Hampden Football League Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

I bet you South wish they were only paying $700/$800 per game. He would be on a lot more than that and it would still be well under what he could get in the GFL & Ovens & Murray. He should be getting more than Nicolson.

Blythe so Saunders in your opinion has to be on well over $800 a game yet you are adamant that McIntyre should he get on the ground this year will only be paid $150 a win???

So Koroit are the only club that are able to try and think outside the square with incentives and opportunities to offer recruits outside of match payments....

No doubt Saunders will be getting compensated well, as should a player of his age and ability. That doesn't mean it is all via $$ match payments...

Blythe so Saunders in your opinion has to be on well over $800 a game yet you are adamant that McIntyre should he get on the ground this year will only be paid $150 a win???

So Koroit are the only club that are able to try and think outside the square with incentives and opportunities to offer recruits outside of match payments....

No doubt Saunders will be getting compensated well, as should a player of his age and ability. That doesn't mean it is all via $$ match payments...

Rooster at no stage have I ever suggested McIntyre would be on $150 a game - that is all B.S coming from Koroit way. (Not one person except those from Koroit believe that crap) As for Saunders I couldn't care less what South pay him except to say he wouldn't come cheaply. Top quality recruits like Saunders don't come at bargain basement rates no matter how you dress it up. I don't understand you stating that he will be getting well compensated but in the next breath you state that it doesn't mean it is all via match payments. To me that indicates he is getting compensated outside the salary cap?

Rooster at no stage have I ever suggested McIntyre would be on $150 a game - that is all B.S coming from Koroit way. (Not one person except those from Koroit believe that crap) As for Saunders I couldn't care less what South pay him except to say he wouldn't come cheaply. Top quality recruits like Saunders don't come at bargain basement rates no matter how you dress it up. I don't understand you stating that he will be getting well compensated but in the next breath you state that it doesn't mean it is all via match payments. To me that indicates he is getting compensated outside the salary cap?

What Salary Cap??

There is no salary cap... Broaden your mind and think outside the square Blythe!! So rather than pay a player X amount a game there are other sweeteners/incentives involved from sponsors, 3rd Parties - could be petrol cards, gym memberships, golf memberships, club apparel, education/training, business opportunity, employment, accommodation - the list really is endless and happens at all clubs across the state... Not that hard to understand is it?? So a club might be able to come up with a package that is worth 20k but only 10k might actually be match payments...

Given there is no salary cap clubs can do as they please so long as they meet the pts cap. In Sth case only Saunders is not a previous Sth player so this is no issue...

There is no salary cap... Broaden your mind and think outside the square Blythe!! So rather than pay a player X amount a game there are other sweeteners/incentives involved from sponsors, 3rd Parties - could be petrol cards, gym memberships, golf memberships, club apparel, education/training, business opportunity, employment, accommodation - the list really is endless and happens at all clubs across the state... Not that hard to understand is it?? So a club might be able to come up with a package that is worth 20k but only 10k might actually be match payments...

Given there is no salary cap clubs can do as they please so long as they meet the pts cap. In Sth case only Saunders is not a previous Sth player so this is no issue...

At at the end of the day your scheme is "Lipstick on a pig" not that hard to understand is it ???

- the below is from an article from the Shepparton News Newspaper October 1st 2016.
Sorry I have been misled.

VICTORIAN COUNTRY FOOTBALL LEAGUE’S SALARY CAPS FOR 2017

$185000 Goulburn Valley Football League

$160000 Ovens and Murray Football League, Gippsland Football League

$150000 Murray Football League, South East Football League, Nepean Football League, Peninsula Football League

$140000 Hampden Football League, Ballarat Football League

$120000 West Gippsland Football League, Yarra Ranges Division One.

By
Shepparton News
October 01, 2016

At at the end of the day your scheme is "Lipstick on a pig" not that hard to understand is it ???

- the below is from an article from the Shepparton News Newspaper October 1st 2016.

