• Josh Rachele

• James Rowe (sub)

• Lachlan Sholl

• Rory Sloane

• Brodie Smith

• Taylor Walker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

My favourite moment was when Cotchin dropped his knees for a free kick inside their forward 50 but our player tackled low to compensate for his flop, then we go down the other end and score. If you watch the replay look out for it.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I noticed that a few times, Berry, Rochelle and Frampton from memory all managed to do it well.

Maybe tackling training is paying off

yeah and then we played Frampton over him starting 2021. Then he as given 3 games and dropped until the last 5 games. He's never had a good run at it aside from 2020 and then he started to show something. Not saying he'll turn out amazing, but he's always had something about him. Most talls at least need a consistent run at it. He's still only played 32 games.

FWIW I still prefer TT. But an idea might be for Himmelberg to have a good year and maybe generate some trade currency

Or better yet, we've found TT's long term partner.

I’d give him a few cracks in the stoppage rotation before sending him down to the 2s. Apart from Tex, EH, Gollant and McAdam, I’d only select forwards that can have 1 or 2 midfield stints each quarter.
That’s what I thought the plan might have been when we drafted small mids who can kick goals last year. Don’t play traditional small forwards but mids who can rotate and do the same thing, means if a small forward is having a quiet game he can still contribute in the midfield. But nope, our midfield rotations still remain so low and stagnant except for the Rachelle moments.

The fumbles and turnovers come from playing a positive quick style of Footy with a predominantly young side.

As we play this brand more those fumbles and turnovers will decrease.

When you play a style like we are playing now you can recover from those errors easier.

Ben Keays is a great sample of this. He disposal looks awkward and untidy. But when his team names move to the ball, and he moves the ball quick, more often than not it comes off.

You can look at all these errors in isolation in negativity, but the bigger picture is quite positive.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
You can blame the turnovers on the quicker style, but not the fumbles. Some players cope under pressure, others don't. This has nothing to do with the style of play.

Poor position v opponent & poor ability to spoil are problematic for a defender.

I made the same call when we were playing Billy as a forward instead of Berg last year, as Imo Berg has ability, just not sure about his mental toughness... but he is coming good at the moment.

Imo, Frampton does not & will not have the skillset to be a defender. Would prefer we invest games in Murray, Worell or even Borlase at this point. McAsey doesn't warrant selection.

Regardless of his age and how long he’s been around, the only prism you can view Framptons game through is games played - last night was his 21st game of AFL footy.

At 21 games for a key player really you’re just looking for some basic signs that he could be a long term. Then the coaches have to go away and develop him with forward or defensive craft. Should start to see the benefit around 50 games.

Frampton looks to me to have enough bits and pieces there - struggles with his 1/1 body work. That can be taught though. Would be very surprised if the crows don’t get him to 50 now before reassessing.

Just so over Crouch. So slow to move the ball on and when he does, he more often than not makes poor choices. Watching him yesterday ignore good options to move the ball on and instead slows it and make a shit choice was infuriating.

At this stage I’m happy him playing low minutes whilst the coaches come to the realisation that the world doesn’t end when you replace experienced mids with junior mids. And sometimes the midfield can actually be better for it. Shocked to be sitting here too.

Front end looks better with faster ball movement. Even if we don’t possess many great kicks, getting it in quickly gives the guys a chance to beat their opponent. Back end looks better when there’s a bit of pressure applied that slows down oppo forward movement and/or applied direct pressure on the delivery.

We’re 2 from 2 without Sloane in the middle. I’m going to have to watch the replay as I may have got a little tipsy punting and watching the footy on iPad. But from memory Sloane looked worthy up forward. Shame about his knee. At least it’s early in the season, so if it’s ACL, he should be back and working towards a farewell AFL game and a possible Thommo type extension to play in the 2s. But actually focus on developing the kids, not trying to get back in the 1s and going on radio saying how frustrating it is to be in form and not get selected because you finally cracked 25 touches after 6 weeks of footy.
Suddenly some of our kicks don’t look too bad , and yep that run and overlap style when it’s on is great for the forwards

Also wouldn’t mind leading to Dawson , Sholl , Rachele , Cook , Rowe , Laird etc when we are moving the ball like that

Sholl is actually being underrated a bit , having a fantastic season . Great last quarter yesty after a quiet start but has been important in each game

That’s what he does. I can’t remember the play exactly, but I think it was Jones who was running past, just needed the quick give and Jones should have been rewarded for creating the run and option. He ignored Jones and just did his typical long bomb to a contest that went no where.
If we want to play a quicker style & we have a key midfielder who wants to go against the grain, it's going to cause issues...

You can blame the turnovers on the quicker style, but not the fumbles. Some players cope under pressure, others don't. This has nothing to do with the style of play.

Poor position v opponent & poor ability to spoil are problematic for a defender.

I made the same call when we were playing Billy as a forward instead of Berg last year, as Imo Berg has ability, just not sure about his mental toughness... but he is coming good at the moment.

Imo, Frampton does not & will not have the skillset to be a defender. Would prefer we invest games in Murray, Worell or even Borlase at this point. McAsey doesn't warrant selection.
Just 2 weeks ago against Ports in the dying 10 seconds when the pressure could not have been greater - Frampton was clean as a whistle with a critical ground ball take and gets his possession off.

