Review Good/Bad vs Geelong, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Did it look like FOG went into the round the ground clearance's in the last 3-4 min's of the game yesterday? Not sure if he was instructed to do so by the coaches or not, but it looked like he was in their creating a bit of havoc at the end.

That's what i've been wanting to see from him. Get in there and get on the move (Like Harry did so well). Use that big 100kg body to make a few of the opposition players second guess putting their head over the ball. Even if he doesn't touch the footy he creates more space for Laird, Crouch and Co to do their work.

Watching Harry get on the move in stoppages in the 1st half was a thing of beauty. I'd recommend people go back and watch what he was doing, after the initial center bounce he would run to the back of the pack and in the next stoppage and would time his runs amazingly to hit ROB's taps with pace.

I have a feeling Geelong adjusted in the 2nd half a bit, but if that's the kind of thing Harry can do as a sub 10 gamer with a sub standard AFL tank, imagine what he will do after 3 offseasons!

That kids got it in absolute spades!

Did it look like FOG went into the round the ground clearance's in the last 3-4 min's of the game yesterday? Not sure if he was instructed to do so by the coaches or not, but it looked like he was in their creating a bit of havoc at the end.

That's what i've been wanting to see from him. Get in there and get on the move (Like Harry did so well). Use that big 100kg body to make a few of the opposition players second guess putting their head over the ball. Even if he doesn't touch the footy he creates more space for Laird, Crouch and Co to do their work.
Tex went further up the ground as well, I think they were trying to get both of them into the game as link up FWDs as neither of them were getting near the contest in the F50 and it was clogging up our entries.

I think you just need to look at the Crows vs Eagles game last year, Walker and Fog played in the side. and the next tallest was Lynch

Walker Played higher up the ground and let fog have the 50 and he kicked 5 goals.

3 tall forwards does not work and we have almost tried it all year

So against hawks, Himmelburg or Walker needs to go out, and the choice is obvious for Walker to go out

Watching Harry get on the move in stoppages in the 1st half was a thing of beauty. I'd recommend people go back and watch what he was doing, after the initial center bounce he would run to the back of the pack and in the next stoppage and would time his runs amazingly to hit ROB's taps with pace.

I have a feeling Geelong adjusted in the 2nd half a bit, but if that's the kind of thing Harry can do as a sub 10 gamer with a sub standard AFL tank, imagine what he will do after 3 offseasons!

There were like 3 or 4 times in that first half where Harry was on the move in a stoppage ready to burst out of the pack, but was either ignored or missed with the handball. He just has those stoppage instincts that, once the team get used to it, will make him such a dangerous player around the ball.
Disappeared in the second half, but showed so much to be excited about in the first.

... Just spent some time cutting out some of kicks moving up the ground (https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...h-12-35pm-adelaide-oval.1245857/post-66570491) and it's a killer, especially around the 70-90m mark. If we can move it at a decent speed and get a mark here, we're laughing. So often though, we just burn it at this stage and the rebound stings.
I had a look at the passages/clips you supplied, which were illuminating. Tex was open several times but:
--- was either unseen or ignored, or
--- had the ball kicked badly to him (over his head or short).
Those clips highlighted other things:
--- delivery to the forwards is generally poor; players are not lowering their eyes and looking for a target, or if they do their skills let them down,
--- too many panic-bombs I50, and
--- the movement of the forwards seems random and unstructured (<== this is on renowned defender, Ben Hart :mad: ).

Even so, Tex's overhead marking has really declined, sad to see/say.

No its true. You have forgotten or are too young to remember Tex's agility as a 18-21 year old between 2008-2011 before we tried to turn him into a monster key forward in 2012
Tex had/has a good dummy and was/is clever at working his opponents with the ball in hand. He was aboviously quicker and more nimble than he is now.

Not sure if you watched Fog play for Glenelg but it was clear that he had scope to find space in a stoppage due to his power and lateral movement.

I'm not saying he'd make it there full time but I think it's worth trying given his class/decision making and footskills will be wasted in our forward line over the next couple of years.

1) Our biggest problem right now is forward entry and forward scoring. Our two leading goalkickers are Tex and McAdam.
2) Something different needed in the forward zone so lateral thinking
Reasonable reply, thanks.
1) I agree, kinda. I think the biggest problem is the combination of below-AFL-standard fitness and poor skill level. Improve both, as well as some kind of forward plan/structure (Hart, hopeless) and the Crows would be well on their way.
2) Yes, something different needed --- a canny forward Coach and fit/skilled mids. Lateral thinking which would place Jones as a leading FF (!! :eek:) is too 'lateral', and any time he's been placed at HF he just seems lost.

Another poster (name forgotten sorry) suggested Jones should focus on see-ball, get-ball ie play instinctively and forget about reactive defending until he's regained some confidence.

You mean you don't have to stand completely still at a stoppage? And we wonder why we can't ever get any clean separation away from the packs if we do win the clearance.

I have learnt that there is direct correlation between my emotions watching a Crows game and what the team dishes up. If they don't care then nor do I....yesterday I was an emotionally invested supporter.

In terms of the game itself when the appliction is there two things stuck out for me, we are fundamentally flawed in system (forward structure) and lacking quality executon (ball movement between the arcs).

