Player Watch Giselle Davies - Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Standing at 180cm, Davies will look to further her development as a tall defender when she joins the Swans next year.
Sydney secured the services of Giselle Davies from the Gold Coast Suns, in exchange for pick 55

Exciting signing! I don't know much about Giselle but we're clearly strengthening our KPP depth which is an area of definite need. Great positives about Giselle are that she is young (still only 20 yo) and tall (180 cm). Like with the signing of Kiara Hillier, we are building for the long term as much as the now and I love that. We're backing in our systems and our coaches to develop this talent.

And presumably both Hillier and Davies have shown enough so far in their nascent careers for us to have reasonable confidence that they can succeed at AFLW level long term thereby justifying us coughing up our draft picks for them, and valueing them more than the player we could have gotten at the same pick (with the additional benefit of them having some extra experience and development). Conversely, the fact that both players were gettable, and relatively cheaply, suggests that their former club was not desperate to hang onto them.

Giselle has 3 footy playing sisters (including one at Gold Coast and, positively, one in Sydney - at GWS).

Another thing I like about this signing, is that I didn't hear a whisper about it until the completed deal was being announced.

Interestingly, the Suns have now traded out or delisted 8 players but so far only brought one in. They are expected to trade one more in and one more out. Does that mean they are going to draft 7??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back