Just 2 weeks ago against Ports in the dying 10 seconds when the pressure could not have been greater - Frampton was clean as a whistle with a critical ground ball take and gets his possession off.
Indeed he was... but if only that was his normal standard we would all be happy.

He also made Marshall look like an All Australian forward.

How has Marshall gone in his other games (& yes I'm aware he wasn't on Marshall for all the goals).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good: Please let this be the spark that gets Jones to catch fire.
Around the ground clearance work is very solid
Rachele gives us that small/half forward dynamic which is amazing
Sholls last quarter
We’re becoming a more trustworthy side, Some poor halves early in the season but solid since.
We have been to the Hawthorn school of being blessed by umpiring last 2 game
Sloane being out will help develop a younger player like Hately or maybe Parnell gets a look (not in flipping Ballarat though Nicks, don’t do that to him, bring in Hately).
We don’t have any superstars dominating to win, which is good. We don’t have any superstars so it works out well 😅

Bad:
Richmond aren’t as good as anyone thinks, Beat GWS who are awful and Bulldogs who kicked 7.19, not a bad thing but we’re not a good side yet.

Centre clearance walkouts for oppo midfields has to be addressed fast.

Ugly:
Gollant sholl and cook, Skinny.
Tom Lynch’s contract.
Frampton isn’t a natural defender, doesn’t push back into the leading lanes hard enough. But he is a good kick and decision maker (with the ball in his hand)

Generally post game analysis includes things you thought were good and things you thought were bad. How fragile would a person have to be to whitewash everything just because their team won.

Not just when we win, complained last week too because we only lost by a kick. Then when we get hammered it’s, “we’re rebuilding, what else do you expect, you wanted to play the kids and now you’re complaining about it. The club just can’t win with you lot”.

After beating a fellow bottom 8 dude at home, of course the job is done and there’s no improvement opportunities worth discussing in a GBU thread. But don’t get me wrong, I was expecting a pasting and that win has me reassessing where we’re going. But surely we can still discuss the B and U in a GB&U thread.

It's been interesting to see what people rate about Frampton's game.

Disposals, meters gained, uncontested work.

That's always where he has looked best. When playing loose, behind the ball, wide, uncontested, handball receives, setting up the play. He was getting 30 touches playing this way in the SANFL.

He struggles with defensive positioning, intercepts, spoils and contested work. The usual things a key position defender needs to be good at.

Time to accept Frampton is a very tall half back flanker and play him as such. If we want his disposal and meters off half back, so be it. Just bring in a player that can play contested on forwards and let Billy do his work on the outside. This would mean dropping a guy like Jones to accommodate him

Indeed he was... but if only that was his normal standard we would all be happy.

He also made Marshall look like an All Australian forward.

How has Marshall gone in his other games (& yes I'm aware he wasn't on Marshall for all the goals).
That was his 19th game of AFL footy. At this point you’re really just an investor. Some of those Marshall goals weren’t his fault - some were. Still needs a lot of work on his 1/1 but you can coach that.

The question you have to ask is there enough there to leave your money on the table and ride out some more good and bad. You can’t coach someone to be Agile 200cm who have quite a few working components - they do not grow on trees I can promise you that - I think the crows will leave their money out there for a while yet

Not just when we win, complained last week too because we only lost by a kick. Then when we get hammered it’s, “we’re rebuilding, what else do you expect, you wanted to play the kids and now you’re complaining about it. The club just can’t win with you lot”.

After beating a fellow bottom 8 dude at home, of course the job is done and there’s no improvement opportunities worth discussing in a GBU thread. But don’t get me wrong, I was expecting a pasting and that win has me reassessing where we’re going. But surely we can still discuss the B and U in a GB&U thread.
For him the Crows are like watching the theatre, no emotional investment just wants to be entertained and if he sees bits of it during a game then that’s enough, he’s got his moneys worth. Whilst others actually want to keep improving so we win a flag and get pissed when the coaches and club make decisions that hurt and then we are classified as negative.

It's been interesting to see what people rate about Frampton's game.

Disposals, meters gained, uncontested work.

That's always where he has looked best. When playing loose, behind the ball, wide, uncontested, handball receives, setting up the play. He was getting 30 touches playing this way in the SANFL.

He struggles with defensive positioning, intercepts, spoils and contested work. The usual things a key position defender needs to be good at.

Time to accept Frampton is a very tall half back flanker and play him as such. If we want his disposal and meters off half back, so be it. Just bring in a player that can play contested on forwards and let Billy do his work on the outside. This would mean dropping a guy like Jones to accommodate him
Nice summary.

No doubt Frampton is good with ball in hand - far better than Murray.

The problem is he isn't a key defender... & that is a huge issue when we need him to match up on a quality key forward.

We already have Doedee playing that 3rd tall role, so we would be too tall bringing in another tall defender.

Yes, but you surely don’t think that the team will ‘improve’ by us criticising players. Or saying anything really.
Or do you?
I never made that claim, yet you keep repeating it...

Nice summary.

No doubt Frampton is good with ball in hand - far better than Murray.

The problem is he isn't a key defender... & that is a huge issue when we need him to match up on a quality key forward.

We already have Doedee playing that 3rd tall role, so we would be too tall bringing in another tall defender.
I don't think height is much of a concern, he doesn't play tall. He's basically a Brodie Smith type that's 10cm taller

Back