Review Good vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I made notes on my phone as I watched the game live:
"Smith invisible until just before half-time, wide miss for goal".
"3rd 1/4, Smith 13.42 htb awful, slow, no awareness, Carlton goal" = a goal not kicked + an easy goal conceded,
BUT
I watched the last 10.10 on AFL replay (about 15 minutes playing time) at the end of the game, to see if I could see what you saw on replay.
OK, so ...
Until 8.54 to play, Smith unsighted, Curnow kicks goal to put Carlton 16 points up, 97-81.
8.27 Laird handballs to Smith who is under pressure from behind immediately but handballs out to Hamill.
2.42 Smith takes ball on the run off-hands, handballs toward Michalanney but handball is dud, only makes it halfway, but Smith follows up, takes possession again and handballs to Hinge.
1.49, clearance from Michalanney after Carlton player flubs checkside kick for goal and Smith shows terrific awareness to tap the live ball onto Berry (? looks like).
1.19 Berry goal puts us ahead by 2, final score.
[btw, producer cuts to Adelaide bench where it's obvious that Laird although sitting is clearly applauding the goal which is as animated as undemonstrative Laird ever gets. For other posters to say that Laird did not celebrate that goal is just plain wrong. Compared to Laird, a pigeon roosting is beside itself :sneaky:]

Smith had no kicks and 3 handballs, one to nowhere, and that clever tap-on in the last 10.10 of the final quarter.
Useful, yes, but did he "win a few contested balls and drive the ball forward"?
View attachment 1960174
You've identified two excellent passages of play there in the space of 2 minutes with the game on the line, both of which involved winning contested ball and finding teammates to get the ball moving forward. Not sure what you think 'very good in the last 10 minutes' requires but for me that was good.

The 'dud' handball was while he was being tackled after collecting the loose ball. Handballing to space and then running on to it and finding Hinge with a handball is good play. If he doesn't do that it's a forward line stoppage for Carlton with under 3 minutes to go. The tap on to Berry was also excellent. The other disposal Smith had in the last few minutes was as the target for Hinge after Carlton's final behind with 4 mins left. He marked, handballed to Hamill who kicked to Crouch who in turn kicked to Rankine. A small role there but also useful given how much we'd been struggling to get out of defence earlier in the quarter.

That's the last few minutes - he had 8 touches overall in the last quarter, most good, which is a good showing for a senior player with the game on the line.

The 'dud' handball was while he was being tackled after collecting the loose ball. Handballing to space and then running on to it and finding Hinge with a handball is good play.
Please look again. That first handball was intended for Michalanney but was way short. Yes, he followed up well. Watching live I thought he handballed to himself, but after several views I changed my mind.
What can I say?
I spent 20-30 minutes actually looking for the "drive" you said. There were some useful contributions, sure, but we value what he did differently. Interesting discussion :thumbsu:.

I don't really care if he was intending to handball to himself or to Michalanney honestly. Could go either way, my view is he was trying to dispose of the ball because he was being tackled. Either way he won a loose ball, evaded a tackler, handballed to Hinge. That's good play, especially under pressure in the final minutes of a close game. Plus being the outlet target for Hinge and the tap to Berry, all in the last 4 minutes with less than a kick in it. And yep, all of those moments involved driving the ball forward.

Smith had a good last quarter and a particularly good final few minutes. That's my point. I'm not putting him in the votes but for me he's one who stands out re-watching the final term along with the obvious Rankine/Berry/Crouch group and also Soligo, Hamill, Hinge, Keays, Keane who had good moments too.

He also hit a picture perfect I50 to Tex over a Carlton player's head when he had a bit of space outside the contest, IIRC.
Ask him to do it again. I've lost count of how many times Laird has been out in space and kicked it straight to an oppo defender. He's not a guy who kicks poorly just because he's rushing kicks under pressure.