The first needs to be addressed by changing up coaching/structures. A lot of conversation regarding Fogarty here and where he is at. During the game was thinking why not try the Geelong approach for a while and play Fog one out in the forward 50? It may have even worked against Geelong who love to zone off and create superior numbers at the contest in the back 50. (oh and another think of note, can someone teach our tall forwards to attempt to take overhead marks in front of their eyes, not behind them?

The second, hopefully will be addressed through list management is better talent in the midfield. A lot of justifiable criticism of our current midfielders but if you inject 1, hopefully 2 genuine quality mids into the current group all of a sudden neither Crouch is required to be the No 1 guy. They become 3rd and 4th in the picking order and everyone gets better as a result.

Case in point, when was the last time a Crows' midfielder genuinely got off the leash and ripped the opposition apart?

Edit: Oh and some better fitness would also help.

You mean you don't have to stand completely still at a stoppage? And we wonder why we can't ever get any clean separation away from the packs if we do win the clearance.
I know right? Who woulda thought being on the move would create containment issue's for the opposition mids....

There were like 3 or 4 times in that first half where Harry was on the move in a stoppage ready to burst out of the pack, but was either ignored or missed with the handball. He just has those stoppage instincts that, once the team get used to it, will make him such a dangerous player around the ball.
Disappeared in the second half, but showed so much to be excited about in the first.
Yeah I thought he got missed by a few handballs by half a step too, but if it hit the mark then he was gone! That will get better with time though.

I'm not to surprised it got closed down by Geelong in the 2nd half, they are a very good team and would have been totally caught off guard by that initially. Not 1 bit of game tape would lead them to think Harry would be running through the line of the footy at every stoppage like that!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that we didn't kick a single goal as the result of our players hitting a target inside 50.

Himmelberg hitting Crocker in the pocket at the southern end was the only time I can remember a decent pass inside 50.

Interesting that we didn't kick a single goal as the result of our players hitting a target inside 50.

Himmelberg hitting Crocker in the pocket at the southern end was the only time I can remember a decent pass inside 50.
To be honest I really am struggling to think of that many kicks to a lead in the forward 50 all game. It just felt like one of those games where key forwards where almost irrelevant.

Good:
Harry Schoenberg, classy composed goal and some good work in the first half around the stoppages. Reminds me a bit of Luke Shuey in the way he moves.
Were staying in lots of games through gritty defending
Kyle Hartigan played his best game on Hawkins, kudos for a good defender and good bloke.
GWS losing to West Coast
Jordan Butts is a heck of size, surprised he went in the rookie draft 2 years ago. AFC can't pick mids but boy do we get some decent defenders for not much.

Bad:
Our midfield can barely win a contest and when they do its remarkable how quickly its turned over, like were surprised to have the football.
Were staying in lots of games through gritty defending, giving us hope were actually progressing. We are nowhere and we're on year 0 of the rebuild, not year 1. Might even be year -1.

Ugly:
Crocker, just no.
Shane McAdams goal kicking

We need Brad Crouch back ASAP, we are a far better side with Sloane and the Crouch brothers in it.

Fog at his best I see as that De Goey / Stringer type of hybrid forward / mid. We just need a decent fitness and coaching team to get him there.

Stringer is the obvious comp, similar heights, Jake a bit lighter. Plays mostly forward but chops out in Centre Bounces occasionally and then drifts forward. If Fog could slim down a little that’s the direction I would be taking him.

Stringer is the obvious comp, similar heights, Jake a bit lighter. Plays mostly forward but chops out in Centre Bounces occasionally and then drifts forward. If Fog could slim down a little that’s the direction I would be taking him.
Needs to become a 60/40 fwd/mid

Fair go, the players are in at the club practically every day....fitness or lack thereof is 100% down to Haas...thev only thing he hsas no control of fitness wise is what they put down their throats while away from the club....rest assured we have a dietican on staff so you would think the players should have a fair idea of what the food requirements are for a professional AFL footballer
And yet we have an ex-Captain who returns from the break with the worst "Dad bod" seen at AFL level in many years. OK... since the cameras were last pointed at Mitch "KFC" McGovern.

And yet we have an ex-Captain who returns from the break with the worst "Dad bod" seen at AFL level in many years. OK... since the cameras were last pointed at Mitch "KFC" McGovern.
LOL and you know that circulated picture wasn't doctored of course?

Can't believe the criticism of Fog, the guy is an outright elite talent which we show very little understanding of how to manage.

We only know how to manage the averagely talented but hard tryers of the AFL.
He's an elite talent... but a talent which is currently being wasted, both through faults of Fogarty's making and the club's.

Fogarty is chronically unfit and several kilos overweight for an AFL footballer. He needs to lose the kilos and get fit. That will allow him to compete on even terms with his opponents. He has the engine of a Daihatsu Charade (the old 3 cylinder models) - I don't expect him to become a Ferrari, but he at least needs to get his engine up to V8 Commodore status. This is on him, as much as it is on Hass.

By the same token, Adelaide's woefully underperforming midfield and Hart's horrible forward line structures, are robbing him of the few opportunities he is capable of creating.

It's a bit from both camps. He has talent - but ne needs to put in the work required to make the most of it, and the coaches need to do a better job of building a forward line where his talents can be employed.

All evidence on field suggests that Tex is unfit, suggesting that the picture was accurate.
Crap, struggling physically with past injuries affecting his mobility but not fat which is what you're insinuating by the "Dad bod" comment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back