Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

no offense to those who own an r11 it just felt when i was trying it out like i was sitting the ball with a empty can of baked beans on the end of a graphite shaft. had no feel at all and certainly couldn't control it

On the look out for a new putter. Using an Odyssey at the moment. I like the standard/traditional design's. Anyone have any favourite's? Particularly good sites for putters?

yeah, funny you should say that about the r11, i play with a guy who got one and he is about 15 metres longer now, not necessarily straighter though

it has a funny sound, kind of like a clunk rather that a ting.

im sure if you get something as expensive as that, you have to get the right specs in it

R11's are absolute shockers

don't know how they got it so wrong considering the R7 and 9's are fantastic

no offense to those who own an r11 it just felt when i was trying it out like i was sitting the ball with a empty can of baked beans on the end of a graphite shaft. had no feel at all and certainly couldn't control it

yeah, funny you should say that about the r11, i play with a guy who got one and he is about 15 metres longer now, not necessarily straighter though

it has a funny sound, kind of like a clunk rather that a ting.

im sure if you get something as expensive as that, you have to get the right specs in it

Man that R11 S is the biggest pile of dog s**t I have ever hit.. the thudding noise is one thing but feel of the club is utterly disgraceful.. The extra settings are a gimmick of the highest order.. Unless you get the shaft matched to you this club is totally worthless IMO
I have gone back to my Ping G10 and it feels like butter compared to the R11

Has anyone had a putter fitted before? I'm looking at getting a new one (or my first one really, considering the one I've been using all this time was my grandfathers old one) and assume it's best to get one fitted. Rather than just buying one off the shelf?

Has anyone had a putter fitted before? I'm looking at getting a new one (or my first one really, considering the one I've been using all this time was my grandfathers old one) and assume it's best to get one fitted. Rather than just buying one off the shelf?

Getting fitted for a putter is not a bad plan if you are really tall or really short.. If you are in a medium height range just buy one of the rack at 35 inches.. Any professional can give you advice to putter length according to your stance etc. Getting a putter shortened or lengehtend shouldn't cost more than $20 - $30

(Log in to remove this ad.)

in relation to the OP go pick yourself up whatever variant of the 910 that suits you, titleist make the best drivers in the business and the 910 is a real beauty that'll last you for many years

I'm not sure they're gonna last that long. I've had mine a year, and I'm waiting for it to crack. Although I have a swing speed between 115-120 mph and regularly drive 300+ metres.

Driver is a 8.5 degree d3 with Project X heavy shaft, de lofted.

Same series 15 degree 3 wood, and adjust the loft based on course conditions.

you'll actually find that low markers don't change their clubs often, re-shafts and slight adjustments are common but rarely they change their core clubs (irons and driver), it's the 12-20 handicappers who frequently change their clubs thinking that a new set is miraculously going to correct all of their swing errors etc.

Shot problems are almost always swing. Barring flight path and charlies from sloppy shaft, it's almost always swing.

I can hit anything straight. Things I look for are flight path, distance, control, spin, feel. After you've played well with blades though, everything else feels like you're not hitting it clean - even if you are.

I play with Dynacraft plus blades I had set up about 13 years ago.

Still the best things I've ever hit.

2 iron through to SW. Playing with 4 wedges.
The only things I've added is a 52 and 60 degree CG 15 Cleveland gap wedge.
Existing wedges are 48 and 56 degrees. Needed to add as the standard blades have been losing the grooves and spin.

Next year the blades will need a complete rework or replacing - shafts, grips and blade adjustments and regrooving.

Are there any blade sets out there that come with a standard 2 iron? My current set are a beautiful looking blade, and would like to get something similar - the old Mizuno blades are close.

I tried those new Callaway Hex balls on the weekend.

Fantastic to hit - really take off, don't cut up and have the same control as a Titleist ProV1.

I was wondering this. Do they land soft on greens? And spin?

If it's not that expensive, then why not.

What pisses me off is those laser ones you have to aim at the pin.

And it's always the hacks that use them.

brb pulling it out at my home course I've played at for 10+ years
brb taking forever to line it up with the pin
brb telling everyone its 126m to the middle
brb nutting it 10m along the ground

then repeat on the next hole.

Only benefit i can see, is using it on courses you don't play at a lot. Even then I'm not sure you can use it in pennant/comps.

My pet peeve on the course.

:eek::eek:

There is a very good reason that very few people (including pros) carry these anymore.
Hybrids are much, much easier to hit. Especially out of rough.

Do yourself a favour and forget the 2 iron.

I disagree.

Most pros carry a 2 iron and will have in the bag, dependent on the course.

I would always need one, considering I have a high flight path, and have a tendency to hit skyscrapers. Not the best firing woods 250m, 100m high in the wind.

