Great images in cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

3749826-3x2-700x467.jpg

And yet the 77 Ashes in England would be close to the top of worst Ashes series of all time, unless you were Geoff Boycott.
If only McCosker hadn't dropped him.....

If only McCosker hadn't dropped him.....
Mike Brearley is a real hero of mine, exceptional record as a captain, and was someone who get the best out of guys like Boycott and Botham. Edmonds thrived under him at Middlesex too, being a shrink, he seemed to handle he "difficult" cricketers very well.

which ground was that again?

from memory, it hosted a match in the 99 World Cup

have played on a suburban ground like this in perth. if the ball hits the tree, it is immediately 4, even if you have cranked one on the full and it is obviously going for a zack

For all that's written about the tree at Canterbury, I'd always pictured it somewhat larger than that.
I hope when it dies they transplant a new one in, its one of cricket's great ideosynchocies that should be maintained.
I have a feeling that it did die, they put in a new one and I think Dave Gilbert arced up a bit about it. Can't find a link, but he said something along the lines that it had always been a pain in the arse and when it died and they could get rid of it they planted a new one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a feeling that it did die, they put in a new one and I think Dave Gilbert arced up a bit about it. Can't find a link, but he said something along the lines that it had always been a pain in the arse and when it died and they could get rid of it they planted a new one.

Yep the original was 120ft then shrunk to 90ft and eventually snapped in half which they replaced for a lime tree.

It's typical of English cricket. A tree gets in the way for 200 years and, when it falls down, instead of cheering they plant a new one.
Former Australia fast bowler David Gilbert on Kent's new lime tree

Remove this Banner Ad

Back