2nds Gold Coast Reserves: Title Defense 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Joel is our best player in the twos. Most of our attacks forward is due to his ball use.

And we’re trying new people in the middle, like Long annd Farrar etc. which I like. Has probably helped swing the game a bit our way.

Lloyd Johnston playing forward too. Clearly trying to find our next small forward and rotating magnets. He’s looked pretty good there this quarter for his first trial.

Joel is our best player in the twos. Most of our attacks forward is due to his ball use.

And we’re trying new people in the middle, like Long annd Farrar etc. which I like. Has probably helped swing the game a bit our way.

Has been in the top 3 for the last few weeks. I reckon there would be a bit of internal frustration starting to build.

And he is one of the few with that high ceiling of improvement still ahead of him.

Davies goal late in the fourth to put us in front! We've been behind almost all day. Can we hold on?

Just a thought. No Ethan Read playing in this game. Is it possible that Dimma will put Read straight back into the firsts next week after a week off? He seems to like the idea of getting as many games into the draftees as possible so it's possible he'll just skip the VFL and go straight back in for the QClash.

That’s an ugly win

77a292bf7292fe1b1d1d9d3a79a973e4.jpg

Thought the game was done after that Levi 50m, but lads held on.
Just a thought. No Ethan Read playing in this game. Is it possible that Dimma will put Read straight back into the firsts next week after a week off? He seems to like the idea of getting as many games into the draftees as possible so it's possible he'll just skip the VFL and go straight back in for the QClash.
No knock on Read, but I hope not. He just doesn’t seem ready yet. Could be wrong, but just don’t see the point when he doesn’t have a clear role in the team and isn’t helping enough in the ruck or forward.

Kid will be good. Let him cook, as they say.

Davies goal late in the fourth to put us in front! We've been behind almost all day. Can we hold on?

He was listed as ‘Managed’ and with Hardwick saying he is going to rest all the kids throughout the year, Id say it’s very likely Read is straight back into the 1’s next week unless Day has a breakout game. :$

Even though he was down last week, it’s currently out of Read, Day, and Levi for the 3rd tall/2nd ruck role so I sure would hope that we are prioritising him until Dimma mixes things up again and brings Luko/Jeffrey forward.

Thought the game was done after that Levi 50m, but lads held on.

No knock on Read, but I hope not. He just doesn’t seem ready yet. Could be wrong, but just don’t see the point when he doesn’t have a clear role in the team and isn’t helping enough in the ruck or forward.

Kid will be good. Let him cook, as they say.
I tend to agree with you, but there are already signs that Dimma views it differently. He's coming out with lines like 'just get them in now' which makes me think he's fully committed to pumping as many games into these high end draftees as possible (assuming they aren't cooked like Read clearly was last week).

I've just got this feeling that Read will probably go straight back into the AFL team next week and that may very well explain the decision to play Day instead of a guy like Jeffrey. Joel is more likely to put forward a performance worthy of keeping him in the team whereas it's almost a guarantee that Day won't, and even if he does he can just use his age against him to justify bringing Read back.

Just a theory. For all I know Read ends up lining up in the VFL next week.

He was listed as ‘Managed’ and with Hardwick saying he is going to rest all the kids throughout the year, Id say it’s very likely Read is straight back into the 1’s next week unless Day has a breakout game. :$

Even though he was down last week, it’s currently out of Read, Day, and Levi for the 3rd tall/2nd ruck role so I sure would hope that we are prioritising him until Dimma mixes things up again and brings Luko/Jeffrey forward.
That's what I'm thinking. The Day selection makes more sense if you look at it from that lense.

I've just got this feeling that Read will probably go straight back into the AFL team next week and that may very well explain the decision to play Day instead of a guy like Jeffrey. Joel is more likely to put forward a performance worthy of keeping him in the team whereas it's almost a guarantee that Day won't, and even if he does he can just use his age against him to justify bringing Read back.
I really hope we are not choosing Day because he is easier to drop the week after... That would be a terrible choice and just sends a bad message to players at all levels.

We should be picking teams to win games now if we are serious about finals.

Anyway, from today, Joel deserves a call-up. He could be our half-back distributor instead of Luko or Flanders pretty easily.

I’ll keep watching for Farrar and Johnston, as I have a soft spot for both and I hope they can push for selection at some point.

If that is what's happening then I would be absolutely filthy with Hardwick.
Why put someone into the best 22 who gives a subpar performance just to justify picking who he wants?
What does that tell the people in the 2s? You can play as good as you want but I won't pick you? Legit stupidity.