When I was playing at Royal Freo, and regularly shooting below 75, there would only be 2-3 holes I would drive on. The rest were 2 irons off the tee to keep it out of the wind. I can't punch a wood or a hybrid.

And I do the same on the current course when the wind gets up. I also find irons generally easier to play, and to adjust my distance. Great for 2nd shots on long par 5s. But my iron play is by far my strength as well.

They're also better for harder greens. Good luck stopping a hybrid on a concrete like green. Far better off running a 2 or 3 iron onto the green.

Ive always used Taylor made golf balls, but recently tried the new callaway iZ tour ball, its longer and straighter, highly recommend it.

I do like these balls.

But I use Srixon Z Star XV as my stock ball. Pro v1x as my serious comp ball.

Just a 2 piece during the wet season.

I tried those new Callaway Hex balls on the weekend.

Fantastic to hit - really take off, don't cut up and have the same control as a Titleist ProV1.

Nah, they're absolute rubbish as far as I'm concerned.

Really nice flight off the tee, and they aren't effected by wind. Especially going straight into it. Nice feel off the putter.

But spin control is appalling.

I play up here on tropical grass greens which don't back up, and roll out once they dry out.

You have to absolutely rip these balls to get them to stop off your wedges. Can lead to all sorts of problems. I got more spin off my short irons, putting in skyscrapers. To make things worse, they have a low ball flight off the wedge, which adds to the problem. Which is ok if you have greens that back up too much. But not at my course.

Anything from 60 metres in will just roll out. You can't fire in skidding checkers. Same out of the rough. Even from good rough lies. You have to have tight fairway lies. Bunker shots have absolutely no bite.

Chipping control and feel is poor. Absolutely no way you could play these on fast greens or on courses where you'll drain off the greens a lot.

Can't believe these are the same price as ProV's.

You'd only ever want to play these balls if you're playing on velcro greens which are taking too much spin.

Not close to changing my ball choice of XV's and Prov1x's.

went to that taylor made thing at the melbourne golf academy a little while ago.

very interesting to say the least. people who are on here saying that when buying clubs just get something for height are dead wrong.

I was not sure either way whether it was worth it or if it was just a pro trying to make you feel like the clubs were "for you"

after going there, getting golf clubs should be as a personal as getting a cricket bat.

the testing process found that i was toeing my wedges, middling my short to middle irons and heeling my long irons and woods.

it also found that with my putting, i was de-angling the putter face into negative degrees and i had a very heel weighted address.

the clubs it said were best for me were the RBZ from 4-PW, stiff shaft, 1.25cm longer than standard, i hit a few 6 irons with the trackman and needless to say, it said i was bombing these 6 irons, around 165m carry compared to the 150m with my old powerbilts.

it recommended a wedge series of 50-55-60. with the club head tilted 4 degrees upright, stiff shafts and 1.25cm longer than usual.

it recommended the r11s, stiff shaft 10.5deg, weighted in the toe

3 wood and 3 hybrid.

had a hit with all of these and the difference was amazing, the carry on the r11s was near abouts 250m, about 30-40 metres more than my launcher. i was still hitting the same bad shots but they were going a s**t load further.

for my putter, it recommended, a heel shafted putter with 6 deg of loft, the roll i was getting was so much smoother, and i did not need to hit it so hard and it rolled out a lot more.

now the process is biased towards taylor made but if you are at all serious about your golf, get some lessons and get the right clubs, i cant wait to save up enough and upgrade my set.

all that is true and getting fitted is essential but i cant stand those company fitting days.

If you want an objective point of view without the brand bias go down to Total Golf Performance in Oakleigh. Those guys are the best in the business

Sounds good como.

Funk...I was about to post the same thing. Had a fitting done last week and the boys were great, they don't push you into buying anything or getting a specific shaft and also give you advice on your game.

Picked up a Ping K15 driver today, feels great so far. First go out on the course with it tomorrow, hopefully it goes as good as it did at the range!

Need some advice lads. Looking to be kitted out with some new clubs. Want to get a proper fitting done as the clubs I use at the moment were just a cheap set off the rack.

Where is the best place in Melbourne to go for this kind of service?

What's everyones thoughts on the weight of golf balls? Do you rather a lighter or heavier one? Currently I am using just an el-cheapo maxfli one which is really light, but I bought a dozen of some Taylormade balls which seem to be heavier and easier to hit for some reason.

just picked up some RBZ irons, stiff shaft, ultra light steel.

got 10 metres instantly on the 4 through 8, amazing really, just picked up a club in length from getting a new set, if your a mid to high handicapper, have a hit with these, its just amazing the distance it achieves.

popping 7 irons well into the 150 metre mark

Recently picked up some Cleveland CG7s, and used them on Sunday for the first time. Definitely hitting it further with all clubs...very impressed with these, make it feel very easy. Need to find a good wedge now, am told Cleveland make good ones too. Any other recommendations?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back