$150000 Murray Football League, South East Football League, Nepean Football League, Peninsula Football League

By
Shepparton News
October 01, 2016
Thanks Blythe 4 that! What's Geelong FL salary cap? It would be at the top end i would say. Also i wonder how Port Fairy would fit all their gun players under the salary cap of $140,000?

Last edited:
Thanks Blythe 4 that! What's Geelong FL salary cap? It would be at the top end i would say. Also i wonder how Port Fairy would fit all their gun players under the salary cap of $140,000?

Beachboy I just read the article again and there was no mention of Geelong F.L Not sure why not? Then again 2 legends (oh well 1 legend and another trying to get that status) advise that there is no salary cap in the VCFL. So I am probably wrong (as well as the Shepparton News :) Judging by Port Fairy's spending they also certainly don't believe there is one.

Beachboy I just read the article again and there was no mention of Geelong F.L Not sure why not? Then again 2 legends (oh well 1 legend and another trying to get that status) advise that there is no salary cap in the VCFL. So I am probably wrong (as well as the Shepparton News :) Judging by Port Fairy's spending they also certainly don't believe there is one.
They are trying to bring it in for next season I'm pretty sure. Port Fairy would definitely be over that.

By
Shepparton News
October 01, 2016

AFL Western are the governing body for this area and there have been no salary caps set for season 2017 in the HFNL.

Needless to say if the figure of $140,000 mooted in the Shepparton publication you are quoting was to be the figure then the only club in any danger of breaking that cap would be the Port Fairy Football Netball Club.

Be a pointless exercise to have a cap of $140,000 in the HFNL as the great majority of clubs player budgets would be half this amount.

Can assure that as it stands there is no salary cap in place for the HFNL in 2017.

Giving the logistics of trying to implement a figure this late in the year, any salary cap be very generous and in effect pointless.

Pretty sure there was an article in The Standard about this earlier in the month.

The player points cap allocation are meant to be released shortly....

Reiterate Blythe that all clubs in country footy use club sponsors and contacts to develop packages for players that enable them to table attractive offers that aren't fully reliant on $$ amounts per game.

Handy signing for the Blues with Matt Colbert signing on! Formerly a defender for Redan.

Roosters Crow you are absolutely spot on! Well read and good knowledge of the situation. Very accurate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it not strange that Port Fairy having 45 points means that they are 5 points better off and at the same time they have a 5 point player from another Hampden club using up the allowance? They have no trouble recruiting. It's just an unfair advantage really.

I would argue that all places that don't have a university access/low employment opportunities/inability to sustain a junior football program, and have several other clubs in their area taking talent from the pool should all have points allowances. That probably means every single side should have it's own criteria for awarded points or have no allowance at all. Especially so those areas not within a major metropolitan area, which is every side outside of Warrnambool. But let's not forget the sides inside of Warrnambool have many other teams emptying the pool too!

I would argue that all places that don't have a university access/low employment opportunities/inability to sustain a junior football program, and have several other clubs in their area taking talent from the pool should all have points allowances. That probably means every single side should have it's own criteria for awarded points or have no allowance at all. Especially so those areas not within a major metropolitan area, which is every side outside of Warrnambool. But let's not forget the sides inside of Warrnambool have many other teams emptying the pool too!

Pt Fairy have access to all of the educational and employment opportunities Warrnambool based clubs have.... it is a 10 minute commute to Warrnambool....

Would love some transparency and Patterson and AFL Western to state on what grounds and criteria did Pt Fairy get granted additional points.... Hard to see how it can possibly be justified... Essentially Pt Fairy being rewarded for mismanagement of the club the last however many years....

Pt Fairy are blatantly rorting the system - who can blame them when the governing body is giving them the vehicle to do so....

Interesting quote from Patterson "I think it’s fair to say last season that clubs were very keen to look at their junior development and also we’re seeing clubs looking to recruit players that have come through their ranks in the past,” Patterson said.

I would argue some clubs are looking to recruit players that come through their ranks, other clubs are however using extra cap space to recruit players that have come through other clubs ranks...(Sully)

Can't wait for the uproar when they announce Robinson signing!!!

