Global energy crisis unfolding

Remove this Banner Ad

It's all trending in the same direction regardless, the EU are sabotaging their own energy independence and security, we should learn and learn quickly from their mistakes.
If EU is reliant on gas from russia then they have zero energy independence and security. Cutting off russia and moving to locally produced renewables is giving europe energy security and independence.

is this what you are advocating? We cut off all petrol imports and produce all our own fuel say with solar power and gas based hydorgen?

I wonder how high fuel prices would go if Russian energy sources were cut off to western nations?

We are about to find out:

Germany’s decision to halt the Nord Stream 2 gas pipelines from Russia prompted praise from its allies, and an ominous threat from Moscow.
Two hours after the announcement, Dmitry Medvedev, the deputy head of President Vladimir Putin’s security council, warned Europeans that their gas prices would double “very soon”.

Medvedev’s threat that European gas prices would exceed euros €2000 ($3100) per 1000 cubic metres, a little over twice their present level, was anything but idle.

Germany gets just over half its gas from Russia, by way of the original Nord Stream pipeline under the Baltic, the Yamal pipeline through Belarus and Poland and the Transgas network through Ukraine and central Europe.

Until now German consumers have been shielded from the turmoil on the European gas exchanges by their energy suppliers’ contracts with Russia.

Last week Putin noted Russia’s commitment to “honouring” these contracts had suppressed prices to between a fifth and a third of the normal market rate. The implicit threat was a huge increase in energy bills if Berlin misbehaved: Moscow could renege on the contracts or further constrain the flow of gas to the West.

I guess that’s why petrol prices are going up … 🧐
Prices are going up cos its a global market. But if it turns to a regional market prices will collapse in net exporting regions such as the usa which will have excess supply. They are fine. US petrol prices are some of the cheapest in the world. We on the otherhand are likely to be screwed.

I guess that’s why petrol prices are going up … 🧐
We've lost a lot of refining capacity in recent years, so are reliant on Singapore for out refined energy needs.
The crude oil price in Singapore (SGD OIL) is a far better price to watch then Brent or Texas prices.

We've lost a lot of refining capacity in recent years, so are reliant on Singapore for out refined energy needs.
The crude oil price in Singapore (SGD OIL) is a far better price to watch then Brent or Texas prices.

It’s amazing how wars are now paid for at the bowser… I wonder if there is a link?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:thumbsu: I was more interested in the Russia/US oil supply. I try to stay away from US politics more generally but any sanction by Biden will open the door to Putin to retaliate as & when it suits Russia.

Prices are going up cos its a global market. But if it turns to a regional market prices will collapse in net exporting regions such as the usa which will have excess supply. They are fine. US petrol prices are some of the cheapest in the world. We on the otherhand are likely to be screwed.

I've thought the US was self sufficent in oil/petrol, WRONG !!

'Russia is one of the world’s largest oil producers. According to the 2021 BP Statistical Review of World Energy, in 2020 Russia produced 10.1 million barrels per day (BPD) of crude oil and natural gas condensate. That was good for second place behind the U.S. at 11.3 million BPD. Saudi Arabia was third at 9.3 million BPD.

However, the U.S. also consumes far more oil (17.2 million BPD) than Russia (3.2 million BPD) or Saudi Arabia (3.5 million BPD). The net result is that the U.S. is a net importer of crude oil, while Russia and Saudi Arabia are major crude oil exporters.

This also means that the U.S. economy is more vulnerable to oil price shocks, while higher oil prices are a net benefit to Russia and Saudi Arabia. Various talking heads have suggested that there will be a $5-$20 premium on oil prices if Russia invades Ukraine.'

Putin 1 Biden 0
nut 10 Kwality 0

Have you seen how much land that is covere by fracking and oil wells in Canada and the US …. I stumbled on some wells on google earth in Canada … it’s sickening … unless you like that sought of thing.

200,000 wells in Canada !!!!

Almost a million in the USA!!! FMD.

Connected to the coming energy crisis is the world food price index is at or very soon to be at record highs. The energy it takes to mine minerals connected to tech, which is gonna get us out of this crisis, is also increasing as easy deposits dry up leaving for the most part only energy intensive deposits left.

Connected to the coming energy crisis is the world food price index is at or very soon to be at record highs. The energy it takes to mine minerals connected to tech, which is gonna get us out of this crisis, is also increasing as easy deposits dry up leaving for the most part only energy intensive deposits left.
I dont agree with your assessment on minerals:

Australia is well positioned to benefit from the rise of critical minerals, according to the federal government’s Outlook for Selected Critical Minerals Australia 2021 report. .....the report detailed the prospect for market growth in metals such as lithium, cobalt, graphite, vanadium, and rare earth elements like neodymium, praseodymium and dysprosium

The report credited Lynas Rare Earths – an Australian mid-tier mining company – for being the largest non-Chinese supplier of rare earth products.
“Australia’s mined production of rare earths is forecast to grow by 9.1 per cent per annum over the outlook period (2020-2030), largely as a result of investment by Lynas at their Mount Weld operation,” the report stated.

“Australia is already the world’s top producer of lithium, and the Government’s Critical Minerals Facilitation Office is supporting the development of other resources, downstream processing, and helping to diversify global supply chains,......”

