Goulburn Valley FL 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Chalcraft (Geelong bnf winner), Zavier Maher (Carlton), not sure they'd see much of them though.
Maher hurt his shoulder in finals, looked like a disclocation, so he might start at United and if the byes fall in place and they have chalcraft and cucinotta in, with a couple of recruits they could be a handful early in the year for sides to come up against

The Bullants were not at VFL standard last year, especially towards the end of the year.
Echuca wouldn't have been strong in the VFL either so I'd say most guys with the Bullants this year would be decent in the GVFL.

Watched Liam Mackie play against Echuca early in the season. He is in the top 3 or 4 at the bullants and was easily the best player on the field until he went off with a shoulder injury.
Mackie, Wilson and a couple of others are at the level and above. If they have recruited one of those they have a gun. Otherwise they are basically local players from the Northern FL.

1) How would the Northern League compare to the GVFL?
2) Excluding those on VFL lists, who from Echuca would be considered to be of a higher standard than their counterparts on the lists of the Bullants, Coburg or Williamstown?

2) Excluding those on VFL lists, who from Echuca would be considered to be of a higher standard than their counterparts on the lists of the Bullants, Coburg or Williamstown?
Northern Football League and GVFL would be a pretty similar strength. GV Footy may be a better spectacle at times as they play on some small dog box grounds at times in the NFL with rough surfaces but player quality would be pretty similar. I don't watch the much VFL to form an opinion on the other part of your question.

Don’t think Echuca would beat Heidelberg or Bundoora in the nfnl and as for the Northern Bullants, they may have only won 3 games for the season but they would not come close to Preston imo big big step up from gvfl/nfnl to vfl All 22 players have to be strong

Northern Football League and GVFL would be a pretty similar strength. GV Footy may be a better spectacle at times as they play on some small dog box grounds at times in the NFL with rough surfaces but player quality would be pretty similar. I don't watch the much VFL to form an opinion on the other part of your question.
Agree with you Gypsum. NFL got some great talent but the small grounds just don't cut it out for me, watched a few NFL games this year and they were full of quality players but the brand of football wasn't enthralling to watch. Stoppage > Dump kick > Scrap > Stoppage > Throw in x3 > Scrap > Goal. Where as the GV is more free flowing and the ball movement is much much better thats for sure. Big grounds make a big difference thats for sure. Not to mention the weather, always sunnier and clearer up in the GV compared with Melbourne.

Sam Reid and Ben Reid was a B&F winner with Geelong VFL. Gus Byrne and Jack Evans are currently with Geelong VFL.

Sam Reid and Ben Reid was a B&F winner with Geelong VFL. Gus Byrne and Jack Evans are currently with Geelong VFL.
All class players and well and truly VFL quality, could add in a few more from Echuca who could make the jump to VFL.

A VFL club even on the bottom of the ladder would still beat Echuca IMO Ringo. The bottom 6 players would be a massive difference thats for sure.

All class players and well and truly VFL quality, could add in a few more from Echuca who could make the jump to VFL.

A VFL club even on the bottom of the ladder would still beat Echuca IMO Ringo. The bottom 6 players would be a massive difference thats for sure.
These sort of comparisons get made from time to time but in reality the gap between a GV club and even the poorest VFL club is chalk and cheese. The bullants would cream Echuca. The gap is huge and you can’t draw any comparisons from results because they just don’t line up. They’re not equivalent. North would smash Casey too, despite how poor North were this year.

Never said Echuca would beat them! What I did say is that just because a player from the Bullants signed at Tat, it doesn't mean they are better than some of the talent already playing GV. The Bullants Bottom 10-15 players wouldn't get a game at other VFL clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never said Echuca would beat them! What I did say is that just because a player from the Bullants signed at Tat, it doesn't mean they are better than some of the talent already playing GV. The Bullants Bottom 10-15 players wouldn't get a game at other VFL clubs.
Horses for courses, bottom 10-15 would get a gig at Echuca thou that’s the difference

Echuca
Euroa
Seymour
Mooroopna
Mansfield
Kyabram
Benalla
Swans
Rochester
Bears
United
Tat
Echuca
Euroa
Seymour
Mansfield
Kyabram
Rochester

Mooroopna
Benalla
Shepparton
Swans
United
Tatura

Benalla , Shepparton and swans jumble them how you like

Rochy and Mooroopna could possibly switch but I’m happy with that for now

Echuca
Euroa
Seymour
Mansfield
Kyabram
Rochester

Mooroopna
Benalla
Shepparton
Swans
United
Tatura

What's happening at Mooroopna? Trengove and Dean Smith gone. Any other significant movement?
Tend to agree with your ladder as
at this point it looks like two divisions. However I suspect Mooroopna will finish 6th and Rochy in the bottom 6.

Still movement to come no doubt.

What's happening at Mooroopna? Trengove and Dean Smith gone. Any other significant movement?
at this point it looks like two divisions. However I suspect Mooroopna will finish 6th and Rochy in the bottom 6.

Trengove is still at Mooroopna picked up a couple of his mates as well from Barooga. I'd say they will be in the Finals mix again.

Cats have lost smith (who only played a handful of games last year) and caccaviello, but have replaced them with brexstem from barooga, big Daniel Johnston barooga, McKenzie Cowley from Tongala and will have Nathan Drummond a fair bit because he won’t be playing the interstate VFL games. So I can’t see how they drop out of the finals after being a couple of goals away from a prelim this season. They’ll get more improvement from there impressive young locals, I can see them going very well in 2023.

Echuca
Euroa
Seymour
Mansfield
Kyabram
Rochester

Mooroopna
Benalla
Shepparton
Swans
United
Tatura

Way too early for this but here goes at this stage,

Echuca
Seymour
Euroa
Mansfield
Mooroopna
Kyabram

Rochester
Benalla
Swans
Tatura
Shepparton
United

Cats have lost smith (who only played a handful of games last year) and caccaviello, but have replaced them with brexstem from barooga, big Daniel Johnston barooga, McKenzie Cowley from Tongala and will have Nathan Drummond a fair bit because he won’t be playing the interstate VFL games. So I can’t see how they drop out of the finals after being a couple of goals away from a prelim this season. They’ll get more improvement from there impressive young locals, I can see them going very well in 2023.
Been some decent wraps on Cowley , be very interested to see how he goes at Mooroopna .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back