If they win it 2017 it will be tainted.....

In 2 or 3 years time they will be a basket and AFL Western & HFNL exec will have created a bigger problem...

"Port fairy should be applauded"
How Can a team who has going up from 43 to 45 be applauded? The only thing that should be applauded should be Lauchie Pattersons ability to conceal that **** on his head

Interesting read here.. You all mustn't know that sully played all his juniors at Emmanuel Hawks? And only had one full year at south? Where he won the b&f as an 18 yr old... And I know for a FACT south offered him more then what port could for next year! Bunch of know it alls you lot!

Interesting read here.. You all mustn't know that sully played all his juniors at Emmanuel Hawks? And only had one full year at south? Where he won the b&f as an 18 yr old... And I know for a FACT south offered him more then what port could for next year! Bunch of know it alls you lot!

Not sure what Sully has to do with Pt Fairy points cap farce. Other than he is a 5pt player they would struggle to accommodate without the nonsensical additional point cap space. His history at Sth is irrelevant as if it wasn't Sully they would have used $$ and extra point cap space to get some other marquee player to the club - that's how they roll....

But for sake of accuracy your facts are wrong as I know beyond a shadow of doubt that Sth spoke to Sully and the talk was more around work opportunities for him and his GF. Can even tell you the restaurant where they met!! Talks never progressed to the stage of $$ offer as Sully was always going to Pt Fairy.

And the meeting took place at the request of Sully not Sth. Happened just before Matt shopped himself round in the paper. Sth. never really thought they were in the running until very late on when there was a meeting with Sully.

So not sure where you are getting your information from in relation to contract offer from Sth as he was never given one. You have your facts wrong trying to claim Sth offered more than the reported 25k Sully is getting at Pt Fairy. Quite simply Sth don't have those $$ resources. Let's be honest Sully, Nicholson and Holmer would all be on in excess of 20k.

Also Sth were always confident off getting Saunders as a "marquee signing" and were never going to be in the position to attract both players. Before you all speculate can also guarantee that Saunders is on significantly less than 20k in actual football payments. He is being helped with some educational/training opportunities as well as some other non footy opportunities.

The reality is Sully, Nicholson & Holmer combined would be getting more than the entire football budget of Sth and I would imagine many other clubs.

Good luck to Pt Fairy doing this, but history shows it isn't sustainable and it will turn to shit sooner rather than later.

What is also fact is regardless of where Sully played juniors the Sth Warrnambool football club did an awful lot for Matt Sully. One particular Sth person had an awful lot to do with Sully getting a look in on Geelong VFL list and also helped him with contacts at Southport - Matt knows this all to well himself and he has let this person down terribly with some of his actions.

Interesting that the so called Sully family connections to Pt Fairy only became important this year when there was 25k on the table? They were not relevant when Gerald Sully coached Sth U/18's and Matt was playing in a senior premiership at Sth five years ago and Pt were struggling. Also be interested to see how important the family ties are in a few years when the wheels fall off at the violet crumbles like they always do......

Pretty sure it is common knowledge Sully played juniors for the Hawks. Also think you will find Sully played 2 years of senior footy at Sth as he played in the losing GF in 2010 and winning one in 2011. Regardless of where Sully played his juniors it is still a farce that Pt Fairy have been allocated 5 additional pts in the cap.

The pts cap allocation has nothing to do with Sully other than the fact without the injustice of Pt Fairy having 5pts more they would not have been able to recruit him with a $$ offer that was too good to refuse.

On what grounds do Pt Fairy require 5 more points than Warrnambool, Koroit, Nth & Sth, who are the 4 other clubs in this region of the HFNL.

I have no issue with Sully playing with Pt Fairy and Pt Fairy recruiting Sully but they should have had to do this with the same point cap of 40 as other clubs, which may have resulted in them not being able to retain and/or recruit another player. So essentially his recruitment should have come with a cost benefit to the club.