The Rare Earths Processing Facility will process rare earth concentrate from the Mt Weld mine to produce a rare earth carbonate for export.

Lynas are a growth stock:
February 25, 2022 - Australian Resources & Investment/lynas-profit-soars-on-rare-earths-demand/

Last edited:
I dont agree with your assessment on minerals:

Australia is well positioned to benefit from the rise of critical minerals, according to the federal government’s Outlook for Selected Critical Minerals Australia 2021 report. .....the report detailed the prospect for market growth in metals such as lithium, cobalt, graphite, vanadium, and rare earth elements like neodymium, praseodymium and dysprosium

The report credited Lynas Rare Earths – an Australian mid-tier mining company – for being the largest non-Chinese supplier of rare earth products.
“Australia’s mined production of rare earths is forecast to grow by 9.1 per cent per annum over the outlook period (2020-2030), largely as a result of investment by Lynas at their Mount Weld operation,” the report stated.

“Australia is already the world’s top producer of lithium, and the Government’s Critical Minerals Facilitation Office is supporting the development of other resources, downstream processing, and helping to diversify global supply chains,......”

The Rare Earths Processing Facility will process rare earth concentrate from the Mt Weld mine to produce a rare earth carbonate for export.

Lynas are a growth stock:
February 25, 2022 - Australian Resources & Investment/lynas-profit-soars-on-rare-earths-demand/

Australia is in a decent enough position i agree.

Australia is in a decent enough position i agree.

That position is becoming more important by the day.

COMMODITIES NEWS
FEBRUARY 2, 2021
The U.S. Department of Defense on Monday said it has awarded $30.4 million to Australia’s Lynas Rare Earths Ltd to build a Texas facility for processing specialized minerals used to make weapons, electronics and other goods.

China is the world’s largest producer of rare earth minerals and has threatened to stop their export to the United States, fueling a push inside the U.S. government to boost domestic production.

The Pentagon’s award will fund construction of a facility to process so-called light rare earths, the most-common type of rare earths, commonly found in consumer goods such as cellular phones.

'Russia’s attack on Ukraine is redrawing the world’s energy map, ushering in a new era in which the flow of fossil fuels is influenced by geopolitical rivalries as much as supply and demand.
Over the past half-century, oil and natural gas have moved with relative freedom to the markets where they commanded the highest prices around the world. That ended abruptly when Russian tanks rumbled across the Ukraine border on February 24, triggering a barrage of trade sanctions by the US and Europe targeting Russia that have plunged global commerce into disarray.

During the past week, the European Union agreed to its toughest sanctions yet on Russia, banning imports of its oil and blocking insurers from covering its cargoes of crude.

Whatever new order emerges won’t be fully clear for years to come. But traders, diplomats and other experts in energy geopolitics generally agree that it will be more Balkanized, and less free-flowing, than what the world has seen since the end of the Cold War.

Three likely axes of energy influence are emerging: the US and other Western nations, which have used their massive economic and purchasing power as a political weapon; China and large emerging nations such as India, Turkey and Vietnam, which have rebuffed Western pressure and continued doing business with Russia; and Saudi Arabia and other Middle Eastern oil-producing nations, which have sought to maintain neutrality, and may stand to gain market share in the years to come.

.... Europe can never again trust Russia to be its primary energy provider, and that even if sanctions are lifted, countries are proposing costly new infrastructure and endorsing long-term alternative supply contracts that will lock in the new energy map.'

'The new order promises to make the energy trade less efficient and more expensive, potentially putting commodities at the centre of the next global economic crisis, said Zoltan Pozsar, a former official at the Treasury Department who now heads short-term interest-rate strategy at Credit Suisse Group AG.

A German embargo of Russian crude would likely mean that instead of Russian oil reaching Hamburg in a week or two, it would take several months to travel to China, he noted. Conversely for Middle Eastern oil, the embargo would trigger a longer voyage to Europe for crude that would have ordinarily gone to Asia. Such inefficiencies will drive up the costs of shipping, insurance, and financing that underpin the energy trade, he said.'

As the world energy map is redrawn Australia has the pieces for energy security, but coal is central to that security, IF energy minister Madeline King has her way:Labor backs coal to fix power crisis

Fortunately Ms King from WA so is free of partisan State bias when addressing the east coast power fiasco, that is wearing the decisions to run down coal generation ahead of renewables capacity to meet requirements.

China has utilised Twitter and Facebook accounts posing as Americans to undermine Australian rare earths company Lynas Rare Earths, according to a report in the Washington Post.

The authoritative newspaper said China was utilising social media propaganda accounts that previously criticised Hong Kong protesters to attack a rare earths processing facility Lynas is constructing in Texas, partially funded by the US government.

According to the cybersecurity firm Mandiant, the accounts posed as Texans including one user named ‘Cox Teri’.

Purporting to be an environmentalist, Cox Teri said in one post: “LYNAS dumps toxic and radioactive waste, radioactive waste that affects lives, livelihoods, the environment and health of future generations.”

Lynas operates the Mt Weld mine in Western Australia, is building new processing facilities at Kalgoorlie, WA and operates a metals production plant in Malaysia.

The metals produced are essential for the production of high tech products such as electric motors, touch screens and computer memories, but have been attacked in Malaysia for their production of radioactive by-products.

Lynas is by far he biggest producer of rare earths outside China.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back