I really hope we are not choosing Day because he is easier to drop the week after... That would be a terrible choice and just sends a bad message to players at all levels.

We should be picking teams to win games now if we are serious about finals.

Anyway, from today, Joel deserves a call-up. He could be our half-back distributor instead of Luko or Flanders pretty easily.

I’ll keep watching for Farrar and Johnston, as I have a soft spot for both and I hope they can push for selection at some point.
If that is what's happening then I would be absolutely filthy with Hardwick.
Why put someone into the best 22 who gives a subpar performance just to justify picking who he wants?
What does that tell the people in the 2s? You can play as good as you want but I won't pick you? Legit stupidity.
I doubt that's the only reason Day was chosen. We do have a ruck relief issue in that neither Jeffrey or Lukosius can competently play in the ruck (Dimma has tried Luko in the ruck several times this year) and they definitely don't have the body for it either. I'm not saying Day is an amazing ruck, but I think you'd probably get more from him in the ruck when compared to Luko or Jeffrey.

So I think it's more of a like for like situation where Read has clearly been played as a forward who will chop out in the ruck and Day has experience with that as well. Instead of moving several magnets around, you're just asking Day to play a forward/ruck role for one week while Read rests. The idea of dropping Day for Read after one week is just a convenient bonus for Dimma if he wants to keep pumping games into the youngsters.

To be fair, team selection is often positional. You could be a key forward in the reserves for Geelong/Carlton and kick bags week after week but there's still a high chance you're going to be told you can't get in the team ahead of Hawkins + Cameron or Curnow + McKay. Same thing happened to Burgess in his last two seasons for us. There's not a lot Jeffrey can do if Dimma decides that he'd rather have Luko and Flanders playing that role in the AFL team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt that's the only reason Day was chosen. We do have a ruck relief issue in that neither Jeffrey or Lukosius can competently play in the ruck (Dimma has tried Luko in the ruck several times this year) and they definitely don't have the body for it either. I'm not saying Day is an amazing ruck, but I think you'd probably get more from him in the ruck when compared to Luko or Jeffrey.

So I think it's more of a like for like situation where Read has clearly been played as a forward who will chop out in the ruck and Day has experience with that as well. Instead of moving several magnets around, you're just asking Day to play a forward/ruck role for one week while Read rests. The idea of dropping Day for Read after one week is just a convenient bonus for Dimma if he wants to keep pumping games into the youngsters.

To be fair, team selection is often positional. You could be a key forward in the reserves for Geelong/Carlton and kick bags week after week but there's still a high chance you're going to be told you can't get in the team ahead of Hawkins + Cameron or Curnow + McKay. Same thing happened to Burgess in his last two seasons for us. There's not a lot Jeffrey can do if Dimma decides that he'd rather have Luko and Flanders playing that role in the AFL team.

King is more than capable to pinch hit in the ruck. Would bring him in the game more, add some physicality, and potentially help grow his balls a bit.

King is more than capable to pinch hit in the ruck. Would bring him in the game more, add some physicality, and potentially help grow his balls a bit.
King in the ruck? So you want the skinny KPP who is probably showing the least physical presence on the ground to be thrown into one of the most physical positions? I know people want him to 'harden up' but I don't think you can teach the thirst for the physical contest that we see with a guy like Walter. You either have it or you don't.

I'd much rather have Walter pinch hitting in the ruck when compared to King.

I’m guessing the mac andrew ruck trial from pre season isn’t what they had envisaged

King in the ruck? So you want the skinny KPP who is probably showing the least physical presence on the ground to be thrown into one of the most physical positions? I know people want him to 'harden up' but I don't think you can teach the thirst for the physical contest that we see with a guy like Walter. You either have it or you don't.

I'd much rather have Walter pinch hitting in the ruck when compared to King.
Considering King offers absolutely nothing outside of getting goals spoon fed to him, the ruck would be better than nothing. The man gets 7 touches a game. It's not enough.

GCFC def PMFC 12.18.90 to 13.7.85
Disposals: Sexton (33), Jeffery (26), Moyle (24), Ellis (23), Uwland (21)
Goals: Long (3.4), Casboult (3.2), Johnson (2.1), Farrar (2.1), Ellis (1.1), Davies (1.0)
Hitouts: Moyle (35), Casboult (6), Davies (1) to Port Melbourne (21 total)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back