Review Good/Bad vs Western Bulldogs, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Good: there is a recognisable plan that could conceivably work. Well executed few times but that will improve.

Bad: footy IQ sucks across both senior and junior players.

Ugly: some Senior players are finding new depths to plunge to.
Tex - useless.
Seedsman - lazy and soft.
Mrouch - lazy, loses it and won't chase after his own error.
Hartigan - beyond useless. Stealing minutes from developing players.
EDIT Kelly- see Hartigan.

Last edited:

Geez you hate to criticise our backline when our midfield does zero to relieve pressure on them, but brown is putting together one of the worst seasons I’ve seen. Has really lost any pace he had.

I won’t even mention Kelly and Hartigan. we could only just afford to carry these guys when we had a good side. How the selectors keep on going back to these guys is beyond me.

fully expect to see Gibbs next week now going on how clueless our selectors are.

kelly, Hartigan and Walker should never play for us again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keays and Schoenberg real finds for us. Played well above expectations this year so far

Rest of the midfield? Horrible.

Sloane - does not have 3 years of football left

M. Crouch - his impact matters little when his defensive actions are disgraceful and his opponent is BOG every week

Laird - last week was an anomaly

Seedsman - horrible, soft hack. That miss from 20 out on the run was unforgivable, should have been benched immediately

Smith - lacking impact

Keays and Schoenberg real finds for us. Played well above expectations this year so far

M. Crouch - his impact matters little when his defensive actions are disgraceful and his opponent is BOG every week

Seedsman - horrible, soft hack. That miss from 20 out on the run was unforgivable, should have been benched immediately

Smith - lacking impact
Harsh on Laird, I think he still has a bit to learn in there.

Like the rest, but I'm not sure what we are doing with Smith.

Smith - lacking impact
Sloane in, Laird suffers?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Harsh on Laird, I think he still has a bit to learn in there.

Like the rest, but I'm not sure what we are doing with Smith.
Smith had 535 meters gained for 2 score involvements, one of which was his own goal

Jake Kelly had as many score involvements and he was ****ing horrible

There's always guys who struggle in bad teams and do well in good teams. Guys like Atkins and Kelly are the first ones, and they're the sort of players we can't afford to carry anymore.
Atkins maybe but Kelly was never that good even when we were playing well

The most positive part of our game today is our offensive ball movement, it’s the best I’ve seen us move the ball all season. Unfortunately, it also coincided with our clearance work and defensive pressure completely falling away again, which is extremely disappointing after doing quite well in both areas in the prior two games.

Too many poor senior players to blame, but Nicks has only himself to blame for picking Kelly after dropping him twice for a clear reason, he has lost his defensive ability which was the only redeeming feature of his game.

Have we had a game in these shortened series where we havent lost a player? Doesn't help with an immature team on short breaks to always be a person down.

Do we take any learning from any of these positions we find ourselves in? When obrien was against dunkley, did we try any bash it forward taps to see how they'd go? Did we try to put extra numbers back in the third quarter to stem the tide??

Why is it often our hacked kicks forward that result in our best forward forays? When ever we do the predictable ones they get picked off so bad, especially since our forwards will have extra numbers against them.

How many times did they get it out from the kick in? What did we change? Did we put two up there to pressure? Did we put some outriders back since they were getting over the back??

Our main prob is the midfield and clearances. We actually took a step forward last week. We should've been better this week against generally weaker ruckmen. I dunno how we could be worse around the ball than we have been. If I was coaching in the last quarter I mightve said to the mids run to the spot you think will be the dumbest possible spot. Couldn't have done any worse and it mightve worked.

Players are going to get sick of this. Some of the more senior ones today were starting to drop their heads. Potentially for a lot more embarassment coming if they dont do something soon.

I think some of the problem is a lot of unlearning. Sloane was terrible, but partly i think that's cos he doesn't get the new system, but also most of our team takes possession, shoenberg taps on, so does stengle, so does macadam, its staggering how helpful that is at times. Under Nicks gameplan its a wise thing to do. In our old game plans it would've been sacrilege.

Lastly, why do the new players come in and do so well? Poholke did well today. Why arent more being brought in. Butts or Worell could've been today. Butts played great in SANFL last couple of years. Where the F is Davis. Oconnor's big enough.

Also not impressed about not customising the team to the opposition too. Why the talls? Why not learn something??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back