Giro d'Italia 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks a ripper of a route! Mountain TT is the toughest in recent memory, 9 mountain top finishes and some absolute brute stages. Plenty for the sprinters too.

Also replay of the key stage that got rained/snowed off from this years edition.

This is up there with the psychotic 2011 route (before it was altered). Looks an absolute beast with the Zoncolan thrown in for good measure

No one does it like the Giro

Anyone know if there is any strade bianche on the route?

This is up there with the psychotic 2011 route (before it was altered). Looks an absolute beast with the Zoncolan thrown in for good measure

No one does it like the Giro

Anyone know if there is any strade bianche on the route?

In Tyler Hamilton's book he said the Giro is also more difficult due to the roads being more narrow than that of Spain or France.

Richie Porte wants to be Sky's leader for this race. Interesting to see if he gets his wish with Froome losing one of his TDF domestiques from this year.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cycling/richie-porte-eyes-giro-ditalia-glory-20131025-2w7ms.html

"Obviously the big goal for me next year is the Giro. I haven't really sat down and talked to the team about it but I think it's the next step for me," Porte said during a publicity event in Saitama near Tokyo on Friday.
"They want to develop me into a Grand Tour racer and that's hopefully going to be my first big opportunity to lead a team.

"But come July I want to be there in England for the start (of the Tour de France). I do think I can do a good Giro and come out and be good in the mountains and help Chris (Froome) there."

what?
Cycling Central just announced that SBS will be showing every stage of the Giro LIVE!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
What?
Ch 9 won't be focusing on cycling?
Great news

What? It's always been on SBS.
I think it's a reference to Nein stealing the rights to the Tour Down Under, which was broadcast on SBS prior to 2013. Thankfully none of the commercial stations have shown any interest in the European races, probably because they're all outside of prime time and don't attract a significant audience (other than, maybe, the TdF).

Note that SBS recently signed an agreement with ASO, who own the rights to the TdF, Paris-Nice, and most of the one day classics, giving them exclusive rights for the next 10 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's a reference to Nein stealing the rights to the Tour Down Under, which was broadcast on SBS prior to 2013. Thankfully none of the commercial stations have shown any interest in the European races, probably because they're all outside of prime time and don't attract a significant audience (other than, maybe, the TdF).

Note that SBS recently signed an agreement with ASO, who own the rights to the TdF, Paris-Nice, and most of the one day classics, giving them exclusive rights for the next 10 years.
exactly. Made me cringe a bit watching Down Under

This starts in 5 days. If anyone is willing to do a quick write up of stages then let me know. I'm happy to do one big pre-race write up and I'll add in stage maps and profiles too if need be, but I'm not too keen on doing the stage write ups as I probably won't be watching this live.

So this will be my first Giro after years of watching Le Tour. A couple of questions

Stage 12 - A 42 kms time trial, is that really long for an ITT? I can't remember ever seeing one that long in any Tour i've watched?, also it seems like Stage 16, 19 and 20 are keys, dat last climb on 20, is that an average of 12%? Jesus...

Edit: Is it Quintana V Cadel V Porte? Who else is in the hunt?

Last edited:
So this will be my first Giro after years of watching Le Tour. A couple of questions

Stage 12 - A 42 kms time trial, is that really long for an ITT? I can't remember ever seeing one that long in any Tour i've watched?, also it seems like Stage 16, 19 and 20 are keys, dat last climb on 20, is that an average of 12%? Jesus...

Porte pulled out a couple of weeks ago. Will now be focusing on helping Froome in the TdF - and may get a shot at the Vuelta as well.

Looks like Quintana vs Cadel to me.

42kms isn't huge for an ITT. Sometimes you'll see an ITT as the "prologue" which is under 10km, and that' just to really decide the jersey wearers.

You're right about the significant stages. Stage 16 climbs the Stelvio, which is the highest climb in the Giro. You probably won't see any of the contenders really going for it here though as it is too far from the end of the stage. It will certainly weed out a few of the domestiques though. Stage 19 is an uphill ITT, so yes it will be important, but any half decent climber shouldn't lose too much time here. Stage 20 will be the absolute decider IMO. Finishing on top on the Zoncolan will be epic, no questions.

There are plenty of contenders, however the 42km time trial will hurt riders like Basso, Scarponi and especially Rodriguez. Just at a quick look the three best credentialed riders are Evans, Froome and Uran. They can all climb and can all time trial well. I really think the time trial will cause too much of a time loss for guys like Rodriguez, Quintana and Scarponi. Hesjedal is one to look out for, and Kiserlovski could be the surprise packet.

:D

Are SBS taking the eurosport commentary feed? i hope so, love dave harmon and sean kelly

Last edited:
Giro d'Italia 2014 preview.

The first grand tour of the season, heck yes! The Giro d'Italia is generally a quite tough race, and this year is no different. There are some massive climbs, a nice long ITT, an uphill ITT...and that's just in the second half of the race :eek: This year promises to be a very good race, finely balanced between great climbers who can time trial, and great time trialists who can climb. The lack of Froome, Contador and Wiggins leaves this race wide open, and should mean we see the super climbers really attacking when they get their chance.

