GRFL Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

You would hope all clubs are looking at their long term future so hopefully they are all looking towards mergers and Hay a league change.
I'd think only wandella could go alone, maybe murrabit, other than hay who you'd think with the fighting occuring in the picola and Murray leagues would have a spot open up there next year to cut down on their travel

I'd think only wandella could go alone, maybe murrabit, other than hay who you'd think with the fighting occuring in the picola and Murray leagues would have a spot open up there next year to cut down on their travel
Yeh I agree, it’s a sad position the league and clubs find themselves in. Ultima might think they are a chance in North Central as they would be the only close alternative for Swan Hill players to the Central Murray but I can’t see them ever generating the dollars needed to stay competitive.
It’s too bad Murrabit and Wandella are such fierce rivals because a merger could create a really powerful club.

Could Ultima merge with Lake Boga? Murrabit with Moulmein?

Ultima would have a number of options I’d think. Lalbert not far away, have always had a connection with Tyntynder, Lake Boga as mentioned not far away and Swan Hill would entertain it also.

Murrabit are an interesting one. Lake Boga would make sense, Kerang is close by and Koondrook Barham maybe

Ultima would have a number of options I’d think. Lalbert not far away, have always had a connection with Tyntynder, Lake Boga as mentioned not far away and Swan Hill would entertain it also.

Murrabit are an interesting one. Lake Boga would make sense, Kerang is close by and Koondrook Barham maybe
I'd think murrabit would possibly entertain koondrook, keep the name river Raiders and get 2-3 home games there a year and wear murrabit colours on those games

Mqcorna seem to get good numbers, maybe they merge with pyramid hill or go it alone as they seem to get players from kerang and cohuna and I'd think they go Loddon valley with wandella, unless they go like the federal league with 5 teams

Ultima have no juniors really, is there still a school there? Maybe with Boga or tyntynder, not sure about moulamein what they do

I'd think murrabit would possibly entertain koondrook, keep the name river Raiders and get 2-3 home games there a year and wear murrabit colours on those games

Mqcorna seem to get good numbers, maybe they merge with pyramid hill or go it alone as they seem to get players from kerang and cohuna and I'd think they go Loddon valley with wandella, unless they go like the federal league with 5 teams

Ultima have no juniors really, is there still a school there? Maybe with Boga or tyntynder, not sure about moulamein what they do
It would be great if Murrabit and Koondrook could make it work it. Koondrook are apparently really struggling atm.
As you say Macorna seem to pull abit from everywhere but realistically Pyramid Hill might be the only club who would be
interested in them.
Ultima and Tyntynder would be the best fit imo. It almost seems like Tyntynder will never contend again with the way things are going.
I really just hope we don’t lose too many clubs completely like we have with Quamby and with so many CM clubs looking like they will continually struggle I hope we can get some win/wins out of what is a said situation.

I'm in WA but got a mate living just out of Bendigo, He was told that unofficially this is the last year of GRFL by someone in the system. Normally pretty good with his mail so I give it some weight.

Better to be half of something than all of nothing.

If two teams merge, you get supporters, sponsors and players from two towns and your heritage remains in an on-field form.

You can drive along many country highways or B-roads and see what happens to those who are too proud to merge and suffer the ultimate fate ... six tilted rusty poles in an over grown paddock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think unfortunately as player numbers continue to dwindle clubs are forced to take on blokes that maybe in the past they wouldn’t tolerate
Gives them a chance of winning it in what could be the last year of the league and maybe the club as it is if they consider merging at the end of the season.
Very risky though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back