I rarely give them. Wedding - OK. Birthday of significant other - OK. SO/immediate family during Christmas - OK, but not always.

That's it. I don't give my buddies gifts. I'll usually just buy them a drink on their birthday. Definitely nothing for them during Christmas. And other than a birthday I don't think we have many holidays where a gift is really appropriate.

Pretty much as above, don't expect or particularly want them back either. In fact my gift from my SO is usually an "IOU" until I find something I want during the year and she buys it for me.

Mum, Dad get birthday/Christmas presents.

Nephew/niece get presents birthday/Christmas, probably until they're 18

Any SO will get birthday + Christmas, and taken out for dinner any other nights considered special.

That's it. When in our group of mates the level of money is hugely different between some people, I think there's an unspoken agreement that it would be unfair to all start shelling out on gifts for each other - shout a beer and the gift will be an enjoyable night

I have it pretty sweet - I don't buy any Xmas presents for anyone, and I normally don't get any back (Mum still tends to give a small gift, but she knows that I wont be buying anything)

My brother and I pretty much decided a few years ago that we wanted 'out' of xmas and the gift exchanging part. It's been pretty good too -

Birthdays and stuff, well if I'm out with them on the day, I'll buy them a drink or something...

There are small exceptions but normally for extenuating circumstances. Our house plays poker every now and then. We used these plastic offcuts for chips that we had lying around the house that were perfect. One night we went to play poker again and we couldn't find the bloody box!? We literally searched the whole house and couldn't find them, it was very frustrating (we suspect an old housemate who used to 'clean' the house a lot threw them out, she would move alot of s**t around without telling people... by this night she was overseas so we blamed her.. ha!)

anyway, a couple of days later it was one of the housemate's birthday and I just decided to order some actual poker chips online for us to use and ended up giving it to him as his birthday gift... If we hadn't have lost those other chips, I wouldn't have got him anything... it just happened to be a timed right in that sense...

anyway.. it sounds many people are on the same kind of wavelength for the most part...

I have it pretty sweet - I don't buy any Xmas presents for anyone, and I normally don't get any back (Mum still tends to give a small gift, but she knows that I wont be buying anything)

Pretty much the same.

As for gifts, I honestly dont want anything. When it's my birthday I'll always "treat" myself to something nice like a new bag or new earrings, whatever. Giving gifts, when I do/did I always put in a lot of thought and effort (i think). Probably the best present was a scuba diving course to my ex-bf. He absolutely loved it, could not ****ing shut up about it, lol. Also another one was skydiving in Byron Bay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like to buy non occasion gifts. It's much nicer to give someone something when they aren't expecting it.

That's very nice of you gough... which reminds me again of my ex. His birthday was on Christmas Day, so some random day thru out the year I'd give him another present instead of doing the old "combination" xmas/birthday presents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back