-Ball movement, when we move it quick we are a completely different side. It takes the entire team to do this, hopefully we click from now on.
-Soligo, since is first couple of games everyone has been on board with this guy, just a continual, linear improvement from a winger having a good game now and then to someone who absolutely damages opposition... how did he go pick 36?
-Jones should make a huge mistake every week, as soon as he fresh aired that ball which cost us a goal he got stuck in and was great across the wing and HB.
-16.4 and missed 4 set shots (2 were easy, 1 was gettable)
- Rankine and Soligo should be the only ones disposing of the ball from centre bounce, huge difference compared to Laird bombing the ball to half forward.

-I don't mind our players getting done for HTB taking the game on, its breeds the ability to think better under pressure.

-We got exposed by a side with 2 dominant key forwards, probably our weakness. Not many sides have that though (Brisbane comes to mind).

-Nankervis has something, he sort of gets the ball and has that turn out of trouble thing where nobody goes near him.

-Fogarty is off a cliff career wise. Spends so much time trying to wrestle that he just exposes himself to any small defender coming over the top, not sure what the solution is, perhaps staying down and trying to play more like a smaller forward?

We have the opportunity to be 3-4 after round 7 but being Essingtons female dogs its hard to feel super confident.
The reason I had no issue taking a flier on a Victorian - Hadn't played football for 2 years to showcase what he had.

I don't really care if he was intending to handball to himself or to Michalanney honestly. Could go either way, my view is he was trying to dispose of the ball because he was being tackled. Either way he won a loose ball, evaded a tackler, handballed to Hinge. That's good play, especially under pressure in the final minutes of a close game. Plus being the outlet target for Hinge and the tap to Berry, all in the last 4 minutes with less than a kick in it. And yep, all of those moments involved driving the ball forward.

Smith had a good last quarter and a particularly good final few minutes. That's my point. I'm not putting him in the votes but for me he's one who stands out re-watching the final term along with the obvious Rankine/Berry/Crouch group and also Soligo, Hamill, Hinge, Keays, Keane who had good moments too.

Hinge had a VERY good game I thought. Gave us lots of drive out of backline and made better decisions.

Hinge had a VERY good game I thought. Gave us lots of drive out of backline and made better decisions.
Totally agree. Hinge's game overall was much better than Smith's. I thought Smith was fairly poor for three quarters after being pretty good against Melbourne. Good last quarter though.

With the deliberate - it was a punch in a marking contest so is allowed.
Please look again.
Here's the marking contest which is spoiled by McKay coming across:

1713146904225.png

Ball spills off hands and is then punched oob:

1713147110912.png
Is that punch spoiling a second-grab at a mark (legal),
OR
a deliberate oob (free kick)? Line-ball. If the free kick was given, nothing to say that the kick would have goaled,
BUT ...

1713147471350.png

Berry got the goal after that. :sparkles: We win! :sparkles:

May have gone unnoticed, but how in the hell did Rankine not get a free kick at that throw in that Berry had the snap from. Basically got driven into the turf off the back of the pack without the ball...

Had Berry missed, we would be talking about that as a horrible missed free kick.

Yes. Such an obvious free. And moments later, when Keays is given the hurry up by that blond umpire. That is just blatant favouritism to try and give Carlton every chance to get over the line. He is a dodgy umpire that guy - with an anti Crow bias!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Great mark by Keane, but we almost lost it with that long kick by Keays. We needed to hit a pass there.

Listening to Milera on 5AA he said “kick it long”. If that’s the team instruction surely that’s only if you can’t find a target.

Hopefully this last couple of rounds is a sign things are turning around with the players Coach's mindset.
Ftfy. :sneaky:
Nicks scores a massive FAIL over the first 4 rounds.