Riders to watch; Where to start? The two favourites would undoubtedly be Nairo Quintana and Joaquim Rodriguez, The only issue (especially with J-Rod) is their time trialling ability is not amongst the best in the world. Cadel Evans would be classed as the best "all-rounder" (as in can climb and time trial), however age could be getting the best of him. This will probably be the last GT he will lead, and he has set himself to really gun for this race, so he might just get it done. After those three, we have a mixture of old timers who have done it all before (Basso, Scarponi, Cunego and Sanchez come to mind) as well as newcomers looking to stamp their authority (think Majka, Poels, Pinot and Aru). Looking at the teams as an overall picture, Movistar and Astana have the two strongest teams. Oh, and there is also Ryder Hesjedal, who has won the race before. It was a bit of a surprise then, and I'd say it will be another surprise if he wins it again.

As far as the points classification goes, Marcel Kittel, on paper, looks to be the quickest man. But will he even finish the race? Elia Viviani, Ben Swift and Michael Matthews are all capable of winning on a flat stage, as well as getting through the mountains well enough to survive until the end of the race. Rodriguez and Quintana will also be gaining a lot of points on the tough stages, so they're in with a shot too. I'll still say that Kittel will win though.

My tip: Geez, it really is a tough race to pick this time. I'll go with Nairo Quintana though. His team is strong enough that he shouldn't lose much time on the TTT, and that might just be enough to pip J-Rod at the post come Trieste.

We will have 2 races. The teams not in hunt for GC will have stages 1-11 to compete for TV time for their sponsors. I think OGE will get a few wins and spend some time in pink. Kittel is quickest but needs it flat and straight - not many of those finishes here. Ben Swift has been riding well without much help from Sky teamies and is due for a stage win.
Will be plenty of Italians wanting to get in the early weeks' breakaways, it will be interesting which teams take responsibility for chasing them down. I doubt it will be GC contenders, more likely sprinter's teams. Teams like OGE will be keen to move peloton along at a handy clip to try and drop Kittel on climbs or in cross-winds. It won't be boring.

Race for GC starts with ITT at stage 12. I think Evans has set himself for this and will probably take it out - probably his last hurrah and in the country he will live in for much of his post-racing life. He will give it everything. This Giro has opened up for him like the TDF did in 2011 with most of the riders who would beat him absent. I don't think Rodriquez will be able to exploit the steepest climbs in week 3 enough to give him a gap over Evans, and I think Quintana will do well in a few stages, but could have a few bad days elsewhere due to inexperience. Uran I think will pop up in week 3 and perhaps get to podium. Evans will ride defensively and have "least number of bad days" - the longer and steeper ITTs will help him also.

Looking forward to it - should be good viewing on SBS for first time.

Just finished watching the stage, having recorded it (rather than staying up for the 2:30am start).

OGE were the second team off the line and quickly set the standard. They set the fastest time at the intermediate time check and were fastest across the line. Neither time would be beaten all day.

The rain started coming down as OGE hit the second half of the course. The early teams benefited from a dry track (including OGE). The middle teams all suffered from riding on wet roads. Fortunately the rain stopped and the roads had largely dried out by the time BMC hit the road.

Movistar had a reasonably good race, putting Quintana in a good place. Katusha had an absolute stinker, finishing 38 seconds down on Movistar, putting Purito in a very bad position. I just can't see him making that time up on Quintana. He may well have lost the race today.

Garmin Sharp had a catastrophic stage, with 4 riders coming down heavily on a straight stretch of road. Their 6th rider lost his front wheel when it slipped on a manhole cover, taking out all but the leading 5 riders of the team. Worst of all, they lost their lead rider (Dan Martin) with what appeared to be a broken collarbone.

BMC were the 4th last team to depart, which turned out to be a good thing, as the roads were largely dry by the time they started. They went through the first time check in 2nd place, 8 seconds down on OGE. They increased the pace in the second half, where most of the teams ahead of them had lost plenty of time. In the end they crossed the line just 7 seconds behind OGE. This was a perfect result for Cuddles. He's 48 seconds up on Quintana and 1:26 ahead of Purito, but without the pressure of having to defend the pinkl jersey.

Omega Pharma Quickstep were the surprise packets, going through the intermediate time check just 2 seconds behind BMC (10 seconds behind OGE). They maintained this margin all the way to the final corner. Somehow they managed to find a turbo boost as they sprinted up the finishing straight, pulling out 4 seconds, to finish 2nd overall - just 5 seconds behind OGE and 2 seconds ahead of BMC.

Svein Tuft, OGE's Canadian rider, took the pink jersey on his 37th birthday. With Kittel 56 seconds down (and thus unable to take advantage of time bonuses), OGE should be able to hold the lead for several stages, until the first of the mountain stages looms on the horizon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back