Anyway decision has been made and the 2017 season tainted before it starts - as the * will be there all year and into the finals.

Not sure what Sully has to do with Pt Fairy points cap farce. Other than he is a 5pt player they would struggle to accommodate without the nonsensical additional point cap space. His history at Sth is irrelevant as if it wasn't Sully they would have used $$ and extra point cap space to get some other marquee player to the club - that's how they roll....

But for sake of accuracy your facts are wrong as I know beyond a shadow of doubt that Sth spoke to Sully and the talk was more around work opportunities for him and his GF. Can even tell you the restaurant where they met!! Talks never progressed to the stage of $$ offer as Sully was always going to Pt Fairy.

And the meeting took place at the request of Sully not Sth. Happened just before Matt shopped himself round in the paper. Sth. never really thought they were in the running until very late on when there was a meeting with Sully.

So not sure where you are getting your information from in relation to contract offer from Sth as he was never given one. You have your facts wrong trying to claim Sth offered more than the reported 25k Sully is getting at Pt Fairy. Quite simply Sth don't have those $$ resources. Let's be honest Sully, Nicholson and Holmer would all be on in excess of 20k.

Also Sth were always confident off getting Saunders as a "marquee signing" and were never going to be in the position to attract both players. Before you all speculate can also guarantee that Saunders is on significantly less than 20k in actual football payments. He is being helped with some educational/training opportunities as well as some other non footy opportunities.

The reality is Sully, Nicholson & Holmer combined would be getting more than the entire football budget of Sth and I would imagine many other clubs.

Good luck to Pt Fairy doing this, but history shows it isn't sustainable and it will turn to shit sooner rather than later.

What is also fact is regardless of where Sully played juniors the Sth Warrnambool football club did an awful lot for Matt Sully. One particular Sth person had an awful lot to do with Sully getting a look in on Geelong VFL list and also helped him with contacts at Southport - Matt knows this all to well himself and he has let this person down terribly with some of his actions.

Interesting that the so called Sully family connections to Pt Fairy only became important this year when there was 25k on the table? They were not relevant when Gerald Sully coached Sth U/18's and Matt was playing in a senior premiership at Sth five years ago and Pt were struggling. Also be interested to see how important the family ties are in a few years when the wheels fall off at the violet crumbles like they always do......

Pretty sure it is common knowledge Sully played juniors for the Hawks. Also think you will find Sully played 2 years of senior footy at Sth as he played in the losing GF in 2010 and winning one in 2011. Regardless of where Sully played his juniors it is still a farce that Pt Fairy have been allocated 5 additional pts in the cap.

The pts cap allocation has nothing to do with Sully other than the fact without the injustice of Pt Fairy having 5pts more they would not have been able to recruit him with a $$ offer that was too good to refuse.

On what grounds do Pt Fairy require 5 more points than Warrnambool, Koroit, Nth & Sth, who are the 4 other clubs in this region of the HFNL.

I have no issue with Sully playing with Pt Fairy and Pt Fairy recruiting Sully but they should have had to do this with the same point cap of 40 as other clubs, which may have resulted in them not being able to retain and/or recruit another player. So essentially his recruitment should have come with a cost benefit to the club.

Anyway decision has been made and the 2017 season tainted before it starts - as the * will be there all year and into the finals.
Bang take that Phooty hed!! Best post in the whole thread I reckon. Absolutely spot on with everything said!

You are grossly misinformed here, sully had offers from a number of
Vfl clubs at the end of 2011, including Geelong- (yes, without g Walsh) although Gary introduced sully to James rahilly he already had an invite to pre season with them.. :O SHOCK! And you're arguing with the wrong person here because south had not one thing to do with Southport, trust me on that one.
And don't say you have no issue with sully playing at port your just another salty south supporter who
Can not believe that someone wouldn't want to play at their 'amazing' club.
It's blokes like you wilko who are ruining the image of South talking the amount of rot you are, so take the presidents (hardimans) advice, thank sully for his time and move on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back