Let's hope all of the Coaches adopt/sustain the changes made vs Carlton (I still don't believe it was Nicks' initiative).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[
Listening to Milera on 5AA he said “kick it long”. If that’s the team instruction surely that’s only if you can’t find a target.
It's not the instruction it's the execution

Smith yeah 40-55m Keays 40 at most

Watched the game again,

• Our pressure to begin the game was phenomenal, Hamill was working far up the ground. So different to last week where we sat SO deep.
  • Rachele from the start was providing linking run through the midfield. When we trust him he can be a fantastic distributor of the ball.
  • Worrell gets lost in the conversation, but his aerobic capacity to push up the ground and provide a tall defensive option, often next to ROB from oppo kick outs, can't be understated. Also went back with the flight and almost got cleaned up by McKay, saved a certain shot on goal.
  • Keane. Has it all, reads the play and knows when to leave his man, but also is more than serviceable 1-1. Composed kick (some of shorter ones aren't great but you forgive him that). What a pickup 92% DE
  • Very interesting Crouch and Laird TOG, 67% & 68% respectively. The winds of change...
  • Chayce Jones had a few moments i'm sure he'd like to get back, but he was taking Blues players for a run around the ground the whole game, applied pressure everywhere and presented an option. Was decent
  • Soligo & Rankine were immense, Hinge was was back in form as well.
  • Commentators noticed Dawson was either being placed at times in HF or HB, with running roles occasionally against Cripps. The Blues really like to dish the ball out to goal kickers and distributors outside the F50, but Dawson had several great moments defending on our goal side of the ball. Disrupted the Blues in their decision making.

Nankervis didn't just 'show something' in the game, he had quite a few moments where he showed true elite quality decision making, tackling pressure, and shrugging tackles. Will be an important utility for us. Was so composed on the ball at times and didn't burn it like so many other players had. He was comfortable in pressure coming towards him to be able to evade and find a proper option. I draw your attention to him wearing a hit from McKay, so brave to go back like that, and it resulted in a stoppage and then a kick to Walker shortly after that. He also reads the play very well, he received a couple of intercept marks by anticipating where the ball was going to be long before it arrived. It's repeat efforts we've been missing, and he brought it in spades around the contest. 94.4% DE

Last edited:
Coaches votes:

9 Sam Walsh (CARL)
9 Izak Rankine (ADEL)
5 Taylor Walker (ADEL)
3 Jake Soligo (ADEL)
2 Ben Keays (ADEL)
1 Mitchell Hinge (ADEL)
1 Charlie Curnow (CARL)

So it’d be
Rankine/Walsh
Walsh/Rankine
Walker/Soligo
Keays/Walker
Hinge/Curnow

My thanks to whomever posted this:

It's a great read! eg
"With six and a half minutes to go and trailing by 10 points, the Crows’ centre bounce trio reflects their mindset: there’s Laird, the experienced head, Soligo, the young tyro, and Rankine, the X-factor.

It’s the younger duo who win the day: Rankine sharks O’Brien’s tap, and with sublime deftness and lightning thinking, handballs between two Blues to not only get the ball to Soligo, but open a path for him to dash forward. Could Crouch or Dawson pull something like that off?
".
I doubt it.

1713159304734.png and read it.

From THE ROAR article (I didn't notice this):
"At the subsequent stoppage inside the Crows’ 50, Rankine lines up directly next to George Hewett, but his running patterns are utterly fascinating. As the ball is thrown up, he runs hell for leather to the goalsquare, even with the ball in dispute behind him.
Hewett remains at the contest, but the Crows win it courtesy of a crunching Chayce Jones tackle spilling the ball clear; under pressure, Keays sharks the loose ball and gives to Berry, who thumps it to the hot spot.

Rankine is goal side of the nearest Blue, Blake Acres, and in a perfect spot to crumb if Darcy Fogarty, one out with Jordan Boyd, can bring it to ground. He does better than that: with Fogarty holding Boyd out of the drop spot, Rankine runs back with the flight and drags in a superb mark.

It doesn’t happen if Rankine behaves like a normal midfielder would, and stays at the contest. That’s what can happen when your most dangerous player suddenly becomes a threat running back towards goal, rather than up from them.
".

Rankine: brilliant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back